• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shenstone Planning Proposal (1 Viewer)

Jason K

Hi all,

I have decided to set up this new thread just for news/activity on the Shenstone planning proposal. That way any news on this issue can be kept separate from the everyday posts on the Shenstone thread regarding bird sightings etc. Hopefully this way the news on the developing situation will get out quicker and those who are interested in this topic will not have to sift through other posts.

Shenstone holds one of the largest and last remaining breeding populations of Corn Bunting in the county and this development for a permanent 'traveling show people site' and associated caravans and fairground rides could have an adverse effect on said species and other declining arable birds in the area

Thanks
Jason K

Some of you may remember that about 12 months ago a planning application to create a Travelling Show People site on Heath Lane, Shenstone was submitted and after many objections/much campaigning from residents and local birders/wildlife lovers rejected.

I have found out however that this application has been re-submitted this week.

As some of you may be aware, Shenstone holds one of the largest and last remaining breeding populations of Corn Bunting in the county and this development could have an adverse effect on said species and other declining arable birds in the area.

So I am rallying around a lot of my local birding contacts and would be grateful if you could lend your support and object to this proposal on the grounds of the potential impact on the areas bird life

The application can be viewed/objected to by clicking on the following web link:

http://www.wyreforest.gov.uk/fastweb/detail.asp?AltRef=14/0017/FULL&ApplicationNumber=14%2F0017%2FFull&AddressPrefix=&Postcode=&CaseOfficer=&ParishName=&AreaTeam=&WardMember=&DateReceivedStart=&DateReceivedEnd=&DateDecidedStart=&DateDecidedEnd=&Locality=&AgentName=&ApplicantName=&ShowDecided=&DecisionLevel=&Sort1=FullAddressPrefix&Sort2=DateReceived+DESC&Submit=Search

Cheers
Jason

HI all,

Just to keep you informed, I have contacted the planners at Wyre Forest District Council and have now sent them the following statement:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have spent some time looking through all the details of the planning proposal including the report by Worcs Wildlife Consultancy by Alan Shepherd. In this report there is no mention of Corn Bunting (the most at risk species there).

I have contacted Worcestershire Wildlife Trust regarding the report as it looks at wildlife within a 2km area of the site yet omits key species...such as Corn Bunting which breeds within that radius. The Wildlife Trust are now looking into this as Corn Bunting is on the Natural Environment and Rural Communities act 2006. list of species of principle importance so it should be to be taken into account by the planners.

The data includes a report from Worcestershire Biological Records Centre (WBRC) on 23rd May 2013 for the Heath Lane site has no mention of Corn Buntings for the site or the wider area! This report, only shows bird data up to 2010. Where as I have submitted many Corn Bunting and arable bird records for the area to WBRC (in spread sheet form with grid refs) for 2011, 2012, 2013. Although I have been informed by WBRC that this may not be live on the county database yet.

I find the lack of this information in the report, particularly regarding Corn Bunting and the breeding Little Owl site (in a tree opposite the entrance to the Islamic School) rather frustrating...especially if the WFDC planners are using this evidence in their decision!

Since 2007, I have put many sightings of Corn Bunting through to the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) and West Midlands Bird Club (WMBC) so the information of them breeding within this area is recorded!

It can also be noted that a Worcestershire Recorder and local naturalist, Steve Davies, did a survey of singing Corn Buntings on territory in the county between 2006 and 2008 and recorded 6 singing males at Shenstone. This survey was published in the Worcestershire Record (see below link):

http://www.wbrc.org.uk/WORCRECD/Issue%2026/some_breeding_locations_of_corn_bunting.htm

Hope this info is of use

Regards
Jason Kernohan

HI all,

Just to keep you informed, I have contacted the planners at Wyre Forest District Council and have now sent them the following statement:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have spent some time looking through all the details of the planning proposal including the report by Worcs Wildlife Consultancy by Alan Shepherd. In this report there is no mention of Corn Bunting (the most at risk species there).

I have contacted Worcestershire Wildlife Trust regarding the report as it looks at wildlife within a 2km area of the site yet omits key species...such as Corn Bunting which breeds within that radius. The Wildlife Trust are now looking into this as Corn Bunting is on the Natural Environment and Rural Communities act 2006. list of species of principle importance so it should be to be taken into account by the planners.

The data includes a report from Worcestershire Biological Records Centre (WBRC) on 23rd May 2013 for the Heath Lane site has no mention of Corn Buntings for the site or the wider area! This report, only shows bird data up to 2010. Where as I have submitted many Corn Bunting and arable bird records for the area to WBRC (in spread sheet form with grid refs) for 2011, 2012, 2013. Although I have been informed by WBRC that this may not be live on the county database yet.

I find the lack of this information in the report, particularly regarding Corn Bunting and the breeding Little Owl site (in a tree opposite the entrance to the Islamic School) rather frustrating...especially if the WFDC planners are using this evidence in their decision!

