• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions for birders knowledgeable about Cornwall (1 Viewer)

treecreeper

unashamed dude
Hi,

I'm planning on walking the section of the South West Coast Path between St Ives and Coverack over six days in May. I'd be grateful if anyone would offer me advice on the best places to catch up with the following species:

Dartford Warbler

Cirl Bunting: Although I have read that the Roseland Peninsula is the best part of Cornwall to see this species, I do believe they occur further west. Any help much appreciated.

Bear in mind that I will be keeping an eye on the Cornwall Birding website before I set off. Black Redstart seems to be a regular sighting and I just wondered if anyone knows of any particularly reliable area for this species. Apologies if I am asking for info on species which you deem to be sensitive. If you'd rather pm me or not at all then I understand.

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom - I think you've hit the nail on the head with the "sensitive" tag! Not sure how many Black Redstarts will remain by May but always a chance of an overshooting goody from the Med (Hoopoe, Woodchat, Bee-eater, Subalp etc)

Ok thanks Phil. It is more rewarding to see species when you are not necessarily expecting them. I had a feeling this info was too sensitive as it's quite difficult to find stuff about these species in Cornwall anywhere on the net.

Tom,

I have heard of supposed locations in Cornwall for Dartford Warbler however have never seen any. Certainly the area you mention was not a location given for them. As for Black Redstart the area around Penzance railway station is fairly reliable certainly over the winter.

Can't comment on Cirl Buntings!

I've seen Dartford Warblers on the Lizard before, but they are at very low densities and I think I saw them maybe twice in 3 years in the county. I can echo Phil in saying that the chances of a Woodchat Shrike or something of a similar calibre will be very high somewhere along your route. Wouldn't surprise me at all if you found something yourself, many parts of the coastal path are rather under watched, or at least birds go unreported.

Hi Tom as previously mentioned, both species are a bit site sensitive at that time of year and we won't be publishing sightings on Cornwall Birding of those species as they are both Schedule 1 breeders! As others have said tho, keep your eyes peeled up there, its a great area and a bit underwatched so you never know what you'll find!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back