• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LaSelva, Tirimbina, etc... (1 Viewer)

JJP

Just got back from CR.

Spent some time at Tirimbina and LaSelva, and I have this not-so-groundbreaking opinion. The Sarapiqui area is in need of a new lowland birding destination... because those two places are inherently flawed.

It's nearly impossible to do any target birding at La Selva. If you could squeeze in some secret time on some secret trails, you would likely still feel someone is looking over your shoulder. And of course the fees make it a value problem for the birder traveler. How much time do you have to see the species you want to see?

Tirimibina has other issues. The trails are closed until 7 PM.... cutting out a good 1.5 hours of birding. The accommodations are barely average, and the food is poor. I like the trails, but there wasn't much diversity that I could see. Plus, there were lots of high school students and other teenage life lurking on most of the trails. In all, I think the Sarapiqui area deserves better.

It sounds to me like people are going a little farther afield for lowland Caribbean birds... Laguna de Lagarta or as far as Gandoca Manzanillo. There's Tortuguera and some smaller lodges, but there's nothing that resembles Carara National Park that exists on the Caribbean side.

Anyway, I was wondering what other people see as their go-to places for the Caribbean lowlands.

Tirimibina has other issues. The trails are closed until 7 PM.... cutting out a good 1.5 hours of birding. The accommodations are barely average, and the food is poor. I like the trails, but there wasn't much diversity that I could see. Plus, there were lots of high school students and other teenage life lurking on most of the trails. In all, I think the Sarapiqui area deserves better.

I assume you mean 7 am? When we stayed there, that was not the case as far as I remember. We might have been lucky, but there was not much in the way of crowds either, and the rooms were absolutely OK. That is a couple of years ago, don't know how it all functions now.

Niels

Thanks so much for bring this up Jim. It's been frustrating to see some birding sites in the Sarapiqui area evolve into places that sort of make it tough to watch birds on your own. There are sites here and there on back roads that are good but those are still in fragmented forest, are on pretty bad roads, and lack trails that penetrate the forest interior.

More sites that would actually make it easy to bird would certainly be welcome! When I visited Tirimbina in late March, we were told about the hours for the trails. It's their place so they can make the rules but it's an absolute shame and ridiculous. Probably too worried about guests getting bit by a snake and lawsuits when you are far, far more likely to get in an accident while driving to and from Tirimbina.

Shame to hear that the food was bad too. Such problems sound like problems typically associated with management and indeed, we heard rumors about new management. This may have also been why even though the website states that one can stay in the field station, when we called, we were told that no, we had to have a larger group for them to open it and they wouldn't budge. There was no attempt to do us (paying guests) any favors along those lines.

As for the trails, they are pretty good in my experience and can turn up several species that have become uncommon at La Selva. I got the impression that Tirimbina was mostly used by student groups as well. I don't mind that as long as people are quiet on the trails.

At La Selva, if you actually stay there (which is over priced in my opinion), you can spend all of your time looking for targets. However, a bigger problem may be not being in the right place to find them. Depends on what your targets are but it's not a good place to find many of the understory species that used to occur (various flycatchers, antbirds, nunbirds, etc.). It's still easier to see the following targets at La Selva than some other sites, though, in part because guides often know where to find them:

Great Curassow- although these are also fairly easy at Arenal, Esquinas Lodge, and Laguna del Lagarto (and other sites too).
Semiplumbeous Hawk- La Selva still seems to be one of the best sites for this bird in the country.
Bare-necked Umbrellabird- a few birds are around from maybe Oct.(or earlier) to February and guides often know where they are.
Vermiculated Screech Owl- Roosting birds are sometimes found and shown to birders.
Great Potoo- Same as for the screech owl.

The info. above is why I have been recommending this:
If you want to support research being carried out in a neotropical rainforest and have more free time on the trails, then stay at La Selva. But, keep in mind that many species on the checklist have become rare or even gone from the area. With that in mind, it seems better to stay in any one of several hotels in the area that are more geared for tourism and cost less, and then signing up for the early morning birding tour (although sadly, more than one person has told me that they were disappointed with that or were shifted over to the standard rainforest tour).

This way, one still has a fair chance of seeing the targets mentioned above without having to stay there. The species that have become rare at La Selva can be more easily seen at such sites as Tirimbina (although maybe not with the trail restrictions), Laguna del Lagarto and other sites in the north, Braulio Carillo, Carara, Heliconias, the Osa, etc. One other site around there with pretty good forest is Sueno Azul (not cheap but nunbirds occur and probably much more).

As far as Sarapiqui goes, unfortunately, the reality of the situation is that much of the forests in that area are also quite fragmented and thus not as good for seeing many of the uncommon forest birds. Until we find and implement a way to reforest much of the area and establish better corridors, I am afraid that the situation isn't going to get much better.

