• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon - EOS350D (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have just seen that there is a new Canon dslr on the way - due out next month. What I've read so far says it's going to be a 8mp camera, smaller and lighter than the 300d. Continuous shooting listed at 3 frames per second for 14 shots, a real improvement on the 300d. Price listed at 3749 body only, or £799 with 18-55 lens. Might change my thinking on which dslr to go for once I've saved up...

You can see all about it on warehouseexpress... http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.cfm?news/pma2005.html then click on 'Canon EOS 350D'.

See also here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=28129

Seems a better bet than the 300D was to the 10D but I'm not sure that making it smaller will help when it's teamed-up with a telephoto lens

The sensor is not the same as the 20D, apparently, having 8/8.2 Mp as against 8.2/8.5

Might be worth waiting for a few thorough test-reports and also the price will drop after the first rush-to-buy!

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff. Bought a 300D last spring and had been saving my pennies and trying to decide whether to buy a bird lens or a 20D. Now I have seen what can be done I'll wait and see what a "30D" looks like, as I could do with much faster responses (AF and image storage) and a smaller size. No comments in the reviews I have seen on whether DIGIC II gives the 350D the image storage speed of the 20D, but the reduced fps and buffer size suggests not. Trying to work things like the flash exposure lock on the 300D is a real stretch. especially in portrait format. However, I realize that much of the size reduction comes from halving the size of the battery. That would mean spare batteries, whereas just now I can manage.

Still, first priority should be a decent tripod :)

Mike.

I am thinking to change from fixed lens to slr and maybe the new Canon eos 350D.
If anyone knows about the scopetronix maxview dslr for use in a Swarovsky and in a celestron c8 (a eypiece photography projection mode).I make astrophotography (moon, soon,planets) and in a major part birds. The Swarovsky At 80 makes a very small backfocus but Scopetronix uses a lens to compensate this problem I think. Whith the Celestron the use in terrestrial photography whithout one erecting prism is a problem.

José

I see that with this camera almost here the price is already dropping - warehouse are now offering it at £649 body only or £699 with lens - that's already £100 less than originally stated and it's not even launched yet.
I'm almost decided on this camera now, so just need to start sellng off some of my record collection to raise enoughg cash to buy it a a few decent lenses....

postcardcv said:
I see that with this camera almost here the price is already dropping - warehouse are now offering it at £649 body only or £699 with lens - that's already £100 less than originally stated and it's not even launched yet.
I'm almost decided on this camera now, so just need to start sellng off some of my record collection to raise enoughg cash to buy it a a few decent lenses....
I'm sure that someone using the new 350D posted a shot in the gallery yesterday.

Canon D350

Hi there,
For a little bit more, if you look around, you could get the 20D which is a much much better camera. Most shops, including Jessops, will match internet prices
Some of the result on BF with the 20D have been extremely good.
The 300/350 have plastic type bodies 'yuck'

Cheers,

madmike

madmike said:
Hi there,
For a little bit more, if you look around, you could get the 20D which is a much much better camera. Most shops, including Jessops, will match internet prices

Cheers,

madmike

What sor of price can you get the 20D for? It's certainly a better looking camera, but the best price I've seen would put it at about £950 which will be out of my range...

Hi postcard!

The best price here is 1189 EUR (http://www.preissuchmaschine.de), what is 822.396 GBP. And its really worth the price!

I can really NOT recommend the 20D!!!

I sold my 300D this autumn and the 350D is not much better: still SLOOOOW. You will have a lot of 'lost moments' with them, for shure!

degen

madmike said:
Hi there,

Cheers,

madmike

Totally agree and I'll be keeping my 10D until the 20D gets replaced.

The 30 or 350D aren't in the same league and as they say........you'll only cry once with that sort of camera.

I can recommend another very good site in respect of prices..... take a look at www.tweakers.net then go to the section entitled PriceWatch then choose Digital Cameras and you have all the prices at your finger tips!

The current cheapest price for the 350D including 18-55mm lens (kit) costs Euro 849 which is inclusive of VAT. Our German neighbours are even advertising it for Euro 824. Am surprized that the new model is being marketed at such a low level as opposed to when the 300D was introduced.

If I'm not mistaken the website database also caters for the United Kingdom (Verenigd Koninkrijk) but nobody has made any entries as yet. Perhaps an idea to do so but you are required to register first in order to make any entries. Registration is free. Any registered person is permitted to indicate prices as observed.

