• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

permits for visiting national parks/wildlife reserves (1 Viewer)

Chlidonias

just a quick question. Does a visitor need permits to visit the national parks and wildlife reserves in China, and how does one go about obtaining them if so? Can you get them at the entry point as in other countries or do you apply in advance, or something else? Or does it vary depending on where you are visiting?

It depends on the Park.

Some require nothing, some are completely closed and some charge US dollars by the day.

Where are you planning to go?

Cheers

I haven't set my plans yet, but the following are in the running:

*Foping (I know this one can only be visited via tour)
*Tangjiahe National Nature Reserve
*Fanjing Mountains Natural Reserve
*Gaoligongshan National Nature Reserve

For Gaoligongshan, the most-visited site is Baihualin, above the west bank of the Salween, perhaps 60km south of Liuku. Here are a couple of posts about Baihualin..

A 2012 blog post

http://johnjemi.hk/journey_tr/cn/yn08_03/baihualing.html

And a 2008 trip report. Note that the S230 road has been superseded by a new road higher up the hill side, and the turnoff is harder to find - the Km markers are different

http://johnjemi.blogspot.hk/2012/02/yunnan-janfeb-2012-part-two.html

The main thing is that pre "permission" is not required.

Hope these help.

thanks for that John (although I can't get the last [2008] link to load unfortunately). I like the photo of the takin.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back