• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Trip That Didn't Happen (1 Viewer)

Beverlybaynes

Mod Squad
I had hoped to post a trip report today of my trip to find Snowy Owls in Muskegon, MI.

But no......

We had a terrible storm forecast for this part of the country, for Friday and Saturday. Late Thursday night and into Friday morning, the predictions were for up to 10 inches of snow.

And so we wimped out. Being 3 women in the car, and it being a long trip (225 miles one way), we decided it just wasn't a smart trip to make, given the forecast.

As it turned out, we ended up getting only about 2 1/2 inches of snow, being on the far northern reaches of the storm. We have had winds all yesterday and today that are howling through the trees and causing real problems south of us with heavy drifting across the roads, etc.

So, we probably could have made the trip safely, but we had decided that discretion was the better part of birding valor.

Darn it!!! I was really hoping to find Snowy Owls!! They would have been lifers for all of us in the car (and, I think, for Tim in Indiana, who was originally planning to join us up there). So it would have been an opportunity to have a SnowyBash -- and we were going to meet still another internet acquaintance (who I believe lurks here from time to time :) ). All this had been put together through the forum at GW.

But I've also developed a humdinger of a head cold, and I'm pretty sure no one else would have wanted to share that, along with the owls!

So instead of a great trip report, I'm planning to just watch my feeders, and the Daytona 500 on TV, and teach myself to quill (paper filigree) again, since I'm supposed to teach that to the women in my craft club next Saturday.

Oh, and fix myself a nice medicinal toddy! B :)

How disappointing. Well, I'm sure the owls would not have been there if you had gone. ;) They are only there if you don't go (at least that is my experience!)

Hope the birds consdiered your non show and are waiting for you to appear before setting off somewhere else.

And somebody even rained on the Daytona parade!!!!

My sympathies, Beverlybaynes - hope the toddy hit the spot!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back