This site is for the real bargain hunters! Highly recommended!

Good luck!

Herman

Last edited:
The 300d may have a "yuk" plastic body,but it is a great little slr.I find it takes better bird pics with the 100-400 lens than the 20d,but the latter takes better landscape pics.The 300d is not to be passed off.What difference does the body work make.If you dropped the cam,would not make much difference.

Well I have finally seen and played with the new 350D... and I was somewhat unimpressed.
I know that a big deal has been made about it being the smallest, lightest dslr available. Having handled one today I'm not sure that this is a very good thing, when holding it to take a pic I found that my little finger kept slipping from the grip to the underside of the camera. The camera soon became uncomfortable to hold, that's after about 5-10 mins with it.
The body is very plastic, I know that the 300d is also plastic, but it does feel a lot better than the 350d. The weight seemed like it would also be an issue, even with the 18-55 lens that comes with it it seemed a touch lens heavy, so no doubt with a telephoto on the front this would be much worse. The burst photography did seem noticeably better than the 300d, a bit faster and a much better buffer.
The retailer also had pic taken on the 300d and the 350d both printed at A3 size and to be honest I could not see the difference in quality. I know it must be there as there is a 2mp difference but personally I think if I can print to A3 I won't be needing any more. I am sure for pro (though clearly that isn't the cameras target market) use 6mp would not do, but for personal use it's more than enough.
The viewfinder on the 350d seemed very small, I'm not sure if it is smaller than the 300d's or not, but it certainly seemed so.
I know that if I'd had more time to play with it then I would have been able to investigate the menus and setting as see if there was a big improvement there. However for me the fact that it didn't feel right in the hand is just to big an issue to ignore.
So having finally played with the 350d, which I've been saving up for since I heard about it's release (some of the record collection has been sold to allow me to buy one), I was so unimpressed that I've decided to save myself £150+ and go for the 300d instead. Well when I say save £150+ I really mean use it to start saving for a half decent telephoto.
My advice to anyone thinking of ordering one of these cameras would be to make sure you've tried one first. Others no doubt will find it comfortable to use, but I (and the two friends I was shopping with) certainly didn't.

Last edited:
postcardcv said:
What sor of price can you get the 20D for? It's certainly a better looking camera, but the best price I've seen would put it at about £950 which will be out of my range...
I picked mine up on ebay from a seller here for £830 nearly 2 months ago, just to be sure I even went to collect as I am fortunate to get free fuel from my company!!! so no postage :bounce: sure the 20D must be available even cheaper now!

I agree the 300D does feel nice in the hand a factor which made me buy it 18 months ago. I was concerned that the 350D would be too small and it seems that you have confirmed it postcardcv. So I will stick with my original decision to upgrade to a 20D.
I did see a report on a site that said if your using longer lens the 20D is a better choice over the 350D.

Thanks for you feedback

Robert

My assesment of the 350d was only comparing it to the 300d, as the 20d is out of my budget. All I have seen and heard about the 20d makes me sure it's a better camera than either the 300 or 350, however as the 300 is now under £500 in most shops it is incrediblely good value. For the price of a 20d I should be able to get a 300d and a reasonably good sigma telephoto lens.

Have just read that the 350d is going to replace both the 20d and 300d.So there should be 300d's going for bargain prices.The 300 is a good cam,why Canon produce these cameras,then discontinue is really confusing.I like my 300d and would not change it.Not sure re the 20d though.It is better for landscape pics than the 300d.

christineredgate said:
Have just read that the 350d is going to replace both the 20d and 300d.

Christine do you have a link for that ?

Yes the 300D has given me much pleasure over the past 18 months.

The lower noise and faster processor are the factors that movitate me to upgrade. I would jump at the 350D as it does 95% of what I am after.

I suspect the smaller and lighter body was to keep infront of Nikon on the sales front. From my point of view I would of been happy if they put the 350D in a 300D body. I have small hands and I don't find the 300D too big.

Lets face it - if your into SLR then you have to make the decision to lug around the size and weight compared to a compact that you can slip into your top pocket. So what's difference does 1/2 inch and a few onces make ?

From what I can see the 1/2 inch has been mainly taken off the grip.

Otherwise your looking at buying the battery pack come grip to get a bigger camera - defeats the object.

Robert

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back