• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

T&T in April (1 Viewer)

Trystan

Possibility of travelling to T&T in April next year. Advice on whether this is a good time for birding (quantity and quality of species) and what weather to expect at this time.

Thanks

I do not think there is truly a bad time to visit TT. There are a few more northern visitors closer to northern winter, and a few more southern migrants a little closer to mid summer. April is supposed to be still in the dry season, but you never know if it really is. First time I visited TT was at the end of April/early May and I had 10 species of hummingbirds in Asa Wright.

Niels

Murphy's "A Birdwatchers guide to Trinidad and Tobago" suggests that the worst time to go is the first 2 weeks of May when sand blown from the Sahara affects the islands. Other than that all the literature seems to suggest that any other time is good.

cheers
Gordon

I did read that clause in Murphy's book and have two comments:
1 Sahara sand usually affect most of the Caribbean from mid spring to about end August, unless there is so much rain that it rains out of the atmosphere. I don't know if they get it a little less in TT, but living in the Caribbean, that would not be my main concern.
2 I think he also mentions that the vegetation is dry and the overall impression is dusty at that time, which probably is true most years; but on one of my visits at end April/early May, the weather felt more like the rainy season had been going for a while, so you never really know.

Trystan, that book by Murphy is highly recommended, unless you are with an organized tour where the guides have read it.

Niels

Thank you all for your input. The itinery which caught my attention is with motmot, I have made some enquiries now about availability, so I will have a thorough read of your report tomorrow Mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back