• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Antonino P. Trischitta (1892-1966) (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
I am trying to discover the etymologies of the following eponyms created by this Italian ornithologist. I have not seen the two rare pamphlets. Can anyone shed light on these mysteries? With appreciation in advance.

●Trischitta, A. 1939. Alcune nuove forme di Uccelli italiani (pamphlet). Tipograf. Arti Grafiche Solunto, Bagheria.
1939 Otus scops vincii Trischitta, p. 2 [syn. Otus scops]

●Trischitta, A. 1939. Altre nuove forme di Uccelli italiani (lettera diretta al Sig. Dott. Renzo Ragioneri) (pamphlet). Tipograf. Arti Grafiche Solunto, Bagheria.

1939 Turdus philomelos vitalii Trischitta, p. [syn. Turdus philomelos]
1939 Emberiza cirlus raffonei Trischitta, p. [syn. Emberiza cirlus]
1939 Parus caeruleus pistoni Trischitta, p. [syn. Cyanistes caeruleus]

James,
Maybe The Ibis 1938, page 171, can reveal something?;

Google Books snippet view will only let us know:
[Alcnne nuove forme di Uccelli Italiani. By Dr. Antonino Trischitta. Pp. 1-5. Published privately : Bagheria, 1930.] [Altre nuove forme di Ucrelli Italiani. Pp. 1-4. Published privately, 1939.] Through the kindness of a friend we have recently ...

Could be worth checking out?

1939 Parus caeruleus pistoni Trischitta, p. [syn. Cyanistes caeruleus]

I (as well) haven´t any access to Antonino (I think P. = Pietro) Trischitta's two pamphlets but ...

... there was an Italian Ornithologist and Taxidermist; Dr. A. Pistone (????–????), one of the first to study the Migration over the Messina Sound, in the 1880-90's.

Could it be him?

1939 Emberiza cirlus raffonei Trischitta, p. [syn. Emberiza cirlus]

In 1951 Trischitta collected the type specimen of the Aeolian Wall Lizard Podarcis raffoneae MERTENS 1952 = "Benannt ist die Rasse, dem Wunsche des Sammlers entsprechend, nach RAFFONE, dem Familiennamen seiner verstorbenen Frau." [= The race has been named, according to the wish of his collector, after RAFFONE, the maiden name of his late wife].

I guess it ought to be the same name commemorated in this bird!?

But who she, or any of her relatives, was ... I haven´t got a clue!

I guess that names by Trischitta can be hard to follow since he apparently was a man of his own mind!

Violani & Barbagli wrote in Bull. B.O.C. 1997:
As a curiosity it may be recalled that, during the 1950s and 1960s, Antonino Trischitta (1892-1966), an eccentric Sicilian naturalist, proposed a bizarre nomenclatural system, which he called "Nomenclatura Biologica ternaria plurinominale" (Ternary plurinominal biological nomenclature). This system (Trischitta 1950, 1967) was intended to reveal the exact position of the living being, which the name referred to, within the systematic frame. The three terms indicate: the first, the kingdom, the phylum, the class and order which the organism belongs to; the second, the family and the genus included in the same family; the third, the species and, possibly, the subspecies.
For instance, applying Trischitta's system the scientific name of Bonelli's Eagle would be:

Zochoaviaccipitrides accipitriihieraaetus fasciatus

Imagine the etymological task if his system had been the one valid!?

Dear all,
Today I recieved two (!) scanned copies of Antonino Trischitta's Alcune nuove forme di uccelli italiani (1939)*, one from the kind librarian Mary Sears, of the Mayr Library, Museum of Comparative Zoology, US and onother one from her colleague Giovanni Cadoni, at Biblioteca Universitaria di Sassary, Italy ....

In this small pamphlet (privately published) we find the following "new" birds and some eludicating (clear and somewhat redirecing) dedications, this said without me myself going any further than below, in details, regarding their various etymologies:

Corvus cornix italicus – Cornacchia bigia italiana .
.. fairly obvious

Upupa epops renzoi – Upupa di Sardegna
= Renzo Ragionieri ... see attached excerpt.

Cuculus canorus sardus – Cuculo di Sardegna
... fairly obvious

Otus scops vincii – Assiolo di Sardegna
= Gaetano Vinci, see attached excerpt.

Athene noctua salentina – Civetta di Lecce
= most likely Peninsula Salentina, in the Province Apulia, southern Italy (where the town Lecce is located)

Falco biarmicus orlandoi – Lanario mediterraneo
= Carlo Orlando, see attached excerpt.

Buteo buteo meridionalis – Poiana italiana
... fairly obvious

Coturnix coturnix ragionierii – Quaglia maremmana
= Cesare Ragionieri ... see attached excerpt.

That's all – enjoy!

Björn

PS. James, I will e-mail you a copy. Good luck explaining them in full!

