• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you help me? :) (1 Viewer)

Suselbee

Hello all you fabulous birdy people!
So basically, I joined this forum for a bit of help. I hope it doesn't sound odd, but there's a duck in my area that I'd like help identifying.
Now, this duck has been chilling on the river Wansbeck in the middle of Morpeth for a few years now. It's been going by the name Hermaphroduck due to it's colourings.
You see, it looks like a mallard duck, however, it has the head of a male mallard, and the body of a female, but without the flecked edges of the feathers. So it's just one shade of brown. We considered it might be a youngster, but after seeing it with the other mallards, we realised it's significantly larger. He/she also seems somewhat of an outcast from the other mallards. I'm not sure if it's a deformation of a normal mallard. But I thought I'd come and see in case I'm being a muppet.
It doesn't have the white collar of a male mallard or the little flick of the tail feather. It does have a slight white patch on the tail end like a mallard and a very small black tail. But it's certainly not much compared to the other males. I shall try my hardest for you to get a decent picture and help you guys out with this little birdy challenge.
Thank you all for the help! Look forward to hearing back. :)

Hello all you fabulous birdy people!
So basically, I joined this forum for a bit of help. I hope it doesn't sound odd, but there's a duck in my area that I'd like help identifying.
Now, this duck has been chilling on the river Wansbeck in the middle of Morpeth for a few years now. It's been going by the name Hermaphroduck due to it's colourings.
You see, it looks like a mallard duck, however, it has the head of a male mallard, and the body of a female, but without the flecked edges of the feathers. So it's just one shade of brown. We considered it might be a youngster, but after seeing it with the other mallards, we realised it's significantly larger. He/she also seems somewhat of an outcast from the other mallards. I'm not sure if it's a deformation of a normal mallard. But I thought I'd come and see in case I'm being a muppet.
It doesn't have the white collar of a male mallard or the little flick of the tail feather. It does have a slight white patch on the tail end like a mallard and a very small black tail. But it's certainly not much compared to the other males. I shall try my hardest for you to get a decent picture and help you guys out with this little birdy challenge.
Thank you all for the help! Look forward to hearing back. :)

It's a Mallard x ? domestic variety hybrid, there are a number around on the Wansbeck and at QEII Country Park, Leazes Park in Newcastle etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back