• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawswater Golden Eagle ? (1 Viewer)

barontan2418

United Kingdom
On what was possibly the best day weather wise this year I spent 5 hours waiting for our friend to show but no sign of him. What was unusual was the number of corvids flying across the valley with impunity. I know one day with no sighting means nothing but I did start to worry. I would ask any member who visits the watch-point to let us know of any sightings. I've been visiting the watch-point for close to 20 years now and cannot remember a day with such good weather when I've failed to get a sighting He should have been up there displaying.

Yeah hope he's ok, been years since I was last over there.

Watching the eagle scrapping with a peregrine was a view I'll always remember ;)

I'm surprised a re-introduction hasn't been attempted. My understanding is he's pretty much wasting his time at the moment. Surely better than releasing any more Red Kites. Plus I need GE for Yorkshire and with no off - spring that's starting to look unlikely now. The days of relatively regular North Yorkshire sightings have gone.

The Catch-22 with reintroduction is that:-

If there is a chance of a connection with the northern population then a female will come along hence no need for a reintroduction.

If there is no chance of a connection with the northern population then the Lakes would have to support its own sustainable population of 30+ pairs which it can't. Hence no reintroduction.

On what was possibly the best day weather wise this year I spent 5 hours waiting for our friend to show but no sign of him. What was unusual was the number of corvids flying across the valley with impunity. I know one day with no sighting means nothing but I did start to worry. I would ask any member who visits the watch-point to let us know of any sightings. I've been visiting the watch-point for close to 20 years now and cannot remember a day with such good weather when I've failed to get a sighting He should have been up there displaying.

Barontan, on Tuesday afternoon I was walking up the north ridge to Kidsty Pike when I thought he landed briefly on the ridge, mobbed by crows/ravens- about 2pm. Half an hour later there was another view of a bird displaying over the head of Riggindale. Neither view was more than fleeting. Did you see it? If so, I must have been mistaken; perhaps it was a buzzard!

Barontan, on Tuesday afternoon I was walking up the north ridge to Kidsty Pike when I thought he landed briefly on the ridge, mobbed by crows/ravens- about 2pm. Half an hour later there was another view of a bird displaying over the head of Riggindale. Neither view was more than fleeting. Did you see it? If so, I must have been mistaken; perhaps it was a buzzard!

No I left at about 13:30. Still as long as he is still around that's fine. Thanks to all for putting my angst at ease.

Why does any possible re introduction just have to include the Lake district,surely the whole of the northern fells area are ideal,and could support such a population???

You would be introducing birds just to have them shot. Its Dodge City up there, and no sheriff to save the day (I mean in the Pennines more than the Lake District.)

John

You would be introducing birds just to have them shot. Its Dodge City up there, and no sheriff to save the day (I mean in the Pennines more than the Lake District.)

John

We don't need a sheriff, satellite track them and the game keepers wouldn't dare take a pot shot. Fit transmitters with solar chargers to various unspecified species of Bird of Prey throughout problem areas. Display live tracking information on a website for monitors to keep an eye on. Position, height and direction will be known, if anything looks wrong then get somebody into the area quickly. Hammer people who cause harm to the birds and I think we would have a massive deterrent.

We don't need a sheriff, satellite track them and the game keepers wouldn't dare take a pot shot. Fit transmitters with solar chargers to various unspecified species of Bird of Prey throughout problem areas. Display live tracking information on a website for monitors to keep an eye on. Position, height and direction will be known, if anything looks wrong then get somebody into the area quickly. Hammer people who cause harm to the birds and I think we would have a massive deterrent.

So you find a dead bird with a satellite tracker. So its full of lead shot. So what? No rifling marks from a shotgun: no evidence that the estate, let alone the keeper, has done anything. No prosecution, laughs all round for the perpetrators.

You need an armed UAV I reckon!

John

So you find a dead bird with a satellite tracker. So its full of lead shot. So what? No rifling marks from a shotgun: no evidence that the estate, let alone the keeper, has done anything. No prosecution, laughs all round for the perpetrators.

You need an armed UAV I reckon!

John

The UAV sounds good to me, I like your style.

With sat tagged hen harriers they tags tend to get found under rocks in streams...

Many thanks. I'm back up there again this week for a second try.

You might like to try the Rough Crag track and look across from the ridge: he often comes up on that side of the valley and the views can be awesome (see last years pic at post #5)

Good luck and my best to the boy!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back