• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya in 2014 (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Hi folks.
I've started tentatively looking at organising a trip to Kenya in 2014. I've already bookmarked lots of websites with Kenya info and trip reports.

However, being a lazy sod, rather than try to digest the load of information that I've already got access to I thought I'd seek advice here to, hopefully, narrow down my options before getting into the detail - I'll only have 14 birding days.

My initial look at what's available shows that there are 2 rainy seasons on the coast, eastern plateaus and lake basin whilst the highlands in the west only have one. Also, it seems that most people, whether going with an organised tour or independently (unless there for an extended period or can afford tour extensions) visit either the coastal area or go to the west.

I am hoping that you will be able to advise on the pros and cons of the best time to visit (trip reports seem to cover the whole year) and the same for which part(s) of the country can be sensibly cover in my timeframe. I suppose that as this is likely to be a one-off seeing the large mammals should have some priority.

many thanks in advance
Gordon

HI Gordon,

there are no best times in Kenya , although the two rainy seasons [ Nov/dec] and [ April / June ] coincide with migrants arrivals and departures . May and November are normally offseason for tourism , so air tickets and hotels may be a bit cheaper .
The usual tour of 14 days takes you upto Mt Kenya , then Samburu, across to Baringo , along to Kakamega and Nakuru, with Kisumu and Mara following . Finally a stop in Naivasha is the final stage .
As you have said you cannot do coast , Amboseli or Tsavo , which are great birding places , within the 14 days if you do the normal tour.
I recommend you get in touch with Joseph Kariuki , of Nature's wonderland safaris [ he has a website ] to get more info . I have known Joseph for 13 years and he is a great organiser and a really good birder
by the way did you see the Urban birder's article on Nairobi in the Feb , edition of Birwatching ?

Mike D in nairobi

Hi folks.
I've started tentatively looking at organising a trip to Kenya in 2014. I've already bookmarked lots of websites with Kenya info and trip reports.

However, being a lazy sod, rather than try to digest the load of information that I've already got access to I thought I'd seek advice here to, hopefully, narrow down my options before getting into the detail - I'll only have 14 birding days.

My initial look at what's available shows that there are 2 rainy seasons on the coast, eastern plateaus and lake basin whilst the highlands in the west only have one. Also, it seems that most people, whether going with an organised tour or independently (unless there for an extended period or can afford tour extensions) visit either the coastal area or go to the west.

I am hoping that you will be able to advise on the pros and cons of the best time to visit (trip reports seem to cover the whole year) and the same for which part(s) of the country can be sensibly cover in my timeframe. I suppose that as this is likely to be a one-off seeing the large mammals should have some priority.

many thanks in advance
Gordon

Hi Gordon,
I visited Kenya each year for the last three Scottish school summer holidays (most expensive time to visit -but tied to this unfortunately). We plan to head back again this summer.

The range of habitats and the birding in Kenya is really too vast to give anything more than a "taster" in a two week trip. I would suggest you decide upon what birds you want to see most and construct an itinerary around them. We use a small Nairobi-based company to book our accommodation and we always use the same driver/guide who has now become a family friend -he is a reasonably good birder and knows the National Parks very well. In recent times he has hosted a few Scottish birders.

Clearly Mike knows Kenya much better than me and so I can only offer up views from a visitors perspective but I would agree that an itinerary taking in Samburu; the Rift Valley lakes: -Naivasha (freshwater), Nakuru(alkaline but with some fish life and currently almost no flamingos), Baringo (freshwater and with good birding sites nearby) and Bogoria (soda lake with plenty of L. Flamingo); Kakamega and the Mara would be worth looking at.

Depending on flight times you may need to spend a first and last night in Nairobi -but the National Park (and other sites nearby) offer up good birding. Given that a lot of time is wasted on the road I think you would really need 16-17 nights to cover the above.
A possible itinerary would be: Nairobi->Mount Kenya( 1night) ->Samburu(3 nights)->Baringo (includes Bogoria, 3 nights)->Kakamega via the Kerio valley (3 nights) ->the Mara (3 nights) ->Nakuru (2nights) -> Naivasha(1 night) -->Nairobi (1night).

Any itinerary will be expensive for a single birder. If you can share costs then clearly it will be much cheaper. There are expenses that are not immediately obvious -for instance you will have to pay for your driver/guide's accommodation and park entry fees as well as your own. Currently it will cost 3x$80>$240 for 3 days in the Mara for your park fees alone not including the guide and vehicle!

Kenyan cannot be done cheaply these days but the potential rewards are great. If you have any queries -feel free to ask. My trips have all been with family in-tow so I had to curtail my enthusiasm but you can get an idea of what we've seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/sets/72157624448556199/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/sets/72157629350031421/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/sets/72157627846502910/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/sets/72157624904395216/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/sets/72157624087298235/

Gordon

I should have added that the rift valley lakes are all flooded at the moment and Baringo lodge out of action . Nakuru is awash with birds , Check before you move whether they have changed by 2014 . Joseph will give you a better update .

Mike

Thanks Mike - more food for thought.

cheers
Gordon

Hi folks.

many thanks in advance
Gordon

Hi Gordon,
I have been on the forum and finds Mike Davidson recommending you to me. I would be happy to help you arrange your 2014 birding safari in Kenya if you give me the chance to do so!!! As also advice by other client please not on the Park fees charges as mentioned are correct and somehow they Significantlly makes tour for a single person to look expensive but then it a worth trip to remember kindly you can mail me on [email protected] and will advice you further.

With kind regards from,

Joseph Mwangi
Nature's Wonderland Safaris
P.o Box 5763-00100 G.P.O
Tel +254 - 020 - 2211402
+254 - 020 - 2211413

Cell phones +254-(0)722-987544
+254-(0)735-734788
Fax +254-(0)20 -2211413
Nairobi,Kenya.
E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]
http://www.natureswonderlandsafaris.com

Thanks to all of you.
I won't be making any firm decisions for a while yet but will obviously bear all your comments in mind. Joseph, I may be in touch but it won't be for a few months at the earliest as others are involved and are researching other destinations before we reach a final decision on where to go.

all the best
Gordon

Thanks to all of you.
I won't be making any firm decisions for a while yet but will obviously bear all your comments in mind. Joseph, I may be in touch but it won't be for a few months at the earliest as others are involved and are researching other destinations before we reach a final decision on where to go.

all the best
Gordon

Hi Gordon,
Thanks for your swift response. Do not worry if there comes time in few months time you can always get in touch and will assist for anything. Or else if are a group of few birders and wish also to do joining for scheduled birding safari, do not hesitate to let me know and can always advice on available spaces.
cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back