• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringing trainer in Cleveland? (1 Viewer)

chris murphy

Used Register
Hi folks
Can anybody help me to find a trainer in Cleveland/north-North Yorkshire? I'd like to take up ringing and am having a bit of trouble finding anyone.
Cheers
Chris.

Hi Chris,

I believe the BTO organises them all and they should be able to put you in touch with someone locally - http://www.bto.org/ringing/

Else maybe Chris Sharp or Rob Little from Teesmouth Bird Club site http://www25.brinkster.com/teesmouthbc/default.asp?id=1&mnu=1 maybe able to help out. There are a good few around as I regularly come across them north of the river either at the Long Drag by the concrete block house on Sunday mornings or Cowpen Bewley Wildlife Park where the wardens may be able to help with a contact. Likewise Summerhill reserve at Hartlepool where some of the regulars sometimes help out - at both reserves the net the feeding stations. At this time of year though with the weather so hit and miss (cold and windy) they're out less often.

Also I think it does depend on whether they are prepared to take on someone to train.

If it's fine this weekend I'll be coming south of the river and I'll ask about for you. I usually bump into a few lads from the Carlin How area.

Hi Chris

If you are interested in becoming a trainee ringer then please contact the BTO Ringing Unit direct (01842 750050 or email: [email protected]). The process is that BTO staff will make the initial contact with trainers in your area and find out if they are in a position to take on a trainee. Some Trainers might have their 'full quota' of trainees or their current level of ringing activities might not be enough to support a trainee.

I'm sure we can sort out a Trainer for you.

Best wishes
Dawn Balmer
BTO

Hi Chris,
listen to Dawn, she's a good un & will help.
good luck & hope you get sorted very soon, just in time for the birds coming back so hope you like getting up nice & early....... like when it's dark on a June morning.. good fun really

Hi Chris
Ringing is really great fun and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I don't know if there is one in your area, but if you have the choice, I recommend joining a ringing group. There are usually several members and often more than one trainer. this gives you the chance to go out with different people and visit a variety of sites. This is more fun and also gives you a lot more experience with different catching techniques and with the aging and sexing of different species.
The best of luck with it.

Tom

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies, appreciate the help. I've sent off an email to the BTO, hopefully they should be able to sort something for me. It'll be nice to get something sorted ready for Spring approaching as I can't imagine too many ringers have been overly keen to go out in the sub-zero temperatures lately.
Best regards
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back