Attachments

• Otus scops vincii TRISCHITTA 1939.jpg
    Otus scops vincii TRISCHITTA 1939.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Coturnix coturnix ragionierii TRISCHITTA 1939.jpg
    Coturnix coturnix ragionierii TRISCHITTA 1939.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Falco biarmicus orlandoi TRISCHITTA 1939.jpg
    Falco biarmicus orlandoi TRISCHITTA 1939.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Upupa epops renzoi TRISCHITTA 1939.jpg
    Upupa epops renzoi TRISCHITTA 1939.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
For the one curious I can add that the end of Trischitta's Paper include a short list (attached) of other local birds, more or less known; for example "Parus major trinachius" (not listed in James's HBW Alive Key) as well as the double-i-version of "Parus caeruleus pistonii" and the still missing "Falco tinnunculus rubinoi".

That's all, that's truly all!
---

Attachments

• End of Paper, TRISCHITTA 1939.jpg
    End of Paper, TRISCHITTA 1939.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
For the one curious I can add that the end of Trischitta's Paper include a short list (attached) of other local birds, more or less well-known; for example "Parus major trinachius" (not listed in James's HBW Alive Key) as well as the double-i-version of "Parus caeruleus pistonii" and the still missing "Falco tinnunculus rubinoi".
Actually (having now seen the whole text -- thanks to Björn :t:), these are not really "known" birds. He says that these are forms that he also considers separable, and "sulle quali mi riservo di ritornare e alle quali appongo fin d'ora rispetivamente i nomi:" [= on which I reserve the right to return and to which I attach from now respectively the names] "Corvus monedula rava - Sardegna" etc.
Thus these are names that he had not introduced yet, but wanted to establish. The names in this list are not available from this work, because there is no description of the birds whatsoever. Some of them presumably received a description in the Altre nuove forme di uccelli italiani. (And if they were then spelled differently, this different spelling is the correct one.)

Last edited:
Upupa epops renzoi – Upupa di Sardegna
= Renzo Ragionieri ... see attached excerpt.
The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Common Quail ssp. Coturnix coturnix ragionierii Trischitta, 1939 NCR [NUI Coturnixcoturnix coturnix]
Dr Renzo Ragionieri (DNF)was an Italian naturalist and taxidermist. He co-wrote 'Altre nuove forme di uccelli italiani' (1939). (See Renzo)
As seen by Björns post wrong.

Eurasian Hoopoe ssp. Upupa epops renzoni Trischitta 1939 [JS Upupa epops epops]
Dr Renzo Ragionieri
✔️

Could be from here Renzo Ragionieri (1905-1965).

Last edited:
Renzo wrote RAGIONIERI Renzo (1952) Imbalsamazione degli uccelli , Editoriale Olimpia , Firenze A major work on taxidermy - I can not confirm his dates but see here. (not seen completely).

I do find a Renzo Rangioni (1938-2019) born in Florence died in Pelago (but perhaps Renzo jnr).

Cesare was Renzo's father and I believe died on 15 April 1946 in Florence see here (not seen completely) "Cesare Ragionieri , il decano dei buoni tassidermisti"

Gaetano Vinci (Messina, 24 settembre 1869 – dopo il 2 marzo 1945)

Carlo Orlando is in Eponym (1898-1976) Founded the museum at Terrasini, Sicily (c. 1929) his son Vittorio Emanuele Orlando is here

Last edited:
I (as well) haven´t any access to Antonino (I think P. = Pietro) Trischitta's two pamphlets but ...

... there was an Italian Ornithologist and Taxidermist; Dr. A. Pistone (????–????), one of the first to study the Migration over the Messina Sound, in the 1880-90's.

Could it be him?
I found:

Pistone , Ant . Dissemipazione zoofila per uccelli fitofagi
Pistone , Antonio , Di alcune cisti tannifere . ( Nuovo Giornale Botanico Italiano . Nuova serie . Vol . II . 1895. p . 62-69 . )

But I realized I stated that already...

Maybe just and small enhancement Antonio Pistone of Massena was as well a botanist. See here or here

P.S. And yes from The Ibis, Vol 106 p xiv his name is Antonino Pietro Trischitta.

I had assumed it was Antonino Pistone of Messina.This is the Sicilian diminutive of Antonio and much more common. But I was wrong it is Antonio..

Last edited:
Se mi mandi il tuo indirizzo come messaggio privato te lo inoltrerò.
Grazie!!! Antonino Trischitta descrisse numerose nuove specie di uccelli italiani la cui validita' e' risultata quasi sempre discutibile. Ad esempio per quanto riguarda la Sardegna, l'Opus scops vincii oggi non e' piu' ritenuto valido (come ad esempio il cuculo sardo, l'upupa sarda ecc).. L'unica sottospecie di Strigiformi riconosciuta in Sardegna e' il Barbagianni sardo-corso (Tyto alba ernesti) descritto da Otto Kleinschmidt nel 1901. Il nome e' una dedica all'amico Ernest Hartert. Ad oggi non sono state fatte specifiche analisi genetiche che ne confermerebbero il rango a sottospecie ma, come ho detto, e' ancora riconosciuta.
Sempre Kleinschmidt descrisse l'Athene noctua sarda, ma anche questa presunta sottospecie, oggi non e' piu' ritenuta valida

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back