• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma macro dilemma (1 Viewer)

MoGo

Hi All,

I'm currently looking to move into macro 1:1 photography of butterflies and insects and have been trying to decide what lens to go for, I think I have decided on a second hand Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro.

However, I am a bit confused over the various acronyms that are associated with the lens. Not from the point of view of what they mean (i.e. I know HSM means Hyper Sonic Motor), but rather as to whether there are various types of Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro lenses that have different specifications. It seems that some are advertised as having IF (Inner Focus) and some are not etc.

My question is, are there various specifications for the same lens?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

I have had this lens for about 3-4 years (http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/sigma-180mm-f-3.5-ex-apo-dg-hsm-macro,-canon-fit-1?gclid=CPyVxYWUmL4CFagKwwodhJAA_w)
I bought it just before the lens was phased out in favour of the current OS (optical stabiliser) version which followed a couple of years later.

There is also at least one earlier incarnation of the lens, like the one reviewed (and loved) by Juza here:(http://www.juzaphoto.com/article.php?l=en&article=65).

As far as I know the older non-DG version is subtly different in terms of the lens coatings used. Considering that Juza judged it to be virtually identical optically to Canon's 180 L macro, I doubt that there is very much real-world difference.

A lot of the online discussion about this lens seems to centre around whether it can be used effectively without a tripod. Personally I would never consider using mine without one, but photography styles differ and some users report successful results by hand-holding.

As far as I am aware both of the older versions of the Sigma 180 macro are internal focussing, and have ring (USM or HSM) focus which means you can manually override focus whenever needed, even when AF is activated. There are some reports of flaking paint finish with older versions, but so far I have been lucky and haven't experienced this. An excellent lens that I can recommend personally; all the more so when you consider the huge price difference between used older versions and the latest model!

Last edited:
Steve,

Thanks For the info, much appreciated, the link to Juza review is helpful. I already own a Manfrotto 055 carbon fibre tripod and was planning on using this with the 410 Junior Geared head.

Mike

Mike, although not your question, but as Steve mentioned it i thought this video might be of some help. Thomas Shahan gives some great advice on macro - he doesnt even use a macro lens in this first video. ( he has more on his website ) Just reverse mount lens, ext. tube + flash, and hand held.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60

After careful consideration I have just purchased a used Sigma EX 180mm f/3.5 APO Macro DG AF lens from a well known auction site. It is in mint condition and I got it for a really good price, under £300.
I decided to go for this lens for the following reasons:
  1. The quality of the images I have seen produced with this lens
  2. The cost
  3. The focal length allows me to take 1:1 macro without disturbing the subject
  4. The focal length will make it easier to blur the background
I'm really looking forward to using it & will post pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back