• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wanting To Attract More Birds (1 Viewer)

EYESOFTHEWILD

Registered Member
Hi Everyone,

My first forum topic as a new member.. I am sure this has been asked before so sorry for that,,,
I have a part town small garden, but a short distance away are large farmers fileds and a canal..I have been feeding birds for some time. I use standard bird feed from local shop and peanut feeders.. We have serveral nest boxes and have had blue tits nesting for 2 years..
BUT.. I would like to attract (if posssible) more varieties of birds.. Seen so far...Lots of sparrows. Blue Tit. Great Tit. Collared Doves. Balckbirds but that seems to be it.. Tried using Niger seed for a log time but nothing touched it (in a feeder)...

Any advice please.... ;)

Are you using seed feeders or just putting the seed on a table/ground? I'd suggest seedfeeders with a good quality no-mess type food, the bulk of it is sunflower hearts. Maybe you could hang up some fatballs or better still, some fatcakes with insects in (available from most good birdfood suppliers... CJ wildbirdfood via the banner that pops up on every page). This could attract over-wintering Blackcaps and maybe get a nibble from a Goldcrest or two.
Actually, as with another member, it may be an idea to take a photo of your garden and attach it to a post so we can get an idea and suggest good locations for your feeders.
cheers,
Andy

I would agree with Andy - look at the CJ Wildbird food website, or get their catalogue. Lots and lots of ideas there for attracting lots of different birds to your garden. Since I've been buying food from them (a year now) the sheer variety of birds coming to my garden has increased enormously. The food might be more expensive than your local shop, but it's probably better quality, and the birds seem to know that - more will come.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back