Since 2007, I have put many sightings of Corn Bunting through to the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) and West Midlands Bird Club (WMBC) so the information of them breeding within this area is recorded!

It can also be noted that a Worcestershire Recorder and local naturalist, Steve Davies, did a survey of singing Corn Buntings on territory in the county between 2006 and 2008 and recorded 6 singing males at Shenstone. This survey was published in the Worcestershire Record (see below link):

http://www.wbrc.org.uk/WORCRECD/Issue%2026/some_breeding_locations_of_corn_bunting.htm

Hope this info is of use

Regards
Jason Kernohan

It's a good job your fast on the mark Jason unlike the other organisations. John

HI all,

Hope this info is of use

Regards
Jason Kernohan

Hi Jase,

Some very sloppy work there by the Worcs Wildlife Consultancy (AS et al.)by the looks of it. Makes you wonder about a lot of things.:C The Corn Buntings aren't exactly that difficult to find for people who know what they're doing and are prepared to put in a bit of effort.

Good luck with the campaign.:t:

I reckon this is a perfect example of the lack of co-ordination and communication between our recording bodies. It would seem that the only records used by planners are county biological records. Very few people know anything about these organisations, some of which are still funded by Councils, and some, I believe, are run by volunteers (Worcs?), and most people wouldn't know how to contact them or send in records.
As far as I know, BirdTrack etc are not consulted by planners. The whole issue of accurate recording needs a complete overhaul; but then who would do that?!

I reckon this is a perfect example of the lack of co-ordination and communication between our recording bodies. It would seem that the only records used by planners are county biological records. Very few people know anything about these organisations, some of which are still funded by Councils, and some, I believe, are run by volunteers (Worcs?), and most people wouldn't know how to contact them or send in records.
As far as I know, BirdTrack etc are not consulted by planners. The whole issue of accurate recording needs a complete overhaul; but then who would do that?!

Clearly Mr Shephed and the Worcestershire Wildlife Consultancy could have looked at a wide range of readily available information (see as the West Midland Bird Club annual reports) but instead took a very narrow snapshot and just one site visit! Just a simple chat with the County Recorder would have highlighted the Corn Bunting stronghold :C

Hi Jase,

Some very sloppy work there by the Worcs Wildlife Consultancy (AS et al.)by the looks of it. Makes you wonder about a lot of things.:C The Corn Buntings aren't exactly that difficult to find for people who know what they're doing and are prepared to put in a bit of effort.

Good luck with the campaign.:t:

Thanks Dave...it certainly makes you wonder!

Hi Mary,

It certainly highlights a lack of communication between the recording bodies and the lack of use by planners of important data from the likes of the BTO, WMBC.

Worcestershire Biological Records Centre has a paid manager and a paid part time member of staff. They are then complimented by a team of volunteers. The WBRC is an independent charitable organization and company, part grant funded and part self funded. I have submitted all my wildlife records for my local patch (Shenstone/Stone/Summerfield) to them for the last 3 years now (as well as all bird records to the WMBC county recorder as well)

Cheers
Jason

Clearly Mr Shephed and the Worcestershire Wildlife Consultancy could have looked at a wide range of readily available information (see as the West Midland Bird Club annual reports) but instead took a very narrow snapshot and just one site visit! Just a simple chat with the County Recorder would have highlighted the Corn Bunting stronghold :C

It certainly seems that the Worcestershire Wildlife Consultancy only looked at a narrow range of available information. This certainly highlights inadequacies in the current system of information sharing.

Hi Mary,

It certainly highlights a lack of communication between the recording bodies and the lack of use by planners of important data from the likes of the BTO, WMBC.

Worcestershire Biological Records Centre has a paid manager and a paid part time member of staff. They are then complimented by a team of volunteers. The WBRC is an independent charitable organization and company, part grant funded and part self funded. I have submitted all my wildlife records for my local patch (Shenstone/Stone/Summerfield) to them for the last 3 years now (as well as all bird records to the WMBC county recorder as well)

Cheers
Jason

I believe Warwickshire BRC are still part of the County Council, though no doubt increasingly short staffed. So, maybe every county has a different means of recording information that is vital when planning decisions are made. Where is the sense?

English Heritage state there are approximately 374,081 listed building entries. Woe betide anyone who even dreamt of laying a finger on them without permission! Do not the 'powers that be' place far more importance on bricks and mortar than on all our wildlife and habitats that have taken millennia to evolve?

Rant over... but it really gets to me! Will go lie down in a dark room!

...English Heritage state there are approximately 374,081 listed building entries. Woe betide anyone who even dreamt of laying a finger on them without permission! Do not the 'powers that be' place far more importance on bricks and mortar than on all our wildlife and habitats that have taken millennia to evolve?

Rant over... but it really gets to me! Will go lie down in a dark room!

I was thinking about that same thing the other day.
Where I went to Uni in Sheffield there's a church/lecture theatre that's grade 2 listed which has had a Peregrine nesting platform put onto it...I wonder if that even caused some debate.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back