• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oostervaardersplassen, Amsterdam (1 Viewer)

Johnny1

Although early March(3rd to 7th) isn't the best time to visit birdwise a 5 day trip to Amsterdam was booked with a day or two birding and the rest of the time left for sight seeing as my wife had never visited Amsterdam before.
We decided the Oostvaardersplassen would be the best place to visit for our main days birding due to it's location as its only a train ride from Amsterdam however when we realised how vast the area is and only small parts pf the reserve are open to the public we decided to book a guide for the day and I'm truly glad we did, I don't think we'd have seen half the number of birds we did without the help of Taco our guide (Flevobirdwatching tours) who was very knowleagable of both the area and the birds.
Although no Spoonbills were seen as it was a little too early there were plenty of Gt.White Egrets which are far commoner here than Little Egrets,
White Tailed Eagle views of one in flight and one perched.
Rough Legged Buzzard, one definite and a couple which showed RLB behaviour but couldn't be confirmed.
Goshawk two seen with my first sighting of a perched bird.
Smew in double figures on the reserve and from the Oostvaardersdijk, I've always wanted to see the males in their natural habitat and not the usual redheads we normally see occasionally here (Lancashire)
Of course all the waders and wildfowl you would expect to see on a wetland were here Tufted Ducks and Gt.Crested Grebes were numerous.
Litterally thousands of Barnacle Geese were here with smaller numbers of White Fronted Goose and Grey Lag.
Mammals, large herds of Red Deer and Konic Horses with a small number of Roe Deer, we were shown the location of beavers, as these are mostly nocturnal none were seen.
Sloterspark (south east of Amsterdam)
There is a Heronry in the main Park providing plenty of photo opportunities as the paths run directly through it... but don't stand underneath for too long for obvious reasons! There were a few egg shells underneath the nests so I presume some of the chicks had recently hatched. Also seen here Gt Spotted Woodpeckers, 1 Green woodpecker, 3 Short Toed Treecreepers, Buzzard, Egyptian Geese and the usual waterfowl.
To the West of the main park across the dual carriageway (President Allendelaan road) is a small "nature reserve" were we saw 2 Buzzards, a recently arrived White Stork standing on a nesting platform less than 10 meters away which again gave great photo's. and while we were watching the Stork a flyover Goshawk.
Thanks again to Taco.

Attachments

• IMG_8052#001.jpg
    IMG_8052#001.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7996#001.jpg
    IMG_7996#001.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7955#001.jpg
    IMG_7955#001.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_7944#001.jpg
    IMG_7944#001.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 129
Oostervardersplassen is superb and it always amazes me that it was formed by reclaimed land that was originally made for industrial use.. Its a pity you didn't see the Heck cattle, the nearest thing to the extinct Aurochs that used to wander around Europe. If you go in the late autumn / early winter you've got a chance to see more Smew in a single flock than have been recorded in the UK this century ( plus a shed load of other stuff ).

Last edited:
Sorry Chris, we did see the cattle I ommited to mention them, our guide explained they were trying to have wildlife as near as possible to the way it was years ago. I'd love to return in the autumn though this year's out as we're going to Peru this year.

This is great reserve, indeed.

I always wonder if there are plans to reintroduce some rare small fauna and plants. This reserve is, as already told, artificially drained land isolated by many kilometers of intensive farmland. Maybe they are planning to study it as an example of island ecosystem?

This is great reserve, indeed.

I always wonder if there are plans to reintroduce some rare small fauna and plants. This reserve is, as already told, artificially drained land isolated by many kilometers of intensive farmland. Maybe they are planning to study it as an example of island ecosystem?

We were told there may be a possibility of introducing wolves to the area, the red deer are becoming a huge problem there by killing trees etc. When they tried culling them they had so many complaints from the public they had to stop.

Brings back memories of visits made whilst serving in Germany (Army) Only twice in my birding life have I managed to see Hen, Marsh and Monty's in one location and the first was Oostvaarderpalssen . Great place.

Although still impressive (the only place in the Netherlands where seeing Fox by day is a usual occurrence), the overgrazing by all those ungulates has seriously diminished the variation in birdlife.

Enjoy an opposing view with the legendary Rob Bijlsma: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWvFAGWwmeg (switch on captions [cc in the right bottom corner] for English subtitles).

There were plans to connect the area with the Veluwe (a large forested area which also supports Red Deer), but those plans have been shelved as the mood in the Netherlands has turned very much against conservation.

Although still impressive (the only place in the Netherlands where seeing Fox by day is a usual occurrence), the overgrazing by all those ungulates has seriously diminished the variation in birdlife.

Enjoy an opposing view with the legendary Rob Bijlsma: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWvFAGWwmeg (switch on captions [cc in the right bottom corner] for English subtitles).

There were plans to connect the area with the Veluwe (a large forested area which also supports Red Deer), but those plans have been shelved as the mood in the Netherlands has turned very much against conservation.
I must agree the area is overgrazed, in the areas we visited where the large herds of horses and deer grazed the grass was either very short or non existant. Thanks for providing the link.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back