• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine Falcon question (1 Viewer)

sifuz

I have a Peregrine falcon nest in my tree for the past 2 years. While I love them dearly my once thriving song bird community is now almost non-existent. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the songbirds back, should I build a cover for them for feeding, put the food under a sumac tree, etc. Any help would be great.
Thanks

I have a Peregrine falcon nest in my tree for the past 2 years. While I love them dearly my once thriving song bird community is now almost non-existent. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the songbirds back, should I build a cover for them for feeding, put the food under a sumac tree, etc. Any help would be great.
Thanks

If you've peregrines then your local bird population must be thriving.
Peregrines are hunters of wide, open spaces, not woodland.
Don't hang your feeders out in the open, hang them close to tree trunks, give the birds a chance to escape into cover if a predator makes an appearance.

On the plus side, peregrines will most certainly drive away any of the real avian predators of small passerines such as Cooper's and sharp-shinned hawks.

:hi:Welcome to Bird Forum!

Are you certain it is a Peregrine Falcon and not a Cooper's Hawk which is known to nest near dwellings?

Here is a link showing Cooper's Hawks and if you continue searching in the link you will also find Peregrine Falcons pictured along with other Raptors. Click on the link to the Raptor Identification Page at the bottom of the page to see them.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/raptors/Coopers.html

Bob

Last edited:
I doubt its a Peregrine they don't do trees for eyries, and rarely take small songbirds( no doubt there are exceptions, but pretty rare occurrence) Coopers Hawk or Sparrowhawk if you get them in the USA?

You can get feeders enclosed with wire to keep hawks from killing at the feeders, The smaller birds can squeeze through ok and should be safe... although a determined hawk will stretch a leg through and try to grab a bird !!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back