• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why Chevalier? (1 Viewer)

clongwor

I was amusing myself on a rainy day by changing the setting on my BirdsEye app from English to French.

I wonder if anyone knows why some of the tringa sandpipers are called "chevalier." It's very romantic and gives me an entirely new outlook on the Willet.

Thanks!

I don't know, but the Dutch name for most birds in the genus Tringa ("ruiter") has the same meaning (could well be a translation).
Possibly (I've found this as an explanation) their long legs gave the impression of a knight on a horse.

"Le Chevalier est le guerrier noble qui combat à cheval. Le terme se rapporte à l'allure générale "haut sur pattes" ou "haut perché" par rapport aux autres oiseaux de la famille. Belon [1555] les décrit comme des "oysillons haut encruchés sur les jambes, quasi comme étant à cheval". Le plumage nuptial du combattant [Philomachus] qui le pare d'une fraise autour du cou a sans doute eu aussi une certaine influence dans l'apparition de ce terme." (P. Cabard & B. Chauvet, 2003, L'Étymologie des Noms d'Oiseaux, nouv. éd., p. 178).

"Le Chevalier est le guerrier noble qui combat à cheval. Le terme se rapporte à l'allure générale "haut sur pattes" ou "haut perché" par rapport aux autres oiseaux de la famille. Belon [1555] les décrit comme des "oysillons haut encruchés sur les jambes, quasi comme étant à cheval". Le plumage nuptial du combattant [Philomachus] qui le pare d'une fraise autour du cou a sans doute eu aussi une certaine influence dans l'apparition de ce terme." (P. Cabard & B. Chauvet, 2003, L'Étymologie des Noms d'Oiseaux, nouv. éd., p. 178).
Thank you, James,

The other replier mentioned the similarity to the rider on a horse, while your reply also includes the added idea of the bird looking like a horse too. After I read both replies and looked at images of the birds, especially when they were walking and lifting their legs up, they did kind of look knightly.

I don't know, but the Dutch name for most birds in the genus Tringa ("ruiter") has the same meaning (could well be a translation).
Possibly (I've found this as an explanation) their long legs gave the impression of a knight on a horse.
Thanks,
It's interesting that it's the same in Dutch. I also think the bill looks like a knight's lance. I will pay more attention to these birds in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back