• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Denali 7x42 (1 Viewer)

marcus

Here's another one. On Monday I sent away for an Eagle Optics Denali 7x32 and they were just delivered. It's nighttime so I can't tell yet how bright and clear they are. I'll wait until tommorrow. They sure seem good, and the twist-up eyecups stay in place. I just have to get used to 7 power. I'm so used to 8x or 10x. But the 'greatest' are those 7x42 Zeiss ClassiCs, aren't they?
marcus

Marcus,

I've had my eye on these for several months, but haven't run across any real reviews of them. I eagerly await your review, and hope you end up liking them!

As for the 7x42 Classics being the "greatest", I think this is really a matter of opinion. Different people look for different things in binoculars, and the greatest for one person might be completely unworkable for another. I sort of look at it in terms of "the right tool for the right job". I like using low power binoculars for all-around viewing, but in the evening I always grab my Pentax 10x50 for their low-light performance. If I'm going hiking, I like compact binoculars because they don't weigh me down, and if I'm going to the lake where there will be a lot of flying birds I'll usually grab something with a higher power to check out the high flyers. I don't think the best all-around binocular has been invented yet, probably the closest thing would be the Leica Duovid 8x-12x. However, even that marvelous binocular is too heavy for real long-term viewing, at least in my opinion.

Best wishes,
Bawko

I said that about the 7x42 Zeiss, because I knew the European folks might be reading this and I wanted to be nice to them. I agree that whether or not those binos are really the 'greatest' is a matter of opinion.
These new Denali binos are very good, especially for just $89.00, (plus $11.00 tax and shipping).
marcus

marcus said:
I said that about the 7x42 Zeiss, because I knew the European folks might be reading this and I wanted to be nice to them. I agree that whether or not those binos are really the 'greatest' is a matter of opinion.
These new Denali binos are very good, especially for just $89.00, (plus $11.00 tax and shipping).
marcus

Marcus,

Could you give a little mor information about the Denalis. I have been looking that them and wondering how good could they be for $89. How do they compare to other low and mid priced roofs?

Tony

Ok, Tony
I think that they are just great! The eye-relief may be a little to good, but the eyecups twist back to wear you want them and they are not too loose. I have not ever looked through a Zeiss FL, or any Swarovski, but they are absolutely great for just $89.00.
marcus

I was just looking through this old thread and I saw where I made a mistake. I bought a 7x32 not x42.
Oh, by the way, last week I did order another Eagle Optics Denali, this time a 8x42, but I was told that I will have to wait about 4 weeks to get it.

marcus said:
I was just looking through this old thread and I saw where I made a mistake. I bought a 7x32 not x42.
Oh, by the way, last week I did order another Eagle Optics Denali, this time a 8x42, but I was told that I will have to wait about 4 weeks to get it.

Marcus,
If you would like to have a REALLY fine bino from Eagle Optics, I highly recommend their Platinum Series 6 x 32 Roof Prisms. They are fully multicoated, have Phase Coating on the prisms, have a 420' FOV at 1000 yards and focus down to 4 feet! They are very bright with their 5.2 exit pupil. They have screw down eyecups and about 19mm eye relief and weigh about 19 ounces. They are very solid, rubber coated and ergonomically friendly to your hands, fingers and thumbs. Don't worry about the 6 power, you wont be able to tell them from 7x's. They are a great "walking around in the woods looking for warblers" bino. and handy as heck to keep in the car. I take them flyfishing to look at bugs on the water. You will see their superiority over the Denali 7 x 32 instantly. They cost $200.00 more than the Denali's and I guarantee that you will use them.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back