• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wilson Reserve, Melbourne (1 Viewer)

MikeMules

I finished work early today, and spent an hour at Wilson Reserve, a small suburban park on the Yarra River in Melbourne. Mostly, I was hoping for some swifts to go overhead as a cool change came through today (it was 35 deg. yesterday, and about 28 deg. when I went out today, with 75% humidity). Unfortunately, no luck, although there were dozens of Welcome Swallows out hawking for insects over the cricket pitch. Over the last 6 months, I've seen over 80 spp. in the reserve, but today, only 37.

The main billabong is very low on water, which means lots of exposed mud. On it were a pair of Latham's Snipe, probing the mud, White-browed Scrubwrens, Superb Fairy-wrens, Dusky Moorhen and a Blackbird. Black Duck and a Mallard (unfortunately) were swimming nearby, and Red-rumped Parrots, Red-browed Finches, Eastern Rosella and Tree Martin were flying around.

Other highlights were excellent views of a Spotless Crake, Golden Whistler and a Common Bronzewing Pigeon dusting itself on the track.

I've got to look up Superb Fairy-wren - it sounds amazing!

Is your Blackbird the same as our (UK) Blackbird - and do I take it you have a problem with MallardS?

Great to hear about the birds Down Under.

"Oh my word!"

That was my reflex response.

Thanks for the link TonyK - and Mike, I'm now even more envious than first time round!

Hi Birdman,

yes, the blackbird here is the Common Blackbird (Turdus merula). It was introduced along with a whole suite of other feral nasties in the nineteenth century, in order to "beautify and civilise the bushland".

And yes, Superb Fairy-wrens are absolutely gorgeous, as well as fairly common, wherever there is multi-layered undergrowth. Although they are perhaps not quite as gorgeous as the Splendid Fairy-wren, where the male is completely blue - about 4 different shades.

Sounds nice! I would love to visit Aussie or NZ one day. Is a Billabong a small pond or can it be any size?

Hi Andrew, a billabong is an old curve of a creek or river that has been isolated as the river has changed its course. They can be anything in size from a short jump across, to needing a boat to navigate.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back