• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hong Kongs Yellow Wagtails (ID) (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
After reading the field guide I have, I am still a little unclear as to the various species of Yellow Wagtail that occur in Hong Kong.
I have attached several photographs which were all taken at Long Valley in late January.
I would be grateful for any feedback on these and any information regarding the species that would 'normally' occur in Hong Kong.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• YW1.jpg
    YW1.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 62
  • YW2.jpg
    YW2.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 70
  • YW3.jpg
    YW3.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 80
  • YW4.jpg
    YW4.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 57
  • YW5.jpg
    YW5.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 53
The first bird is a bit tricky, but I think is taivana, two, four and five are all taivana, but the best news is that No 2 is a Citrine Wagtail - a distinctive bird that was around all winter and into February at least.

Cheers
Mike

So, Eos9, you're not satisfied with the confused taxonomy of Stonechats, you're now moving onto the murky waters of Yellow Wagtails.

I agree with others - #2, 4 & 5 are taivana (easily identifiable by the yellow in the supercilium), by far the commonest of the Yellow Wagtails in HK in winter (probably >95% of individuals).
#3 is a Citrine Wagtail.

#1 is a macronyx, which occurs mostly on passage but a few also overwinter. There seem to have been a few of them overwintering at Long Valley this year, and the mudflats at Mai Po are also a good location for this taxon. There is a bit of variation in head pattern, and a few have a slight supercilium around the eye, as on this bird. The real question is how this can be distinguished from thunbergi, and if anyone knows the answer I'd be interested to know!

For completeness, we also get tschutschensis (=simillima) in HK, but mostly on spring migration and it's rare in winter.

So, what's next? You're not going to start bombarding us with photos of Japanese/Manchurian Bush Warblers or "Blyth's" Leaf Warblers are you?

Hi John - Thanks for the input regarding Hong Kongs Yellow Wagtails .
I don't mean to 'bombard' the Forum with my photographs but from a personal point of view I do like to be clear exactly what they are as this will certainly be useful knowledge during any future trips.
Obviously the field guides rarely cover all plumage types / variations etc and certainly the macronyx in particular isn't well illustrated in the guide I have.
Unfortunately I didn't get anything on the Bush or Blyths Leaf Warblers you mention but maybe I can make a more concerted effort to get these on my next visit - lol

So, Eos9, you're not satisfied with the confused taxonomy of Stonechats, you're now moving onto the murky waters of Yellow Wagtails.

No 3 is of course the Citrine Wagtail - not No 2 - thanks James.

Eos9 please do keep bombarding the forum!

John loves tricky groups - just don't get him started on White Wagtails . . .

Cheers
Mike

Funny you should mention White Wagtails Mike - lol, I managed a photo of what I believe to be Motacilla (alba) leucopsis. I couldn't decide on the commonly used English name, but it seems Amur Wagtail is favourite with some people and organisations so have settled with that.

No 3 is of course the Citrine Wagtail - not No 2 - thanks James.

Eos9 please do keep bombarding the forum!

John loves tricky groups - just don't get him started on White Wagtails . . .

Cheers
Mike

Yes, do keep posting photos. My comment was intended with a certain amount of sarcasm. The two groups I mentioned would be particularly tricky though!

Actually I was particularly interested in this Yellow Wagtail thread. As Mike mentioned I have been particularly interested in wagtails for the last few years, especially White. So yes, do keep posting here!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back