Sarapiqui seems to have become better perhaps for bird photography than seeing many of the rarer forest birds, especially with the new Nature Pavilion- don't have extensive forest but the bird photography is outstanding ($20 for every hour and a half), they use part of the proceeds to reforest, have a nice covered deck that overlooks some forest canopy, and a trail down to the river that is good for a fair number of species and can turn up Sunbittern, etc. They also now rent out a fairly spacious house there with two big bathrooms for something like $65 per person per night.

Bird photography is also fairly good at some of the hotels in the area (El Gavilan and Posada Andrea Cristina come to mind), there are still lots of common birds around and a number of uncommon species can of course show up.

However, if you hope to see rarities like Great Jacamar, more raptors, nunbirds, fruitcrows, more antbirds, etc., here my go to places:

1. Hitoy Cerere- best Caribbean lowland forest I have seen in the country but a bit tough to access and may or may not be dormitory accommodation on site. Nearest hotels might be near Cahuita.
2. Veragua- Excellent but mostly geared for package tours. Near Limon.
3. Laguna del Lagarto, Maquenque, and little known sites shown on the Costa Rican Bird Route. At Laguna, I have always been treated to excellent service and no restrictions for trails. The birding can be very good there and it's a place where Harpy could even turn up. Near Nicaraguan border, northeast of La Fortuna.
4. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca and Manzanillo- Easy, great birding right around most hotels although might not be as good for understory species in some areas. Still, in my opinion, the general area is as good as La Selva and more easily accessible (if a longer drive). Near southeastern border with Panama.
5. Pocosol Research Station- Excellent forest in foothills but still good for a variety of lowland birds and of course foothill specialties. Between San Ramon and La Fortuna.
6. Lands in Love hotel- Foothills but still good for lowland species, quality of forest is demonstrated by sightings of R V Ground Cuckoo, Great Curassow, Keel-billed Motmot, lots of tanagers, antbirds, etc. Near La Fortuna. Between San Ramon and La Fortuna.

Niels, I guess you remember that we hit Tirimbina very close to the same time. Liz and I also had mostly rain while there and that may explain how little bird activity we saw during our three day stay. We were cautioned as JJP points out that the bridge does not officially open until 7AM. However, one day, we walked the "forbidden" trail in the rear of the property (I forget the name) that leads to the Field Station and also went to where the coffee tours are given, which is only supposed to be accessed by joining the coffee tour. We met but were not questioned by any of the staff working in these areas. Apparently, the rules are not strictly adhered to. Had we been bolder and more adventurous, JJP, we might have walked across the bridge before 7 and risked all! Plenty of other travelers staying there but no other birders that we met. Rooms seemed fine for our own standards.

It sounds like you are talking about lowland species as opposed to what can be found in the Talamancas?
The extended rainy season may have something to do with the lack of birding lodges on the Carribean side of the cordillera. Patrick keep telling us the dry season there is in September and we keep going in March. It's not that we're stubborn or slow to catch on; we just want an escape in late winter. Next time, I'd be fine with the Guanacaste and leave the umbrellas behind!

Steve

Thanks all...

Yes, I meant 7 AM at Tirimbina. There was a padlock on the gate across the bridge. It was opened by an employee at 7 AM every day.

As for the room there, I described it as "barely average" not "bad". Still, I think the issue is this. What kind of value are you getting? If I'm really paying for the trail access and not really the room, they're still not opening the trails early enough for birding. That was my problem.

Also Steve, I was actually considering crossing the gate before 7, but I saw an employee working on the bridge, so I decided to stay within the rules.

The food was low-end. Since we are right next door to the "Sarapiqui Rainforest Lodge" (owned by Begians and catering to tour groups), you can walk 30 meters and eat there. It's perfectly good food. But if you stayed there instead of Tirimbina, you would have to pay to use the trails at Tirimbina.... and since the trails don't open until seven... what was the point of that.

This really isn't about disliking Tirimbina as it is about establishing value as a birder. I probably would have been fairly happy at Tirimbina had I had 2-3 days of early morning birding.

The La Selva thing Pat explored in detail. Pat gave good examples and here's mine.

I have yet to see a Black-capped Pygmy-Tyrant. It's a bird seen frequently at La Selva, but it's generally a high-canopy bird and you have to work it at some locations (according to my early-morning guide). He was not interested in doing this for me. I had no shot at this bird on my own after the 5:45 bird walk. I didn't know where to look.

In all, experienced birders can't heavily rely on the birding guides at La Selva for target birding. Those guys are programmed for new birders to La Selva, not target birders. I may need a different guide... but then you are forced to pay a steep price for yourself AND your other guide to do that. Again, it's a value problem.

