• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warm Hats (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
I am not a 'hat person' and, fortunately, had been blessed with a reasonably resilient head of hair to keep me warm. Recently, however, with the passing of the years I have been feeling the cold in adverse weather conditions and have resorted to wearing a hat to keep my head and ears warm.

I found a cheap, peaked, flat topped cap with drop-down ear flaps and a warm faux fur lining in a local sportswear retailer. It only cost about £4 and is excellent. It doesn't even look too ridiculous, except for in a strong head wind when the ear flaps fly out sideways giving me the appearance of a Beagle in full pursuit of its quarry.

The only drawback is that it isn't waterproof, as I found when I went out in falling snow the other day. I am now looking for a suitable, waterproof alternative. I have found the Sealskinz Winter Hat, which looks as if it might fit the bill but has anybody had any experience of it or can you suggest anything else suitable?

What do you wear on your head in cold weather?

Ron

You could buy waterproofing stuff in camping shops - might be worth a go - (it might double the price of your hat, but still cheaper than a new proper one ... )

Wouldn't one be wearing some kind of waterproof hardshell with a hood you can pull over your hat in the kind of weather where snow/sleet/ doesn't stay frozen?

Got to be a woolly hat - I can't stand anything covering my earholes as much of my birding relies on hearing.

Thanks for the replies.

I had thought about buying a spray-on waterproofing. I might give it a go as a cheap solution.

I use a hood when it is not cold enough for a hat. I could try putting it over my hat to see it that works, although I find with hoods that if I turn sideways too quickly, I end up with an eyeful of hood rather than what I am hoping to see.

I have never got the hang of woolly hats, although if it is good enough for Shane Macgowan it should be good enough for anyone. ;) Forty years in a printing environment have destroyed my high frequency hearing anyway.

Ron

....I use a hood when it is not cold enough for a hat. I could try putting it over my hat to see it that works, although I find with hoods that if I turn sideways too quickly, I end up with an eyeful of hood rather than what I am hoping to see...

If you can cinch the hood around your face that should mitigate the problem. If not, the hat brim/beak may help move the hood with your face.

I've used mountain hats for years - waterproof, fleece lined and stiff brim which you can reposition and they cover your ears if you fold them down. Can be pricey but often found in the sales. Berghaus AQ2 is at the dearer end £22-£30 but Regatte X-ert is a bit more reasonable £9-£10 or so. If you look around they can be found in green too.

Nospringchicken,

It seems we all eventually find what we are comfotable with.

If it rains or snows I put my hood up, otherwise sooner or later my neck gets wet. I've a Mountain Equipment waterproof jacket and a softshell from Arcteryx, both with hoods.

But I've also been feeling the cold more, and this winter have been converted by my expensive daughters to using alpaca for an easy to wear, toasty, bob hat.
"Alpaca...is a soft, durable, luxurious and silky natural fiber. While similar to sheep’s wool, it is warmer, not prickly, and has no lanolin, which makes it hypoallergenic. Alpaca is naturally water-repellent and difficult to ignite."

For colder/wet summer days I like a traditional flat cap.
For me, hats must fit in a pocket when not being used.

Most of the time I wear a 'normal' flat cap but when it gets really cold then a wooly thinsulate hat pulled right down comes out. For years I had a Soviet tank commanders hat. A bit like a short peacked baseball cap but fleece lined and with ear flaps that fastened under your chin. Looked totally stupid but kept me warm.

Chris

I wear a beanie with Banff 2003 on it. Not only does it keep my head warm but it helps me remember my anniversary. Forgetting that would be far more dangerous than any cold weather;)

Oh and hood up when it rains.

Rich

A couple of years ago a friend who swore by flat hats visited - its amazing how far a hat can go when blown off at the top of a high hill.

I have two myself so I am not anti!

Mainly though a woolly hat and hood up in winter and an extremely ancient wax hat with a brim for summer downpours - rolls up and takes up minimal space.

Last edited:
Mountains and wild places are my forte, birding came accidentally. I have used the SealSkinz hat and gloves for many years now, and I have never been let down by them.

Very warm, very waterproof, and an added bonus of the peak being high enough not to interfere when using an eyepiece. You do lose.some sound perception, but being freezing cold and not able to concentrate is to me far far worse.

I have used the SealSkinz hat and gloves for many years now, and I have never been let down by them.
Is this one you use? I have been looking at these but I would like to try one on before buying as I have a feeling I might look like a toy soldier in one. You can find them a lot cheaper at some other sites online.

Ron

Mountains and wild places are my forte, birding came accidentally. I have used the SealSkinz hat and gloves for many years now, and I have never been let down by them.

Very warm, very waterproof, and an added bonus of the peak being high enough not to interfere when using an eyepiece. You do lose.some sound perception, but being freezing cold and not able to concentrate is to me far far worse.

Second that, I have used the thermal waterproof hat whilst birding above the Arctic Circle, excellent, - the waterproof and thermal gloves had to be used with silk liners to achieve warmth. I couldn't afford the sixty pound pair.

If money is not an issue then Paramo's waterproof cap might do the job for you. But, yikes, have the prices gone up on this!

Mine is about ten years old. I really don't like hats, so I only wear them when the weather is really atrocious, but this one does what it says on the tin. Also, if you wear a hood over it then the brim/peak ensures that the hood turns with you as you turn your head. You can have the ear flaps down, or you can wear them hidden under the cap. Size is adjustable, and there's an S/M and an M/L model.

Good thing about Paramo is that their stuff is pretty bomb proof, and they ethically produce their gear in South America. It's comparatively heavy compared with other outdoor gear.

Andrea

I have six different hats for birding, worn separately, or in combination, depending on weather conditions and a great cause of amusement to non-birding family and friends! As a specs wearer I always wear at least one hat to keep the sun out of my eyes and the rain off my specs. I hate hoods too. I only cover my ears if it's a necessity to prevent frostbite! I don't like chin straps and prefer an adjustable toggle at the rear.

I have two adjustable bucket hats with a 2 inch brim; summer wear.
I have an adjustable bucket hat with a 3 inch brim; raining but not too windy.
I have a waterproof winter hat similar to the SealSkinz (link in #14)

I have a conventional woolly hat and a thin, but warm hat called a Cronkie (like a skull cap with ear covers, which can be folded upwards). When it's cold, these last two hats can be worn underneath any of the above, but I find the Cronkie great with one of the summer hats. The summer hats tend to absorb the rain and it's a long time before the Cronkie or my head gets wet. Wearing one of these hats with the waterproof winter hat is a last resort; I look a complete pillock!

What about one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Original-Beard-Beanie-Coffee/dp/B00A74O988/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359206913&sr=8-1

Well Ron did say "keep 'em coming"

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I'm tempted by a sealskinz.
Also reminds me of the time I went birding and photographing on a cold, breezy day with an architect friend who decided he'd wear his new fedora!
Took a couple of classic snaps of it floating down the River Lea at Three Mills.

Nicest traditional flat caps I've ever bought are from Bates on Jermyn St. and Lock & Co round the corner on St James's St.
http://www.bates-hats.co.uk/

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back