• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can satisfy a photographer ? (1 Viewer)

YOD4

Hi to all, im new of the community, my name is Nicola and i write from Rome :)
This is the question of the day:
Can digiscoping statisfy a photographer ?

From 3 weeks ago i read and view anithing on the web about digiscoping, i have viewd some fantastic photo and some bad photos, but i cant know if the photo i have watched are manipulated with crop resize contrast and color change...
i want to view a RAW shot from a good digiscoper, i want to view what digiscoping can witouth the "hand of photoshop" can someone post some RAW photos ?

Second question:
I have read many articles where are writted "Swarovski HD spotting scope are the best bird-digiscoping product", but some days ago an italian birdwatcher say to me that the Kowa TSN 820m Fluorite are the best spotting scope for digiscoping and birdwatching... now my little brain like that -> :brains:

help me guys
Thanks and Best Regards
PS sorry for the maccaroni english :D

Hi Yoda and on behalf of the staff here at BirdForum, a warm welcome to you.

I love digiscoping but there are times (a lot actually) that I miss the spontaneity of a hand held. Of course without a large zoom lens you are not going to get the closeups that you get with digiscoping anyway. Flight shots are pretty much a thing of the passed.

Try take a look at Jay Turberville's page on digiscoping and especially the sub-page on "Digiscoping with Catadioptric Scopes" (http://www.jayandwanda.com/digicat/digicat.html). There are several unmodified images as well as images with a little sharpening applied, using several different setups all sporting the CP5000 camera. The new Kyocera 4mp camera gets reviews saying it is better than the coolpix cameras for this application.

Niels

Hello Yod4

Its not possible to post Raw files on birdforum. They are too large!. Probably over 3Mb.
Many of the photographs that you see have been cropped and sharpened. Some do have colour changed, and some changed to get rid of Chromatic problems.

Digiscoping is a frustrating art. The depth of field is very small ( centimetres ). Many shots are out of focus because of this. Shots may also be blurred because of movement of subject, movement of camera/scope, heat haze etc. It can be very disheartening when you only have one good shot out of hundreds.

Good luck if you do decide to go down the digiscoping route!.

If you or someone want can send raw photos to my email address:
ornelli at tiscali dot it

Thanks to everyone want help me :)

alan_rymer said:
Hello Yod4

Its not possible to post Raw files on birdforum. They are too large!. Probably over 3Mb.
Many of the photographs that you see have been cropped and sharpened. Some do have colour changed, and some changed to get rid of Chromatic problems.

Digiscoping is a frustrating art. The depth of field is very small ( centimetres ). Many shots are out of focus because of this. Shots may also be blurred because of movement of subject, movement of camera/scope, heat haze etc. It can be very disheartening when you only have one good shot out of hundreds.

Good luck if you do decide to go down the digiscoping route!.

I have had the benefit of owning both the Kowa 823 and the Swarovski ATS 80 HD. Both are excellent scopes to use for digiscoping and I'd be hard pressed to say which is best overall as they each have pluses and minuses.

I still feel though that if high quality bird photos are the primary aim then digiscoping simply doesn't compete with a DLSR and nice long lens. DSLR's and lenses are designed for photogrpahy - spotting scopes aren't, though decent enough shots can be taken.

DSLR's win out for ease of use too. Digiscoping is easier in respect of getting a photo from greater distances, often without the need for using a hide or great use of 'fieldcraft'.

Of course if you look at digiscoping examples in the Gallery from the likes of Laurence Poh then you could think different - http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php?mcats=all&si=&what=allfields&name=pohsp&when=&whenterm=

I have sent a couple of full sized photos taken with the Contax SL300RT+Swaro scope and the CP4500 with the Swaro and Kowa 823 for comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back