• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aglaiocercus kingii margarethae (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I think in HWB Alive the following is wrong.

* Margarete Heine (fl. 1840) wife of German ornithologist Ferdinand Heine, Sr. (subsp. Aglaiocercus kingi, subsp. Tanysiptera galatea)

First the author of Aglaiocercus kingii margarethae was Ferdinand Heine junior Aglaiocercus kingii margarethae p. 213-214. His dedication was to his sister (sorori p.214). According Museum Heineanum Geschichte und Bedeutung ISSN 0947-1057 Ferdinand Heine, Sr. (1909-1894) was married with Julie Ernst (1823-1878). Ferdinand Heine, Sr. never published any ornithological book or other work. Both gave birth to eight children. Ferdinand Heine junior (1840-1920), Ernst (1842-1922), Albrecht (1844-1915), Margarethe (1847-1932), Wilhelm (1850-1921), Georg (1854-1924), Julie (1856-1874), Marie (1862-1871). I assume Tanysiptera galatea margarethae is as well for his sister.

From above HWB Alive might be for his other sister or his mother.

Last edited:
"Duo quae descripsi maria musei Berolinensis specimina e Venezuelae provincia Carraccensi allata Margarethae Heineae dicavi sorori dilectissimae virgini et Alcedinidarum et Trochilidarum amantissimae."
"I dedicated the two male exemplars of the Berlin Museum brought from the Caracas province of Venezuela, which I described, to [my] sister Margarethe Heine, beloved girl and great lover of kingfishers and hummingbirds."
Agreed.

I assume Tanysiptera galatea margarethae is as well for his sister.
...which would mean that he dedicated her a kingfisher and a hummingbird. This makes sense, given the dedication above. ;)

Last edited:
Well found "Taphrospilus" and Laurent!

Neither to be confused with the women behind:

● Boulton's Batis Batis margaritae BOULTON 1934: "I have always thought of the genus BATIS as being essentially feminine in character and I therefore name this species after Margaret Pulitzer (Mrs. Ralph Pulitzer)" a k a "Boulton’s Puff-back Flycatcher" or "Margaret’s Batis"
= the US Historian and Author Margaret Pulitzer (1893–1974) born Margaret Kernochan Leech – wife of Ralph Pulitzer (1879–1939), Patron of the Pulitzer Angola Expedition 1930–31, during which this species was discovered.

nor

● Pearly-breasted Conebill (Ateleodacnis) Conirostrum margaritae HOLT 1931: ”This exquisite but modest bird is dedicated as a very paltry though peculiarly fitting tribute to one who, steadfastly refusing all credit, has long borne the full brunt of my ornithological activities―Margaret Lander Holt, my wife.”
= the almost totally unknown Margaret Lander Holt (probably born 1894-xxxx), wife of the US ornithologist Ernest Golson Holt (1889–1963).

… or any other Margaret, Margarete, Margarethe, Margareta or Margaretta commemorated in other Birds.

PS: Unfortunately I have no further info regarding the margarethae hummingbird, ditto kingfisher or this sister "Margarethe (1847-1932)" . None of them are present in my list of Swedish Common Bird names. Sorry. But good work finding her!

Last edited:
Many thanks, Taphrospilus, Laurent and Björn, for your detective work. You will see that I have edited the HBW Alive Key accordingly.
The Key is open to all readers, so I want to make it as accurate as possible. I am currently editing the Key to ensure that each entry can now stand alone, so would appreciate feedback and notice of any updates, factual errors, further information, or missing entries. Due acknowledgement will be given (however, note the final sentence of the Acknowledgements!)

... Ferdinand Heine, Sr. (1909-1894) was married with Julie Ernst (1823-1878). Ferdinand Heine, Sr. never published any ornithological book or other work. Both gave birth to eight children. Ferdinand Heine junior (1840-1920), Ernst (1842-1922), Albrecht (1844-1915), Margarethe (1847-1932), Wilhelm (1850-1921), Georg (1854-1924), Julie (1856-1874), Marie (1862-1871). I assume Tanysiptera galatea margarethae is as well for his sister.

