• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

magnification V Stability (1 Viewer)

stagsden

I am looking to buy a new pair of binos. I have been using a pair of Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*'s for many years but recently tried a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42's which were staggering.
I am tempted to now go for the Swarovski 10x42 EL for the extra magnification which would be very benifitial but have been warned that they will not be as steady.
Anyone with a pair of these binos and would like to comment on their own experience.

Alec

They will not be as steady, why dont try the Zeiss FL 7x42? I prefer 7x42 and don't regret buying the Zeiss FL 7x42. The resolution is amazing and a stable view is very useful. If to buy a pair of EL:s I would recommend the 8,5x42 since the 10x-model is not as good optically, and be sure you get the "MKII-version" with the new faster focusing wheel.

Alec,

Stability is much more complicated than simply being a tradeoff with magnification. Weight and balance are equally important, as they affect the vibration frequencies involved and the angular vs. displacement motions that take place. Some folks like myself find 10x binoculars quite stable, probably not because they are 10x but because of the other factors.

So, as most people would agree, there is no way around making the final determination based on your own personal assessment.

Regards,
Elkcub

Last edited:
Size of exit pupil is also important, a pair of 10x25 will appear more unstable than a 10x50, on the other hand the increased weight of a 10x50 can make them stable in the short run but for prolonged periods of time, they can make you tired in your arms. Some people take short peaks at birds, some like to gaze and study birds for longer periods. Our own opinion is always first, and only you know your own birding style.

stagsden said:
I am tempted to now go for the Swarovski 10x42 EL for the extra magnification which would be very benifitial but have been warned that they will not be as steady.
Hi, don't forget that Canon are bringing out a premium 10x 42 image stabilised bin. in March which should get round the stability problem. Should be worth a look.

I don't have a stability problem with 10x. A lot of the stability issues can be solved with how you hold your binos. Secondly, throwing away that cheap neck strap that comes with your binos and get a good bino suspender system.

ranburr

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back