• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest version ED2 7x36 receipt (1 Viewer)

winwinbino

After 2 weeks wait, the NEW ED2 7x36 finally arrived. Box opened. The first thing ran into my mind was "They are demo ?". Was it a mistake that Charles sent me a brand new bins ?

Took them out from the carrying case. The size & weight is similar to a 42mm, which I awared beforehand & don't mind. In hand, they fit me much better than the ED3 7x43 that I once owned but sold.

Mechanically no fault. The focusser is smooth enough (not EDG's smooth) though some 1-2mm play. ZR have altered the diopter adjuster to be unlockable, but it is tight enough. Twist eyecups are very sure without fiddling.

Optically excellent. Very sharp within the sweet spot which is about 60%. The expansive FOV & relax view of 7x is really enjoyable. The color presentation is very slightly warm. One thing surpised me most is the control of CA. Practically non-detectable except near to the edge at very extreme light condition.

A brief conclusion : they are surely a keeper

I ain't optics expert and it's only a primary oridinary user report.

Thanks.
Andy

Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions of the new version of the ED2 7X36. There have been few comments on the new version and I have been curious to how it compares to the first verion that I have.

It sounds from your description that optically they are about the same and the focus mechanism appears to feel the same as mine (which is from the end of the first version run). I agree with your conclusion that they are a keeper.

When you said the box was open, do you mean it was not sealed? I have several Zen-Ray models and I do not recall any of the boxes being sealed. I suspect they get the binoculars in bulk, then place them in the box at the Oregon facility when the order is filled. Looks like they have a generic box for each product line and mark the box with a sticker that indicates the model contained in the box.

After 2 weeks wait, the NEW ED2 7x36 finally arrived. Box opened. The first thing ran into my mind was "They are demo ?". Was it a mistake that Charles sent me a brand new bins ?

Took them out from the carrying case. The size & weight is similar to a 42mm, which I awared beforehand & don't mind. In hand, they fit me much better than the ED3 7x43 that I once owned but sold.

Mechanically no fault. The focusser is smooth enough (not EDG's smooth) though some 1-2mm play. ZR have altered the diopter adjuster to be unlockable, but it is tight enough. Twist eyecups are very sure without fiddling.

Optically excellent. Very sharp within the sweet spot which is about 60%. The expansive FOV & relax view of 7x is really enjoyable. The color presentation is very slightly warm. One thing surpised me most is the control of CA. Practically non-detectable except near to the edge at very extreme light condition.

Thanks.
Andy

Andy, you probably handle more glass than a lot folk here on BF.

Expert? Don't worry about it.

Thanks for posting, Bryce...

Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions of the new version of the ED2 7X36. There have been few comments on the new version and I have been curious to how it compares to the first verion that I have.

It sounds from your description that optically they are about the same and the focus mechanism appears to feel the same as mine (which is from the end of the first version run). I agree with your conclusion that they are a keeper.

When you said the box was open, do you mean it was not sealed? I have several Zen-Ray models and I do not recall any of the boxes being sealed. I suspect they get the binoculars in bulk, then place them in the box at the Oregon facility when the order is filled. Looks like they have a generic box for each product line and mark the box with a sticker that indicates the model contained in the box.

Hi,

Excuse me for my poor English. What I meant was as soon as I opened the bins box, the first impression was they looked brand new.

I guess the latest ED2 optically have some slight improvements over the previous version. Didn't a/b compare with ED3 7x43 which already sold, but against sv8x32. They held up quite well. Personally I prefer the 7x36 more than the 7x43 not because of optically superior but they just fit me so well.

Thanks for the clarification, sorry for the confusion. I can see where I miss-read your post. I now understand that you purchased a demo unit, but upon opening the box, you were happy to see it looked like a brand new unit.

I was surprised to hear there were demos already so I went to the Zen-Ray web site. Turns out the demos are new product, but are listed as having slight box damage, thus a demo price. You did well!

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/demo/zened2-7x36.html

Actually I bought mine under the same deal a couple of years ago, I could not find the box damage. It looks like they are using the same ad copy since it says the deal ends Dec, 2012. This looks like a good opportunity to pick up a new 7X36 ED2 at a reduced price of $295 (normally $375) plus shipping.

I hope you continue to enjoy your new 7X.

