• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI thetford otters and surrounding area (1 Viewer)

Isurus

Hi All,
My missus and I have a weekend in Cambridge planned late feb. Target species are otter, chinese water deer and anything else we can get. My plan at present is:
1. Hit Lakenheath early morning for whatever we can get,
2. Hit Thetford town, have breakfast and try to connect with the otters,
3. Amble around the area for whatever else we think may yield something interesting - Lynnford Arboretum? Thetford Forest?
4. Drop into Ely Cathedral for some cultcha; and
5 End the daylight hours over at Woodwalton Fen for CWD, roosting harriers and so on.

If anyone has any up to date info on the Thetford Otters that'd be great - I know they are still showing but their whereabouts seem less well advertised these days (there are dark hints of persecution on the FB page).
I'd also welcome gen on the deer and any suggestions for other must-do's in the region naturewise.....
Thanks all!

Hi All,
My missus and I have a weekend in Cambridge planned late feb. Target species are otter, chinese water deer and anything else we can get. My plan at present is:
1. Hit Lakenheath early morning for whatever we can get,
2. Hit Thetford town, have breakfast and try to connect with the otters,
3. Amble around the area for whatever else we think may yield something interesting - Lynnford Arboretum? Thetford Forest?
4. Drop into Ely Cathedral for some cultcha; and
5 End the daylight hours over at Woodwalton Fen for CWD, roosting harriers and so on.

If anyone has any up to date info on the Thetford Otters that'd be great - I know they are still showing but their whereabouts seem less well advertised these days (there are dark hints of persecution on the FB page).
I'd also welcome gen on the deer and any suggestions for other must-do's in the region naturewise.....
Thanks all!

We had great views of roosting harriers including 2 male hen harriers at lakenheath fen so might want to finish there rather than start! My mate thought he saw an otter on the river at santon downham but it was a brief view, i think they get otters at lakenheath as well!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back