• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NorCal Migration (1 Viewer)

calbirder

riparian woodser
I live in the Sacramento area near woods. We dont seem to get any migratory birds at all. Is this normal? I get some small birds, hawks, and others that stay the whole year, but most leave. IS this also normal, for scrub jays, magpies, and woodpeckers to leave a fairly mediocre climate? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey, You might get "Altitude" migrants---Juncos coming down from the mountains to the valley for the winter. As for winter, the valley fills with many kinds of waterfowl and birds of prey. Some of the latter could be hunting outside your window and be "Migrants". You have a shot at 6 Hummer species. All migrate. Some Anna's are local,,,,others from elsewhere. And lastly, watch your freshly leafing trees in April and May for NeoTropical migrants like warblers and tanagers. It'll happen. I'm no ornithologist by any means but I do like to write on my calendar the first date that the Sand Hills fly north and south, when different hummers show, white crowned sparrows (always come in the same week in October), and others. Good luck........Chris

Chris D said:
Hey, You might get "Altitude" migrants---Juncos coming down from the mountains to the valley for the winter. As for winter, the valley fills with many kinds of waterfowl and birds of prey. Some of the latter could be hunting outside your window and be "Migrants". You have a shot at 6 Hummer species. All migrate. Some Anna's are local,,,,others from elsewhere. And lastly, watch your freshly leafing trees in April and May for NeoTropical migrants like warblers and tanagers. It'll happen. I'm no ornithologist by any means but I do like to write on my calendar the first date that the Sand Hills fly north and south, when different hummers show, white crowned sparrows (always come in the same week in October), and others. Good luck........Chris

Thanks for that info....The neotropical migrants only stay for a short time?

Sure,,,,,,,,, maybe a minute or 2. Maybe days. Perhaps an orange crowned warbler might nest. Or perhaps swallows or swifts. True, your yard might not be the Maine woods in May, but you'd be amazed at just what changes take place throughout the year. A Western Kingbird might stay and nest because of the bugs. Lewis's Woodpeckers might invade for the winter. I can honestly say that the more I've learned on my own, kinda studying one area, the better birder I've become. Sure, I've got a long way to go. Keep a list and write on the calendar. When you need a fix of cool warblers and Western Tangers, just head up the hill in June. Compare the leafing-out willows at 6000 feet and all the insects they attract to the natural landscape around Sacto. That's why they're nesting up top. You never know though. Some might frequent your place before and after............Chris

calbirder said:
I live in the Sacramento area near woods. We dont seem to get any migratory birds at all. Is this normal? I get some small birds, hawks, and others that stay the whole year, but most leave. IS this also normal, for scrub jays, magpies, and woodpeckers to leave a fairly mediocre climate? Thanks in advance for your help.
__________________-

Wow! Sacto NWR, Gray Lodge, The Butte Sink, Colusa NWR represent one of the greatest concentration of migrating waterfowl in the U.S. And all near your area.

Unless, of course, you are thinking of passerines and raptors but not waterfowl.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back