• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Survey Technique (1 Viewer)

ground-roller

Does anyone know about the use of a chain to flush ground-nesting birds in order to survey secretive species in open grassland habitats?

I remember a Canadian researcher once mentioned they did it (dragging a chain behind a 4-wheel drive?) to survey nesting waders on Tundra. Has anyone got any experience of this technqiue and know what impact it has on nesting species (sounds fairly intrusive)?
cheers

First impressions of this would be that it makes angels of all those twitchers, photographers and ringers who have come under fire for 'disturbance'!

Happy to be educated though, if this doesn't in fact do so much damage!

Last edited:
Jos Stratford said:
First impressions of this would be that it makes angels of all those twitchers, photographers and ringers who have come under fire for 'disturbance'!

all done for the best possible reasons and it's the best way to survey snipe - something i have first hand experience of!

Hi Tim,

How did you survey Snipe this way and was it during the breeding season?
For example how many people were involved/how far apart/was some-one else counting the flushed birds etc.
Do you know if there's any information on this technqiue in bird survey books or on the web.

The reason I ask is it occured to me that it may be an effective (but I think this is optimistic) way to try and find Bustard families after breeding to try and assess productivity. PM me any answers.
Thanks

Can't believe anyone would use a metal chain on the tundra to flush nesting birds! Light rope (1/4 " poly, hemp, or similar)works best in that habitat or in grasslands. I've used a "Surveyors Chain" which in the past was made up of metal links but is now often just a rope marked off in chain lengths. Perhaps this is what was referred to in the original post.

Usually two observers drag a 1 - 200' length of rope between them with one or two more, depending on rope length, about 50 feet behind. Slow is best as it gives everyone a chance to pinpoint nest locations, plus ID and count the birds being flushed.

The practice doesn't seem to upset the birds much during nesting. On the tundra it works on nesting shorebirds humans can walk up too & lift off the nest by hand. Birds react as though the rope is a snake or other small predator. It also works outside the breeding season on various sparrows, rails, other skulkers, plus Short-eared Owls.

It can be very confusing when the birds are being driven ahead as you don't know which you've counted & which are new. In any event it is best to end up at a road or other open area to get a final, accurate count as the birds cross it.

I don't remember reading anything about how to do this. I just learned it over several years working with different biologists. Must be something somewhere though. I'll ask a few contacts & see if anything turns up. If so I'll post it here.

Hope young bustards don't freeze on moms distress call as the Killdeer young do here. They will often remain completely still even when the rope drags right over them.

In closing, the above practices are ONLY used during government authorized research surveys and not for everyday birding! Deliberate harrasment or disturbing of birds is illegal here, with substantial fines levied, and in a few extreme cases perpetrators have gotten a free vacation in their local jail.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back