From above HWB Alive might be for his other sister or his mother.

An even more detailed accound of Ferdinand Heine "junior" [i. e. Jakob Gottlieb Ferdinand Heine (9 Oktober 1840 – 12 February 1920)], his Parents, Siblings, Brothers- alt. Sisters-in-laws and the rest of his family is found on Deutsche biographie. See link (here):

● Boulton's Batis Batis margaritae BOULTON 1934: "I have always thought of the genus BATIS as being essentially feminine in character and I therefore name this species after Margaret Pulitzer (Mrs. Ralph Pulitzer)" a k a "Boulton’s Puff-back Flycatcher" or "Margaret’s Batis"
= the US Historian and Author Margaret Pulitzer (1893–1974) born Margaret Kernochan Leech – wife of Ralph Pulitzer (1879–1939), Patron of the Pulitzer Angola Expedition 1930–31, during which this species was discovered.

Then this Wikipedia-article Margaret's/Boulton's Batis is dead wrong?

Then this Wikipedia-article Margaret's/Boulton's Batis is dead wrong?
Yes, that it is (Jäpp, så är det) ;) ... OD, here.

I´ll continue in English; If you look at the List of references on that Wikipage you´ll see that it´s based on the (as well, quite often erroneous) The Eponym Dictionary of Birds (2014). That book, like Wikipedia, however great, is not to be trusted in details as the single source of information, but both are great in giving context and clues to dig further.

Björn

PS. The wife of Wolfrid Rudyerd Boulton, Jr. (1901–1983) seems to be Laura Theresa Boulton (1899–1980), née Craytor. They apparently married in 1925. Either way; if the Author of of The Eponym Dictionary of Birds had bothered to read the OD (which is unusually clear) we wouldn´t have this doubt. Nothing but lazy. The Journal Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington isn´t hard to find.
--

Last edited:
Same, same but different in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds (but still the sister of Jr. and daughter of Sr.)
Long-tailed Sylph ssp. Aglaiocercus kingii margarethae Heine, 1863
Margaret Heine (fl.1840) was the wife of German ornithologist Ferdinand Heine Sr (q.v.).

PS. The wife of Wolfrid Rudyerd Boulton, Jr. (1901–1983) seems to be Laura Theresa Boulton (1899–1980), née Craytor. They apparently married in 1925. Either way; if the Author of of The Eponym Dictionary of Birds had bothered to read the OD (which is unusually clear) we wouldn´t have this doubt. Nothing but lazy. The Journal Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington isn´t hard to find.
--

This is what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds wrongly claims:
Margaret's Batis Batis margaritae Boulton, 1934 [Alt. Boulton's Batis, Boulton's Puffback Flycatcher]
Margaret Hall Boulton née Lander (DNF) was the first wife of the American ornithologist Wolfrid Rudyerd Boulton. She had previously been married to ornithologist Ernest G. Holt (q.v.).

But Conirostrum margaritae (Holt, 1931) OD here not in Eponym Dictionary of birds

This exquisite but modest bird is dedicated as a very paltry though peculiarly fitting tribute to one who, steadfastly refusing all credit, has long borne the full brunt of my ornithological activities-- Margaret Lander Holt, my wife.

The Key to Scientific Names

Margaret Hall Holt née Lander (b. 1894) wife of US ornithologist Ernest G. Holt (Conirostrum).

Her life dates might need to be explored.

Last edited:
Margaret Hall Lander
Birth3 Nov 1894 Juiz de Fora, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Marriage9 May 1922 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Residence1975 Honolulu, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Death24 Jun 1982 Montgomery, Montgomery, Alabama, USA
FatherJohn McPherson Lander (1858-1924)
MotherSallie Thompson Hall (1862-1951)
SpouseErnest Golsan Holt (1889-1984)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back