• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did Monsieur Sonnerat do to deserve a Junglefowl of his own? (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
As I basically focus on the Etymology of the Common Bird names in Swedish I´ve only tried to understand one, just one, of the Birds commemorating Sonnerat … the other sonnerati/sonneratii Birds have completely different names in Swedish.

And as far as I understand there is little doubt that Grey Junglefowl Gallus sonneratii TEMMINCK 1813 a k a "Sonnerat's Junglefowl " commemorates the French Naturalist and traveller Pierre Sonnerat (1748*1814).

*Some sources claim he was born "…vers 1745" (about 1745) in Lyon, but all agree that he died in Paris 1814?!

This Junglefowl was described in: Temminck, J. 1813. COQ ET POULE SONNERAT. Histoire Naturelle Générale des Pigeons et des Gallinacés II : s 246-252. (attached, in this and Post #2) … and there I´m at a dead end. Since my knowledge of French is, to say the least, meager I have´nt got a clue why!?

I can only hope for anyone of you French knowing Bird Forum readers to explain what the type description says. Is there any part, or just an odd sentence, that explain how this bird came to be "his"? I Can spot his name in the first sentence on Page 246, and after that, here and there in the following six pages … but that doesn´t help me. I´m lost.

What did he do to deserve such an honour?

PS. According to Jobling (2010) the same Sonnerat is also commemorated in:
● Banded Bay Cuckoo (Penthoceryx) Cacomantis sonneratii LATHAM 1790.
● Greater Green Leafbird Chloropsis sonnerati JARDINE & SELBY 1827.
● … and the invalid "Strix sonnerati" TEMMINCK 1823 (Syn. with today's; White-browed Hawk-owl Ninox superciliaris VIEILLOT 1817).

Attachments

• den s k sonnerathönan - s.246.jpg
    den s k sonnerathönan - s.246.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 48
  • den s k sonnerathönan - s.247.jpg
    den s k sonnerathönan - s.247.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 37
  • den s k sonnerathönan - s.248.jpg
    den s k sonnerathönan - s.248.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 45
  • den s k sonnerathönan - s.249.jpg
    den s k sonnerathönan - s.249.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 39
  • den s k sonnerathönan - s.250.jpg
    den s k sonnerathönan - s.250.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Continuation of Post #1

... and the last two pages.

Attachments

• den s k sonnerathönan - s.251.jpg
    den s k sonnerathönan - s.251.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 35
  • den s k sonnerathönan - s.252.jpg
    den s k sonnerathönan - s.252.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 32
Thanks Justin, yes, I´ve seen that one, but it still don´t explain his particular connection to the Junglefowl?

The important how, when and why ... what he did to deserve this "his" Junglefowl, is still unanswered.

Anyone knows?

The first part (first two pages) of Temminck's text says roughly:
"Standing firmly by the assumption that the wild Fowl and Hen species, that he discovered in the vast and solitary forests of India, is the real type of our domestic Fowls, and particularly of the Village Fowl race, Sonnerat rejects as conjectures the opinion of Gemeli Carreri, Morella, Dampier, and Sonnini, about the existence of wild Fowls, on the islands of the Indian archipelago, as well as on the new continent; this traveller seems to pride himself someway of his discovery, as if he had found this unique species to which, according to the opinion of almost all the naturalists contemporary to him, the various races of our domestic Fowls owe their origin.
It is to support this opinion, that Sonnerat does not accept that of other travellers. I have already refuted in the "discours", this wrong assumption that naturalists have nourished up to this day, and the more detailed history that I have presented about this bird genus proves that it is composed of a quite significant number of different species, some of which we propagate in domesticity.
My intention is to prove that Sonnerat was wrong to establish the conspecificity of his wild Fowl from the Ghats and the race of Village Folws, and that he was oddly mistaken when considering this species found by him in a free state, as the true type of all the races of our domestic Fowls."​
This is followed by a detailed description of the bird, that is intended to prove it to be a different species than any domestic fowl.

Sonnerat discovered the bird in the Ghats, and publicized it as the fowl of the origins. See [here] for what he wrote, and two plates.

Last edited:
Thanks Laurent!

What should we do without your kind help!

I looked a bit further ... and I now feel pretty safe to claim:

= Pierre Sonnerat (1748–1814). Born in the French city Lyon on the 18th of August 1748, and he died in the same city the 31th of March 1814.

A more detailed account of Sonnerat's life and particularly his travels is found in: Morel, J P. 2013. Eléments biographiques sur Pierre Sonnerat
Premières années sous le regard de Pierre Poivre. (here)

That´ll do the trick!

Sonnerat ... over and out!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back