• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica offer (1 Viewer)

Keith Reeder

Watch the birdie...
Anyone humming and hahing about which scope to buy might like to note that between 15 November 2004 and 31 January 2005, any purchase of a new Leica scope/EP/case combo will qualify the purchaser for a free Manfrotto 055CLB tripod and 128RC head, on return of the voucher given to you at time of purchase.

It might be a UK-only offer but it's worth knowing about...

hmm... not bad, does that include a eyepeice too?

got my apo televid 77 with 20-60x zoom from a shop in newcastle this year - 100 quid cheaper than the shop opposite! - 960 quid!

went to another shop down the road and got the ever-ready case 20 quid cheaper too!.

pays to shop around.

It might be a UK-only offer but it's worth knowing about...[/QUOTE]

For any Canadians interested, The offer is valid in Canada as well!!!

That's good Raptor - I added the caveat because I saw the offer in my Leica Bulletin magazine and had no way of knowing how widely available the offer is.

Salty, "EP" = "eyepiece": you have to buy a scope, EP and case to qualify for the free tripod.

blythkeith said:
Salty, "EP" = "eyepiece": you have to buy a scope, EP and case to qualify for the free tripod.

ahh... you can still save a few quid though, even if that little combo alone will cost around 1300.

blythkeith said:
Anyone humming and hahing about which scope to buy might like to note that between 15 November 2004 and 31 January 2005, any purchase of a new Leica scope/EP/case combo will qualify the purchaser for a free Manfrotto 055CLB tripod and 128RC head, on return of the voucher given to you at time of purchase.

Sounds like an excellent deal. I wonder if this indicates a new scope in the works, or someone at Leica got a good bulk deal on tripods? Anyway, the APO Televid 77 is excellent.

blythkeith said:

I've just invested in the offer, APO 62, 26x eyepiece and case. No voucher from my dealer as Leica have been "having printer problems" but on contacting Leica direct they say they will post a voucher to me direct in the next few days.

Super scope, can't wait for my free tripod. I hope I can get it before the Christmas rush.

David Lee :gn:

Leicaman said:
I've just invested in the offer, APO 62, 26x eyepiece and case. No voucher from my dealer as Leica have been "having printer problems" but on contacting Leica direct they say they will post a voucher to me direct in the next few days.

Super scope, can't wait for my free tripod. I hope I can get it before the Christmas rush.

David Lee :gn:

Further to my last comment. I have now received two vouchers. One came in with some literature I'd sent for from Leica with the reply card in their bulletin. The second came today as a direct reply to my e-mail to Leica about not getting a voucher. So I can't complain about the service I've received.

I really cannot understand why people should be so gripped by the offer of a tripod. Surely all of you already have a decent tripod so why want two. it also shows how much profit Leica are making on the scope, wouldn't it be better if they dropped the price by £120, now that would be a better deal. Whilst Leica, swarovski and Zeiss are excellent scopes, the large lens scopes are in the region of £1200 even in Warwehouse Express. The offer of a free tripod will not have me rushing to a dealer, I already have the manfrotto 144 with 128 head and the smaller manfrotto for travel abroad. If I was going for a new scope I would go for the Kowa 823m or 824m and save about £300 or £400 and have a choice of eyepieces, then go and buy the zeiss adapter and still have change for the case!!!

Robert L Jarvis said:
Surely all of you already have a decent tripod so why want two....

I already have the manfrotto 144 with 128 head and the smaller manfrotto for travel abroad.

So it's ok for you to have two then!

You've missed the point; for people wishing to buy their first scope perhaps?...Keith kindly pointed out a good offer...I certainly didn't have a tripod prior to buying my first scope.

If people were buying their first scope then surely they wouldn't be wanting to shell out so much of the reddies but get a cheaper or good s/hand scope as they may mot wish to continue with the hobby. The reason I have two is that going abroad the 144 was too big and heavy. It wouldn't fit in my bag and the cabin staff were not overjoyed to see me shoving the thing in the overhead locker hence the smaller lighter tripod. In fact once they insisted on taking it and keeping it at the back of the aircraft.Also for your information I am still using my 15 year old Kowa tsn4 but it was not my first scope. Whilst the new scopes are better, I do not thing they are £800 better than from what I originally paid for the Kowa.

One of the points I was trying to make was that these items necessary for our hobby are too expensive and we should not be seduced by bit offers. There are reasonable less expensive pieces of equipment.

Robert

I'd agree that it would have been nicer if the price had been lowered. I have a 190 and a 290 Manfrotto. One for use with my Leica 77 and the other for lighter duty when I go birding by bike and will use the Leica 62 now in place of my previous Opticron HD66. The only advantage to me of the 055 is that it is taller and at 5ft 10in I wouldn't have to extend the central column so much. On the minus side it will be my heaviest tripod. :flyaway:

David
I can see this is getting out of hand. If I have this correctly you own 3 scopes or has the opticron been sold. Then there are 2 tripods, just out of curiousity how many pairs if bins do you have access to? Do you digiscope as well?

It must be hell when you are going birding to decide which to take, decisions, decisions, decisions. I know exactly what you mean by weight, oh to have a bearer just pass the Swarovski please.

I am not as well up on P G Wodehouse as you are. Was this Wooster speaking to Jeeves or Jeeves to Wooster?

Grousemore said:
Keith kindly pointed out a good offer...
Good - so it did come across that way: I was starting to wonder, Trevor.

Something for nothing and people are still unhappy.

It's a funny old world.

;)

Robert L Jarvis said:
David
I can see this is getting out of hand. If I have this correctly you own 3 scopes or has the opticron been sold. Then there are 2 tripods, just out of curiousity how many pairs if bins do you have access to? Do you digiscope as well?

It must be hell when you are going birding to decide which to take, decisions, decisions, decisions. I know exactly what you mean by weight, oh to have a bearer just pass the Swarovski please.

I am not as well up on P G Wodehouse as you are. Was this Wooster speaking to Jeeves or Jeeves to Wooster?

Robert

2 pairs of binoculars. RSPB 8x42 and Leica BN 8x42. Yes I do digiscope but have only started in the last month. Then it is definitely the APO 77 and the 190. I still have the Opticron but it tends to produce colour fringes when I didgiscope, see attached picture taken at the Wetlands Centre Barnes.

Bertie Wooster is talking about Jeeves.

David

Attachments

• Sparrow hawk detail.jpg
    Sparrow hawk detail.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 181
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back