• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip report from Southern Finland (1 Viewer)

Thanks Hauki, and Wolfbirder.. Going by here, and Google+ comments, this trip report seems to be a more popular read compared to my previous ones, which were drier and more logistic!

Last edited:
Was your Bluetail a singing adult in breeding plumage or one of those 1stw types?

Ultimately it matters not, but an adult male would be a sight to behold.

It was a singing male, but not an amazingly blue one, put it that way.
must try harder next time!

In fact, if I'd got the first one under my belt a bit sooner, I would have liked to have relaxed and tried some lesser known suitable habitat in search of another, not sure how realistic that would have been. But, in the end I was just grateful for the 1.

It was a singing male, but not an amazingly blue one, put it that way.
must try harder next time!

In fact, if I'd got the first one under my belt a bit sooner, I would have liked to have relaxed and tried some lesser known suitable habitat in search of another, not sure how realistic that would have been. But, in the end I was just grateful for the 1.

Well done on seeing / finding it. I know very few who have seen any adult male. The ones i know who have located singing males are disappointed to find them as first winter males. I'd be well happy with what you got PeterB :)

It was a joy to read your report from my birding region! Autiovaara and Hemminvaara are my favourite spots in North Karelia because they have good selection of taiga species.

It is supricing that you did not hear any spotted crakes. They have been there between the reeds.

This year bluetails arrived quite early so in june most of singers would be second year males that havent been able to atract female. From Kuusamo region there is nearly 100 published observations from last 30 days. In Kainuu area ( 150 km south from Kuusamo) 250 observations, and North Karelia 50. Finnish population seems to be several thousands of pairs even if last year 600 territories were counted!

Last edited:
Yes, that would concur with my sighting. Wow, interesting figures. Does the habitat allow continual spread westwards? Or have they reached "saturation"?

Population can still grow I think, if they spread more towards south. There is already succesfull breeders in southern part of Finland (not yet in southernmost part).

Population can still grow I think, if they spread more towards south. There is already succesfull breeders in southern part of Finland (not yet in southernmost part).

We will be in Rovaniemi and north for 3 weeks beginning July 11. Are we likely to find these birds? Any suggestions would be appreciated for first trip to northern Europe. We will begoing go Varnger and Saariselka areas and will have time tovisit either Yllas or go south from here.
Bruce

That is quite late for birding Lapland, but good time in Varanger. If you find right habitat (old growth forested vaara =forested small mountain) you might find fledlings or even second time breeding adults.

For more info, read our tripreports from www.caligata.com.

That is quite late for birding Lapland, but good time in Varanger. If you find right habitat (old growth forested vaara =forested small mountain) you might find fledlings or even second time breeding adults.

Thank you for detailing your trip reports on the web.. Your finland trip was one that I found prior to my visit, and it inspired me to change my plans from an even longer drive to Kuusamo, which I'm pretty certain wouldn't have been as enjoyable.

We found brilliantly coloured Bluethroat near Hamninberg. Very happpy with this sighting. Still looking for Redthroated pipits.

You are in the right area fror Redthroated pipits. They can be enywhere there. Are you going to take boat trip to bird colony island from Vardö? It would be worth going!

You are in the right area fror Redthroated pipits. They can be enywhere there. Are you going to take boat trip to bird colony island from Vardö? It would be worth going!

Yes, we enjoyed seeing the bird colonies. Today we spe t time at Varngerbotn and saw many waders, including Spotted Redshank, Curlew, Godwit and Ruff.

It was a joy to read your report from my birding region! Autiovaara and Hemminvaara are my favourite spots in North Karelia because they have good selection of taiga species.

It is supricing that you did not hear any spotted crakes. They have been there between the reeds.

This year bluetails arrived quite early so in june most of singers would be second year males that havent been able to atract female. From Kuusamo region there is nearly 100 published observations from last 30 days. In Kainuu area ( 150 km south from Kuusamo) 250 observations, and North Karelia 50. Finnish population seems to be several thousands of pairs even if last year 600 territories were counted!

Does that make KAinuu Bluetail central? I did the 2 hour Valtavaara walk in 99' for a 2cy! If only I had gone on another hill there was a stonker some other birders found!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back