PDA

View Full Version : Chengdu, Huanhuaxi Park

PaulShanghai
Sunday 15th December 2013, 01:27
Lots of these in the park this weekend. They're very tame and approachable.

Jeff hopkins
Sunday 15th December 2013, 09:47
Red-billed Leiothrix.

PaulShanghai
Sunday 15th December 2013, 12:07
Thanks. I've been struggling to ID them. I only have one field guide, MacKinnon and Phillipps, and the illustrations aren't ideal.

McMadd
Sunday 15th December 2013, 12:27
If you are based in Shannghai and birding the east then treat yourself to Brazil for Christmas...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-East-Asia-Field-Guides/dp/0713670401/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387114026&sr=8-1&keywords=mark+brazil

atb
McM

PaulShanghai
Sunday 15th December 2013, 12:42
That looks useful. My home is in Shanghai but I'm working in Chengdu. Ideally I'd like something that covers all of China, and that's better than what I have. I still intend to treat myself with it for Christmas though!

china guy
Monday 16th December 2013, 22:14
Hi Paul - welcome to Chengdu
MacK is the only full field guide for the whole of China - the plates at worst give you a rough guide - after which you can check with OBC images to see if your bird matches one of their photos.

As for the Leiothrix - I'm afraid large numbers, in public parks, especially if they're very tame, can be the result of a mass cage release - all in the dubious name of trying to get a few extra karma points from the big guy in the clouds

mcaribou
Tuesday 17th December 2013, 10:34
u wont find Brazil's more useful than the one u have,and u'll find the same number of this or that bird released by humans and killed then by cats almost in any cities incl. Shanghai.

thrush
Wednesday 18th December 2013, 13:07
Thanks. I've been struggling to ID them. I only have one field guide, MacKinnon and Phillipps, and the illustrations aren't ideal.

Hi Paul,

It's enough of a pity that Sichuan-Yunnan lack their OWN field guide; the region is rich enough to justify a national-level field guide.

It's even more of a shame that MacKinnon and Phillipps remains the only well-known guide in English covering all China.

I'm doing my best to rectify this situation; I'm authoring a photographic field guide to the birds of China. Alas, I can only tease you now. But I'm plugging away!

For now, if I were you, I'd "surround" your Chengdu base with excellent field guides from nearby areas, such as Robson's Birds of Southeast Asia and Grimmett, et al.'s Birds of the Indian Subcontinent. Those guides, along with Brazil, MacKinnon and Phillipps, and online resources such as birdforum.net's Opus (http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Welcome), are the best tools available for the time being.

PaulShanghai
Thursday 19th December 2013, 10:38
Thanks for the advice. I've read many of your posts: are you years away from publishing, or will you have something ready sooner? Whenever it comes, I'm sure it'll be a very welcome resource!

PaulShanghai
Thursday 19th December 2013, 10:51
Hi Paul - welcome to Chengdu

<snip>

Thanks. That's a very informative website you have.

thrush
Tuesday 24th December 2013, 01:34
Thanks for the advice. I've read many of your posts: are you years away from publishing, or will you have something ready sooner? Whenever it comes, I'm sure it'll be a very welcome resource!

PaulShanghai, the pace depends on many factors. In 2013, I made the decision to travel much of the year, because I want to deeply understand the country I'm writing about; I've now been to 31 of the 34 provincial-level entities of China. This year, for my birding trips I've logged about 18,000 km on ground transportation alone. Traveling so much has allowed me to personally collect many photos useful for the photographic field guide, but it has slowed down the pace of the writing. These past few days, I've been wrestling with the decision of whether to write more in 2014 or spend more time in the field. It's a tough call. I just started Year 3 of the project; I hope to have a publishable product by the end of Year 4.