I wish zen would have done a bit of an upgrade in the looks department..I agree that the optics of the 7x36 are very nice,and ergonomics too,but the armor ,color scheme and textural patterns i dislike a lot,plus is totally identical to other models ,like the hawke 8x36,and this makes it look a bit to generic .Considering that this binocular has been mentioned by many experts as one fine binocular that stands high in the array of offers of the last few years,I think it deserved an upgraded of the armor/color

I wish zen would have done a bit of an upgrade in the looks department..I agree that the optics of the 7x36 are very nice,and ergonomics too,but the armor ,color scheme and textural patterns i dislike a lot,plus is totally identical to other models ,like the hawke 8x36,and this makes it look a bit to generic .Considering that this binocular has been mentioned by many experts as one fine binocular that stands high in the array of offers of the last few years,I think it deserved an upgraded of the armor/color

Yes, they are more or less like twin brothers. For myself, the ED2 is not a real beauty but not ugly;)

Andy, thanks for posting your first impression of 7x36 ED2 binoculars. I hope that you enjoy using them for many years to come.

Charles

Andy, thanks for posting your first impression of 7x36 ED2 binoculars. I hope that you enjoy using them for many years to come.

Charles

I surely will. The ED2 7x36 just fit me so well that I could stop hunting for an Alpha 7x at this moment. The discontinued ED2 9x36 also interest me. Please PM me if you still have any old stock or demo. Even well-used is alright.

I will try my luck first for the Prime HD;)

Andy

Thanks.
Andy
I know this is a really old discussion but I thought it was worth mentioning considering the many years now since the ZenRay brand fell from grace here on this forum and how many here now want to have the ZenRay sub topic erased. I decided to go back to memory lane to refresh my memory on how much the ZenRay ED2 was so liked here. There is no particular reason why I chose wiwinbino(Andy’s) opinion back then, other than it very much mirrored my opinion also after I first received my first two pairs of the ZenRay 7x36. The first generation then the ED2. Now I see after almost 10 yrs, they have been resurrected and now being sold on Amazon. Is this a valid reason not to terminate the ZenRay topic ? I think so. Those members who were not present here when ZenRay fell from grace and who are now interested in the purchase of the ZenRay ED2 or any other version of the ZenRay Binoculars would find this topic interesting reading.

Gwen:
I found that ad you mentioned, but nothing about the seller, no price, no nothing.
It is best to stay clear.
The China clone of this binocular has been sold by many others over the years.
Jerry

Gwen:
I found that ad you mentioned, but nothing about the seller, no price, no nothing.
It is best to stay clear.
The China clone of this binocular has been sold by many others over the years.
Jerry
Yes I agree, I have pretty much stayed away from purchasing any optics from China. I took a chance when I purchased the 6x30 MS ED from Sky Rover but the purchase turned out pretty positive. We are still thinking about purchasing another pair as well as a ZenRay 7x36 from that one seller you mentioned or the other seller on Amazon. If I knew for sure that another purchase would be as positive as our recent purchase from Sky Rover, we would have a couple of Bino’s on their way to Florida right now.

I am still waiting to see what a member here (w.travis) has to say, after he receives his 7x36 ZenRay that he recently mentioned ordering from China.

I am still waiting to see what a member here (w.travis) has to say, after he receives his 7x36 ZenRay that he recently mentioned ordering from China.
It is en route. I spoke with the seller on WhatsApp. I asked if these are a new production or old that were never sold. They stated they are old products that were never sold.

I found the website you can buy direct from for under $200. However, I chose Amazon for ease of return if necessary.

I am curious though... There are 2 different options of buying from Amazon. One link list the product as Zen-Ray ED2, the other just looks exactly like it, but blurs out the Zen-Ray logos. I purchased the one listed as Zen-Ray.

https://www.amazon.com/7x36-Binoculars-Dielectric-Prism-Coating/dp/B007PW7T6Y/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=7x36+binoculars&qid=1687472244&sprefix=7x36,aps,124&sr=8-5

I guess some have $200 to burn, so if anything goes wrong in say 3 months, well back to the landfill.
I have sent my share of Money to the land fills over my lifetime even when I did not have much to burn but W.Travis could receive a good specimen. I guess we will have to wait an see.

I know sometimes we get good samples -The Bushnell Legend M comes to mind, however I have had more than my share of problems with discounted Chinese glass.
Hope you get a good sample.

So after 2 weeks of waiting on shipment, I ended up receiving the wrong item... I'm not sure how I felt about it, honest mistake? scam?... I decided to get a refund. I may decide to try again at some point.

I really want a wide FOV 7x bino, my old Zen ED2 were exactly what I want now... Wish I never sold them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back