• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you know the English Common Name for this Lizard? (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Dear Friends of the Bird Forum.

This summer I took this photo of one of the thousands of the Ophisops Elagans that we have on Tilos. I was wandering if anyone knew the English common name of this wonderful lizard.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Attachments

• Ophisops elegans.jpg
    Ophisops elegans.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 181
Could you help identify this little puppy too?

Dear Friends of the Bird Forum:

Can you halp identify this one too? The locals here call it Kourkoutavlo! :eek!:

Thank you!

Best regards,

Attachments

• Kourkoutavlos.jpg
    Kourkoutavlos.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 158
Konstantinos,
I am not an expert, however, this looks like an Agamid to me. The only ones that I know ranging in Dodecanese are from genus Laudakia.

Dear Steve:

Thank you!

These guys are quite big! I have to get a book on lizard identification! Any reccommendations for books on the lizards and snakes of my area?

Warmest regards,

Agama stellio

According to Arnold/Burton, the only Agamid in the area is the 'Agama' - Agama stellio, which has "small colonies in Greece and the Greek Islands (area around Thessaloniki, Corfu, Mykonos, Delos, Paros, Antiparos and Naxos)."
Does that fit? Up to 30 cm long (in. tail), noticeably spiny, particularly neck. Colour variable. Can change quite quickly. usually light or dark brownor grey, with a series of roughly diamond-shaped often yellowish markings along the middle of back. Dominant males tend to be very brightly coloured.
Best

David

Dear Malky:

I created and I moderate that group as well as the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tilos-Life/ group.

Dear David:

I think you are right on spot! The description fits perfectly! Thank you.

I wonder if you can help by identifying this little guy as well. I believe that his scientific name is Cyrtodactylus kotschyi. A whole family of them have made their home on the outside walls of my house.

Thank you once again!

Warmest regards,

Attachments

• Cyrtodactylus kotschyi.jpg
    Cyrtodactylus kotschyi.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 160
Konstantinos,
To me it looks more like Hemidactylus turcicus (Mediterranean House Gecko). Agreed with David that your former pic is of Laudakia (Agamia) stellio.

Dear Steve:

Thank you!

I have some different types of geckos living in my house. They are very noisy at night which drives my Scottie crazy! I will try to get some photos and post them here.

Do you recommend any good books on the subject?

Thank you once again!

Best regards,

CJW said:
Snake-eyed Lizard

Thanks for that Chris, I have some lovely photos of Psammodromus breeding males from Corfu, which are similar. I will scan the images in sometime next week if I have the photos here and not stored in Bury.

Ian

Last edited:
Dear Friends:

Thank you so much for your suggestions! The websites that you listed for me are extremely useful.

Thank you once again!

Best regards,

Just a couple of things, the Agamid (Laudakia stellio) was formerly known as Agama stellio but renamed due to taxonomic revisions. The snake-eyed lizard gets it;s name from the fact that it has no eyelids (just like snakes). The websites mentioned are by far the best I've encountered too.

Great photos!

Lee.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back