• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Desert Sparrows M'hamid (1 Viewer)

rockjumper

Hi can anyone advise which of the bedoiun camps in M'hamid have Desert Sparrows please. I have read they are there and dont know if this is just one or two or generally present everywhere. I have contacted one local camp who informed me they have simplex present and sent me photos of domesticus. Leaving this Sat so a prompt answer would be really appreciuated - also any other local gen would be great too ;)

Cheers,

Dave.

Are you only going to M'hamid? There were Desert Sparrows present at the northern Erg Chebbi camps (Merzouga) last weekend (although I failed to see any due to the nature of my visit this time).

Hi Brian, yes only going as far east as Tagdilt track as I have been to Merzouga x2 before and seen the Sparrows there both times. I am on my own this time and dont want to spend too much time driving and wanted to try somewhere new, thanks anyway.

What birding I did was relatively hard work last weekend and lots failed to show. Best was a pair of Bonelli's Eagles. These would probably be on your route if you are interested in the location.

Hi Dave,

I drove down as far as M'hamid in March 2011. I wasn't looking for Desert Sparrows, having had great views previously near Merzouga, but did bump into a singing male close to the road a few kms before the town (i.e. without need for a camel or 4x4 tour to a camp).

Playing around on Google Earth, it was at:
29°50'44.65"N
5°37'9.92"W

Approaching for the north, after Tagounite, drive south on the road (N9), over the next hill range (c.6 km after the town) and after another 7 or so kms of fairly barren desert, the road turns slightly to the SW and you enter an area where suddenly there are more bushes (the dividing line is very clear on Google Earth). This is also at the point where an irrigation channel (I presume that is what it is) comes to be close alongside to road for a few hundred metres.

I explored just a few hundred yards, mostly to the NW of the road and there was a male Desert Sparrow signing more or less constantly.

Further down the road, the last couple of kms before M'hamid held several Brown-necked Ravens.

Hope this helps

Nick

Nick, thanks very much for the gen that is very useful. I think I have enough to go on now to try it. There are also a number of sightings in the wadi immediately to the east of where you have said so I'm think it seems to be the right place to try. Much appreciated, thank you.

Brian, thanks for the offer of gen on Bonelli's, yes of course if its within striking distance of M'hamid / Boulmalne it would be useful. If you want to leave it privately tyou can contact me through my web pages or email [email protected]

Thanks,

Dave.

www.pbase.com/davebarnes

Just a quick follow-up. I did see the Desert Sparrows at M'Hamid but the camp was unnamed. It was south-west of M'Hamid after driving out of Old M'Hamid to a Military outpost in the dunes then heading west across the desert. I would say without local knowledge impossible to find. The sparrows I saw were at an unnamed 'bedouin' camp owned by the local Faska. He drove my 2 wheel drive car through the dunes to his set up and as soon as he started up his motor driven water pump the sparrows came in to drink. I saw at least 5 birds. On the way back 1 Sparrow was at the well of the Military outpost - must be like living like John Tracey out there!! Anyway I would imaging all the locals know the Military outpost and you could probably see them there and just get a local to show you to the outpost, they did check my papers though, out of boredom I think. Overall I would say the Merzouga birds are easier and there is a better supporting cast of birds around Merzouga too.

I got some pics; http://www.pbase.com/davebarnes/desert_sparrow_passer_simplex

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back