• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wychbury Wood (1 Viewer)

andydan

Afternoon everyone.

I used to live next to this wood and can remember always being up there as a child.
Too busy being a child to notice what was happening around me.
I can always remember hearing a cuckoo from my house as regular as clockwork every year without fail, its something I miss.
I was wondering how many of you have walked around it and what species you have seen.
I can remember seeing Jays ,tree creepers wrens, buzzards, magpies crows.
I am going to attempt to venture up there again in the spring weather permitting and my leg holding out.

It would be nice to hear if anybody else frequents there.

Is this the area close to Halesowen Rugby club and Wassle Grove if so I haven't been their for years but it's about time for a fresh visit me thinks

I can't say I've ever been birding in or around the wood but whenever I drive past I always think the area looks good for a variety of things; some lovely looking rolling hill forms to it too. Pretty undisturbed too I imagine? Owls always spring to mind for some reason, could well be a variety of species throughout the year with any luck.

Also...I've posted this elsewhere but now there's a thread...

I've heard on the grapevine that there is a hide somewhere around this area, supposedly put in place for a specific raptor that frequented the area for a time. Any ideas? I've had some comments but would be interesting to hear if anyone else knows about this hide...

Would be interesting to find out about there being a hide.
Not sure were it would be I used to know every corner of that wood after 15 years of exploring , I even knew were the well was and the wych elm were Bella was found.
There used to be a badgers set in that wood.

I can remember a bird of prey once nested on the actual monument obelisk.

There is a whole different range of trees ranging from pine ,oak elm and a fair few more species.

Have not properly walked the woods for 20 years ,but I will try and get out and try and photograph a few secies.

Would be happy to meet up with fellow enthusiasts.

I, personally, have never found the wood that interesting - it is lacking in an understorey and is well-used. The Yews are impressive and it is a noted Iron-Age hill fort.

As for the 'obelisk' - it is a useful metaphor for Lord Cobham 'stuck up and of no use at all';)

Best of luck -

Laurie:t:

I, personally, have never found the wood that interesting - it is lacking in an understorey and is well-used. The Yews are impressive and it is a noted Iron-Age hill fort.

As for the 'obelisk' - it is a useful metaphor for Lord Cobham 'stuck up and of no use at all';)

Best of luck -

I shall never view the 'Obelisk' in the same light again Laurie!!:eek!::-O

I had a single Hawfinch in a berry tree atop of Wychbury Hill, I doubt it will still be there though as it was in December 2008!;)

I would imagine it to be a very muddy walk up the hill at present, almost as bad as Uffmoor!

Well thats made me feel better .
A hawfinch is on my list of birds to see.
I suppose its because of having ties to that area that is bringing me to want to go back.
If anybody fancies a trip there when the weather dries out give me a shout.
I know were to park the car without it getting damaged.

Andy -

Pam did very well with a Hawfinch there, they're regular but still elusive outside the breeding season around the Wardens cottage @ Wyre Forest......

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back