• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a "backdoor" to Quebrada Gonzalez (1 Viewer)

gdhunter

During a recent visit to Hotel La Boruca, the owner (Kenneth) dropped me off along a road on which vehicular access eventually ended at a gate, behind which was a brown weathered sign evidently reading "Esta Area Pares De Uso Publico - MINAE ACCVC". Beyond the gate the road persisted as a reasonably well-maintained walking trail through some quality mid-elevation forested habitat. After about 90 minutes of walking beyond the gate the wide trail ended at an area of abandoned habitation, from which two narrow trails continued. At that point another weathered sign seemed to be a dedication to some Costa Ricans who died and others who lived, but my abysmally poor understanding of Spanish precluded any accurate or meaningful translation.

We had arrived at the gate during early afternoon and felt compelled (after a very short period on one of the narrow trails) to turn back in time to reach the road before dark. My companion was not a birder and my own claim is rather shaky, but during that period we did encounter Crested Guan, Chestnut-backed Antbirds, Bay Wens, Slate-throated Redstarts, Common Bush-Tanagers, Flame-colored Tanager, Sooty-faced and Yellow-thighed Finches. I suspect that I heard Yellow-eared Toucanet.

I believe that this area can be quite productive at the right time of day for birders more proficient than I. To get there, I suggest following the directions found here (http://www.laboruca.com/map2.html) for Hotel La Boruca, but continuing past the entrance along a road named (according to Google Maps) Calle La Palma. Perhaps 2 Km past the entrance to La Boruca the paved road ends, replaced by cobblestones. I am guessing that from the end of the pavement it may be another 2 Km to the gate that prevents vehicular entry. There is no designated parking area.

I suspect that during some of this walk we were within the boundaries of Braulio Carrillo NP. Kenneth tells me that the leftward narrow trail leads to a river.

Thank Gary. Yes, this trail is in the national park and is the famous Bajo la Hondura mentioned in Stiles and Skutch. One of the trails eventually reaches the highway pretty far uphill from Quebrada. Should be very good birding but one should be very careful to avoid getting lost in there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back