• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Wales Trip (1 Viewer)

gary jb

On Sunday 6 March,Im spending 4 days in a caravan in Talacre,right on the door step of Point of Ayr.I will also be trying to visit Conway rspb,the Great Orme,Greenfields Valley,Llanfairfechan,Pensarn,Gronant and Flint.Has anyone got anymore sites that may be worth a visit.I will not be traveling as far as Angelsey.Plus,any info on the birds that i may see or are already there(long stayers).I would also like to see the Hawfinch at Caerhun churchyard(any directions will be greatfully recived).

Thanks.

Gary.......

Well the Mercury business park or whatever it's called at Kinmel would be worth a look for the Richard's Pipit.

There is an article on the Caerhun and nearby Hawfinches in the current North West Birding magazine which would be invaluable.

Stephen.

Llanbedr-y-Cennin, not far from Caerhun, is a much better site for Hawfinch than Caerhun itself these days.

Take the B5106 from Conwy towards Llanrwst. You pass Caerhun (if you want to check the churchyard there it is a turning on the left, with a small signpost for the church). A mile or so further on there is a pub called "Y Bedol" on the right; turn right here and go up the hill to the village of Llanbedr-y-Cennin. Turn right again opposite the next pub for the church. Check the tall trees around the church and elsewhere in the village for Hawfinches. 4-8 birds have been showing regularly here in recent weeks.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Well the Mercury business park or whatever it's called at Kinmel would be worth a look for the Richard's Pipit.

There is an article on the Caerhun and nearby Hawfinches in the current North West Birding magazine which would be invaluable.

Stephen.
I don't think the Richard's has been seen for a while, I was away last week, but certainly I haven't seen it during the 2 weeks preceding that and I am usually found lurking in that area most afternoons of late photographing the SEO's which still display well most days, though I think we are down to 4 now! Also if you are staying at Talacre, keep an eye on the beach, there has been a pair of peregrines recently regularly seen taking the gulls. I am also led to believe from a reliable source that there are a pair of peregrines that nest at Connah's Quay Power station, or at least have done for the last few years.

stuartlawrie said:
I don't think the Richard's has been seen for a while, I was away last week, but certainly I haven't seen it during the 2 weeks preceding that

Stuart,

Erm, reported Friday,Saturday and today according to Birdguides hence my post!

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Stuart,

Erm, reported Friday,Saturday and today according to Birdguides hence my post!

Stephen.

Not really a twitcher ;) so don't do the birdguides stuff, can only go off own sightings etc. as i said was away all last week till friday night, certainly wasn't seen the two weeks prior to this so assumed moved on, checked it out twice this Saturday no sign, nor had any of the birders I met there but will give the area a through check out today for it

Hi Jane,Stephen,Geoff,Rhion and Stuart,thanks for the information.Adrian,a cracking little site,it will help me a lot on my trips from Sunday.

Thank you all.

Gary........

World's End, near Wrexham, for Black Grouse, possible Crossbill & Hen Harrier and it isn't too far from where you are staying.

Llangollen Bridge for a virtually guaranteed pair of Dipper and there were quite a few Goosander from this bridge the other week.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back