PDA

View Full Version : Pine Grosbeaks on the Move !

jpoyner
Wednesday 3rd November 2004, 17:42
Seems there is the start of a big invasion of Pine Grosbeak into Sweden, reportedly bigger than the one in 2000. Up to 2000 birds reported, believed to be of Russian origin. Interestingly accompanied by Northen Bullfinches of the type arriving here in the Northern Isles.
Eyes peeled!

Reported by David Erterius, Sweden on "Eurotwitch" newgroup.

JP

Tammie
Wednesday 3rd November 2004, 18:15
I'm hoping for good numbers of them here as well. Right now, I've only seen 4 but the season's early yet. Maybe by December I'll have all kinds! :)

Michael W
Wednesday 3rd November 2004, 23:55
I'm not in Sweden, but I saw a female Pine Grosbeak here this morning. The first one ever here and I think they're pretty rare. Maybe this move includes all the continents where they live! They're such cool birds!

erik
Monday 8th November 2004, 20:59
They have been spotted in Germany, 100 km from the dutch borders! As well many many waxwings so far in Holland. about 850 birds seen yet over the last weeks!

Karl J
Monday 8th November 2004, 23:17
Do they ever make it to the UK ?

Bluetail
Monday 8th November 2004, 23:24
Karl, I think there are just 11 records, the last two being in 1992 and 2000. Both were in Shetland, IIRC, and the latter was a non-twitchable one-day bird.

Karl J
Tuesday 9th November 2004, 07:30
Ok ... thanks

Joern Lehmhus
Tuesday 9th November 2004, 08:39
I think the Pine Grosbeaks near Damme , lower Saxony, Germany, have not been refound-
But lots of Waxwings on the move (still not near Bonn, sadly enough), and Redwings seem to be more numerous than usual
...on the other hand , some Firecrests are still here...

CJW
Tuesday 9th November 2004, 08:41
The 1992 Bird (http://www.wildlife.shetland.co.uk/pics/pine_gr.jpg)

erik
Tuesday 16th November 2004, 11:46
First pine grosbeak spotted In Leeuwarden, The Netherlands, deadly tired bird, flew against a window and was taken to a bird recovery centre.

They are on the move!!

edenwatcher
Tuesday 16th November 2004, 16:20
First pine grosbeak spotted In Leeuwarden, The Netherlands, deadly tired bird, flew against a window and was taken to a bird recovery centre.

They are on the move!!

That bird has now died. However Birdguides reports 2 males near Groningen today. Over here please!

Rob