• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

paintshop pro9, photoshop, photo elements (1 Viewer)

I'm trying to evaluate which software to get into Paint shop pro9 (new release), photoshop or photo elements.

I'm wondering if anyone is using paint shop pro. According to reviews it offers similar capabilities as photoshop7 with a more user friendly interface.

I'm more in the amature bracket and my two serious contenders are photo-elements and paintshop pro. Based on some product reviews it sounds like paintshop pro has more bang for the buck than photoshop elements. Just wondering what people who actually use these products feel.

Also would be interested if anyone identifies things that photoshop elements does that paintshop pro does not.

Todd

I have used Paint Shop Pro for years and I just can't get on with the elements interface at all. That might just be inertia on my part but I have given it a good go. I haven't come across anything I have needed to do that I can't achieve in PSP but then I am just an amateur who needs to tweak his pics a bit. So from a personal point of view PSP wins hands down.

Yeah, I'm with Brian on this one - there's already far more in PSP than most hobbyists will ever use...

What kind of usage are you talking about, Todd?

I'm just getting into dgiscoping and hence images that come from the camera all have to go through the software enhancing mode as outlined in just about every digiscoping page out there.

With digiscoping there probably is never enough images taken to find that one good one that you really want to exploit and bring out the real beauty.

I will want to perform the first inital phot enhancements relatively painlessly on chosen photos and on the real good ones get into more photo enhancement to bring out the gems so to speak.

Last edited:
Well, I have tried PSP so often but always gone back to Photoshop for ease (well, a little more easy...) of use. PSE2 is difficult to beat and has received many accolades.

PSE3 is out now - but I'll not be paying for an upgrade. Aren't they cheeky asking for £50+ for that!

Last edited:
I go with Steve on this one. Elements 2.0 seems to have all the basics needed for the amateurs such as myself,very simple to use.

I guess in doing further research, part of this inquiry is not fair. What I've found is that paintshop pro is similar to photoshop and then paintshop studio pro is similar to photoshop elements. However the elements and studio perform a slightly different task than the two larger relatives. There are things that elements does that photshop does not and visa versa.

So I guess the real question is there any real disadvantage or advantage of the paintshop products over the photoshop products respectively. Price is already accounted for! From the features specification it doesn't appear to be any other than usability and learning curve.

I have both PSP9 and Photoshop Elements 2. I find the interface for PSP to be MUCH better. However, I have been using PSP for years, so that is probably influencing me. (I received Elements free wih my scanner). Generally speaking, I think that PSP is better, and certainly more flexible.

I've used both Paintshop Pro and Photoshop (full), both version 7. While I use Photoshop mostly these days for compatibility reasons (most how-to articles and graphics shops use photoshop), I think it's drastically overpriced and has a pretty klunky user interface. I found Paint Shop Pro to have a more intuitive user interface and do everything Photoshop will do. At least I couldn't find anything I wanted to do that it wouldn't. You just have to work around the terminology differences in some cases. FYI, I'd rate myself as "intermediate" in image-editing skill level.

Hi todd.benko,
I too have used Paintshop Pro for years and more recently have tried both Adode products. What I don't like about the Adobe - both take ages to load and I'm not keen on the interface.
Having said that both Elements and PSP have some features which are better/easier to use in one rather than the other. But, for basic image editing either one should suit your needs. Perehaps one advantage of Elements (as has already been mentioned) is the easy availability of tutorial videos etc on digital photography magazines! (But I think I still prefer PSP)

regards
Gordon

Thank you all for the words of wisdom. Your comments along with trial versions has helped me make my decision. I've decided to go with paintshop pro and combine it with paintshop photo album. I liked the album feature in elements but liked the greater image editing capabilities of PSP over elements. My better half will really enjoy the scrap booking capability of PSP album. :news: Also since PSP and elements cost about the same why not move into the same capabilities as photoshop.

Thanks Again!

If others want to contribute additional comments, I'm sure they will help others who continue to view this topic.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back