Let me also mention "The Nature Pavilion", the little place down the road from Tirimbina where they put out a big feeder menu. This is not a birding destination as such, but in my opinion, it's a good value for $20 - either for photographers or just becoming acquainted with some common birds. I had a perfectly enjoyable time there taking pictures ...and it was just as advertised. Again, it's not for birders looking to see some new birds, but we knew that from the advertisements. It was an interesting place with an interesting idea. If I was taking someone new birder to Costa Rica there, I might put that on my list for a 2-hour stop.

Last edited:
I have yet to see a Black-capped Pygmy-Tyrant. It's a bird seen frequently at La Selva, but it's generally a high-canopy bird and you have to work it at some locations (according to my early-morning guide). He was not interested in doing this for me. I had no shot at this bird on my own after the 5:45 bird walk. I didn't know where to look.

We saw this one nest building just above a wooden walkway at La Selva a couple of years back

Attachments

• _MG_6387.jpg
    _MG_6387.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 77
Thanks all...

As for the room there, I described it as "barely average" not "bad". Still, I think the issue is this. What kind of value are you getting?

I totally agree. When we stayed there, I felt that the rooms were quite basic for the price being paid.

This really isn't about disliking Tirimbina as it is about establishing value as a birder. I probably would have been fairly happy at Tirimbina had I had 2-3 days of early morning birding.

Well said- it's about getting what you pay for. I hope I get the time to make a list of best value for your buck hotels in Costa Rica.

That is quite discouraging. More than one birder has given me rather poor reviews of the morning tour and it sounded like unenthusiastic guides were an issue. It didn't seem to be this way in the past and maybe it depends on getting the right guide, but if this is the new norm for the morning tour, then birders might be better off in going elsewhere and skipping La Selva entirely. The pygmy-tyrant is fairly common in most Carib. lowland sites with forest but knowing its insect-like call is key to finding them.

Let me also mention "The Nature Pavilion", the little place down the road from Tirimbina where they put out a big feeder menu. This is not a birding destination as such, but in my opinion, it's a good value for $20 - either for photographers or just becoming acquainted with some common birds. I had a perfectly enjoyable time there taking pictures ...and it was just as advertised. Again, it's not for birders looking to see some new birds, but we knew that from the advertisements. It was an interesting place with an interesting idea. If I was taking someone new birder to Costa Rica there, I might put that on my list for a 2-hour stop.

Yes, it does seem better for the new birder or people interested in photos. Snowy Cotinga and other uncommon species can show up from their deck but they can also be seen elsewhere.

Braggart. ;)

All the same, that's a nice use of the camera on a small bird.

Ah sadly no credit to me. My colleague on the tour had all the camera equipment, I just pointed and said "Quick Jerry, get a pic of that!" Some were good (perhaps like this one) others less so! But lovely looking back at some of what we saw.

That is quite discouraging. More than one birder has given me rather poor reviews of the morning tour and it sounded like unenthusiastic guides were an issue. It didn't seem to be this way in the past and maybe it depends on getting the right guide, but if this is the new norm for the morning tour, then birders might be better off in going elsewhere and skipping La Selva entirely. The pygmy-tyrant is fairly common in most Carib. lowland sites with forest but knowing its insect-like call is key to finding them.

I don't remember it this way in the past either. I have been to La Selva in both 1997, and 2006. I had very good guides both times. This guide was thrown off by my request for specific birds. I can understand that in some respects, but for the paying customer, you only have one shot. Who wants to pay another $70 minimum for a different guide the next day?

By the way, this is completely unrelated, but how often is Gray-headed Piprites actually reported anywhere?

Last edited:
I don't remember it this way in the past either. I have been to La Selva in both 1997, and 2006. I had very good guides both times. This guide was thrown off by my request for specific birds. I can understand that in some respects, but for the paying customer, you only have one shot. Who wants to pay another $70 minimum for a different guide the next day?

By the way, this is completely unrelated, but how often is Gray-headed Piprites actually reported anywhere?

Unfortunately, based on what you and others have said, it sounds like the bird guiding at La Selva has taken a step down in terms of quality. I have also heard of guides doing a great job and trying to please birders but it sounds like that may have become the exception. I don't think there's any excuse for a birding guide to avoid at least attempting for target species when they are possible.

As far as the piprites goes, it seems to be a pretty rare bird and very few are recorded each year in Costa Rica. Unlike its Amazonian cousin, the Wing-barred Piprites, the Gray-headed is far from regular at any site. It has occasionally turned up at any number of forested foothill and lowland sites on the Caribbean slope (including La Selva) but doesn't appear to be reliable anywhere that I know of. The few sites where I or others have had it more than once are Laguna del Lagarto, El Tapir and Quebrada Gonzalez, and El Copal. Almost nothing is known about it but I suspect that it requires high quality forest habitat so those should be the places to look for it (as well as in Nicaragua and Honduras).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back