• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiang Mai in June (1 Viewer)

brd

Just to narrow down what I wrote in the other thread, I think I've narrowed down my plans to doing a four day/three night trip to chaing mai from bangkok. Thaibirding.com (wow what an amazing site!) obviously has tons of great info, just wondering if anyone has a personal preference for best spot in chiang mai in june, tips on best affordable lodging, or any other advice for birding on a tight budget in the region.

Thanks!

Personally I most enjoy Doi Inthanon, staying at the Royal Project accommodation, but I haven't been up in June.
It will depend a lot on what you want out of your trip, though.

if i only had 4 days + 3 nights around Chiang Mai and i wanted to maximize the species & value (there's big distances around the North & lots of driving will eat into that short time a lot) i would settle on just 2 sites:

1. Doi inthanon - go here 1st & spend a couple of days (at least) on this immense location. The various altitudes & habitat/trails/tracks etc.. will keep you busy. Place to stay around here? well, cheapest beyond the park gates would be Mr. Daeng's birding centre/cafe. Basic but the bonus is when you wake the next day, you're right on the spot with all the major trails almost spitting distance away. Pricier options are the resorts much further away on the approach road just before the Park gates.

2. Mae Hia Agricultural College - 10 minutes from Chiang Mai city centre & an absolutely top birding area. It's a large site with farmed fields, wooded areas, marshes & lakes. Spend a good day (and a half?) here and you won't be disappointed. As this place is so close to CM, cheap guesthouses abound.

As it will be June, there'll be plenty of birds around especially lots of juv's.

Love the videos fantastic.. I am going to Chiang Mai in December what sort of prospects are there for getting some photo's then?

Thanks all! And the videos are great, hope I get some views half as decent! I'm thinking it will be Doi Inthanon for a few days, and hoping for not too much rain. If anyone has any specific must-visits (besides what is on the thaibirding page) I'd be hapy to here it!

Last edited:
Thanks all! And the videos are great, hope I get some views half as decent! I'm thinking it will be Doi Inthanon for a few days, and hoping for not too much rain. If anyone has any specific must-visits (besides what is on the thaibirding page) I'd be hapy to here it!

It is is quite rainy you may find giant earth worms to be quite common on the 34.5 km jeep track - it's worth remembering that Green Cochoas will take these as an easy meal (even coming down onto the jeep track itself).

Good luck!

. . . . on the 34.5 km jeep track

also at this time of year watch out for leeches on this well known track. Last June i had them, much to my surprise & horror, on my legs arms & stomach. I freaked and abandoned the trail a few hundred metres down - it was very damp though and the jeep track itself was really overgrown, simply brushing past vegetation and the leeches will hop onto you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back