• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual ringing recovery (1 Viewer)

T0ny

Okillre Member
Eddie Chapman posted this on UKBN today - thought people might be interested.

This was on a Norwegian mailing list this evening. A Redpoll sp. was caught today, and when the ringer took the bird out of the net he noticed that the bird had a ring. On closer examination it seems to be Chinese. He got some help to read the ring and it seem that it is a post-box address in Beijing.
It will be interesting to see what the response is from Beijing. We of course can't rule out that it has been a stow-a-way on a ship, or had some other form of help. Never the less it is an interesting find. I will try to keep the group posted if there are any developments.

Tony

Last edited:
It arrived on the sloop 'John B.', and was heard singing 'Taiwan to go home, please let me go home.'

Tony

Well, since it was reported from Norway, it was obviously looking for Bar bar bar, barbarians.

Or are they a rugby team ?

Tony

You guys are a riot! Wouldn't it be great if we had some enthusiastic Chinese members of the forum . . . .

If i remember rightly this was ringed in China near the N Korean border. Does anyone have any more info on this? What is the consensus? Escapee from the wild bird trade? Seems unlikely, but then so does the idea of it having travelled all that way unaided. But then, they are migratory and irruptive. How much do we know about their movements? They have such a wide range, and contain so few subspecies that their movements are no doubt masked. But to come all that way!?... or did it migrate north in the Spring to northern Siberia and keep going over the top to Norway?!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back