• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa and video (1 Viewer)

dbramley

I have a TSN-821 and am looking to buy a TSN-823, I also have a sony PC-110 with 37mm threads. My questions are: Is the fluorite lens significantly better? I am so comfussed about the adapters avalible, can anyone give me a model number and good place to purchase said adapter? I am new to the forum and have spent hours reading as many posts as possible about the Kowa issue, just can not seem to find anyone that has said "Hell ya, well worth the extra money!!" When the new D2X comes out it will be on may wish list so can I assume there is a nikon mount adapter avalible? This forum is great and a wealth of information!!!

Thanks to everybody in advance,

Dan

dbramley said:
I have a TSN-821 and am looking to buy a TSN-823, I also have a sony PC-110 with 37mm threads. My questions are: Is the fluorite lens significantly better? I am so comfussed about the adapters avalible, can anyone give me a model number and good place to purchase said adapter? I am new to the forum and have spent hours reading as many posts as possible about the Kowa issue, just can not seem to find anyone that has said "Hell ya, well worth the extra money!!" When the new D2X comes out it will be on may wish list so can I assume there is a nikon mount adapter avalible? This forum is great and a wealth of information!!!

Dan
Hi Dan, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here, we hope you enjoy the site.
As for standard glass vs HD/APO/Fluorite types, then there is a substantial difference in the quality of image captured with the latter... though probably more difference with still photography than with relatively low resolution video, but it still makes a big difference no matter what medium.

I'm not too sure on all the latest adapters available in North America, but Kowa do make their own adapters. Many adapters come with a 28mm thread as standard to fit the typical digiscoping still cameras. I do know that several do a 37mm version such as the eagleeyeuk.com digimount which is also available via photosolve.com in the U.S.

Yep, I'm also looking at the D2x as a late xmas present for myself ;)

cheers,
Andy

dbramley said:
I have a TSN-821 and am looking to buy a TSN-823, I also have a sony PC-110 with 37mm threads. I am so comfussed about the adapters avalible, can anyone give me a model number and good place to purchase said adapter?
Dan

The Kowa digital camera adapter is part number TSN-DA1, Kowa supplies adapter rings for the TSN-DA1 with different thread sizes: 28, 37, 43, 52mm. [ http://www.kowascope.com/ ]

Kowa also offers a low magnification, long eye-relief eye-piece that is also very useful for digiscoping (or videoscoping, specially with a high zoom lens on the camera): TSN-VA1, which accepts the same Kowa adapter rings cited above.

Those parts are available, in the USA, from many suppliers including
Eagle Optics [ http://www.eagleoptics.com/ ] and
B&H PhotoVideo [ http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ ] .

Dalcio

Last edited:
I have a TSN-821 which I did a lot of my early bird photography with and I was quite happy until the bird was against the sky or a long distance away. I moved up to the Swarovski AT80HD and found it a significant improvement. Before buying the new scope I would buy the new Kowa video eyepiece/adapter mentioned by someone else in this thread and test it out. You may find it's good enough for video. If not , then upgrade the scope because you will notice the difference.
Neil

dbramley said:

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back