• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some additional etymological information – Part III (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a third list of some small additional information regarding the Etymology of ten various Bird Names that I´ve happened to stumble upon trying to understand various Swedish Bird Names … for your sake (as well as I can?) in English.

As far as I understand the following birds commemorate the following … :

No. 1 – raggiana in …
● Raggiana Bird-of-paradise (Paradisea) Paradisaea raggiana D’ALBERTIS 1873 a k a " Raggi's –" or "Count Raggi's Bird-of-paradise"
= the fairly unknown Italian Aristocrat Marquis (Marchese) Francesco Raggi (1807–1887), from Genua, Italy – of the today vanished Noble Family of Raggi.

This bird of paradise was collected by d’Albertis himself on New Guinea and the exact reason why he named it after Marquis Raggi seems to be clouded.

No. 2 – ripponi in …
● the subspecies Lophura nycthemera ripponi SHARPE 1902 a k a (most often in aviculture) "Rippon's Silver Pheasant"
= the fairly unknown British military officer (Lieutenant, Major, Lieutenant-Colonel and later Colonel) George (C.?) Rippon (1861–1926), of the British-Indian Army (Indian Staff Corps) 1880–1912, who sent more than 3000 bird skins, from India, to British Museum (today's NHM).

After his retirement in 1812 he settled down in Burma (Myanmar), but returned to England (and his Duty) when World War I started, and retired (again) when it ended. The remaining years of his life he spent in a little cottage outside the coastal village of Lymington, Hampshire.

No. 3 – spillmanni in …
● Spillmann’s Tapaculo Scytalopus spillmanni STRESEMANN 1937 a k a "Spillman’s Tapaculo"
= the (at least among ornithologist's) fairly unknown Austrian Naturalist; zoologist, paleontologist, archaeologist , as well as geologist, collector, Doctor and Professor Franz Spillmann (1901–1988), a name quite well-known among Ecuadorian or Peruvian naturalist or European paleontologist's.

This Franz Spillman was born the 1st of January 1901 in Scharnstein-Viechtwang, Oberösterreich, Austria. After finishing his studies in Vienna, he followed his Father Alois Spillmann to Ecuador in 1925, and spent the next 17 years in Ecuador and Peru, collecting and excavating, as well as Curator of the natural department at the university Universidad Central de Quito Museo, in Quito, Ecuador and professor of both the university Universidad Nacional Mayor and the Natural history Museum Museo de Historia Natural, in Lima Peru, until 1942 when he returned to Austria. There he was put in charge of the Paleontology collections of the Landesmuseum in Linz, Oberösterreich (1942-1947), during this time (unless apparently also being accused of dodging his Military duty for the Third Reich, but he was cleared) getting a Doctors degree in Vienna 1943 as well as Professor (again) in Lima, Peru (1948-1962), ending his professional career in Landesmuseum Vienna (1964-1966), specializing in fossil Mammals. Franz Spillmann died on the 6th of June 1988 – having, he himself, discovered at least 43 extinct, prehistoric animals; like elephants, dogs and even some long-gone birds.

There seem to be no over-all consensus of how to spell this specie's name today, compare, for example; Avibase with IBC/HBW. Both leaving marks, and confusion, all over, both in books and articles, but most of all on the internet … of how to spell the name of Franz Spillmann.

No. 4 – grinnelli in …
● the prehistoric, fossil species Grinnell’s Crested Eagle Spizaetus grinnelli MILLER 1911 as "Geranoaëtus grinnelli": "This species is named after Mr. Joseph Grinnell, Curator of the California Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, and one of the foremost students of the distribution of American birds."
= the US field biologist and zoologist, evolutionary biologist, curator and Director of Museum of Vertebrate Zoology (MVZ) in Berkeley, California; Joseph Grinnell (1877–1939). More on him, see this link (here)

No. 5 – bullockii in …
● Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii SWAINSON1827 : ”…the honour of these discoveries to Mr. Bullock and his son”.
= both; the British wealthy Jeweler (at the beginning), successful Museologist, bankrupt showman, indefatigable entrepreneur, zealous traveler, untiring collector (of everything spectacular), hopeful Gold Miner and visionary "Madcap"; William Bullock (circa 1773–1849) & his son; the almost totally forgotten Artist, explorer and collector William Bullock jr. (xxxx-xxxx), who for a couple of years was in charge of his father's Gold Mine in Mexico and thereafter collected Naturalia (among other stuff) in the same country, during most of the 1820's (together with, for example; the German collector Ferdinand Deppe).

Also see earlier Bullock thread on our sister Forum Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature

No. 6 – burchelli
/burchellii in … at least:
● Burchell's Starling Lamprotornis australis SMITH 1836 a k a "Burchell's Glossy Starling" or "Burchell's Greater Glossy Starling"
● Burchell's Courser Cursorius rufus GOULD 1837
● Burchell's Coucal Centropus (superciliosus) burchellii SWAINSON 1838 a k a "Burchell's White-browed Coucal "
● Burchell's Sandgrouse Pterocles burchelli SCLATER 1922
= the British naturalist, artist, collector and explorer William John Burchell (1781–1863), that started to explore around Cape Town South Africa in 1810, and thereafter on a longer Expedition 1811–1815 to large parts of Southern Africa … and so on.

No. 7 – chiriquensis in …
● Rufous-breasted Quail-dove Geotrygon chiriquensis SCLATER 1856 a k a "Chiriqui Quail-dove"
= either the Province Chiriquí or the vulcano with the same name. Both mentioned (as; ”…the Province Chiquiri” and ”… the volcano of Chiquiri”) in the type description without pointing out either one.

No. 8 – cooperi in …
● Pacific Screech-owl (Scops/Otus) Megascops cooperi RIDGWAY 1878 a k a "Cooper's Screech Owl" with a clear dedication: ”I have named this species at the request of Mr. Zeledon, the collector of the type-specimens, after Mr. Juan Cooper, of Cartago, Costa Rica, a particular friend of his, to whom he is much indebted for many interesting contributions to his collection.”
= the almost totally unknown local collector Juan J. Cooper (xxxxxxxx), that collected both birds and plants, as well as reptiles and mammals, in Costa Rica – for the same José Zeledon.

No. 9 – crossleyi in …
● Crossley's Ground-thrush (Turdus) Zoothera crossleyi SHARPE 1871 a k a "Crossley's Orange Ground-Thrush" or just "Crossley's Thrush"
● Rufous-headed Ground-roller Atelornis crossleyi SHARPE 1875 a k a "Crossley’s Ground-roller"
= the almost totally unknown British collector and taxidermist Alfred Crossley (probably 1829?1888?), who collected flowers, snakes and butterflies, etc. etc. on Madagascar during 1869–1870 and in Cameroon 1871. After that he probably went to Rhodesia (today's Zimbabwe and Zambia) and thereafter maybe back to Madagascar again …

No. 10 – deckeni in …
● Von der Decken's Hornbill Tockus deckeni CABANIS 1868/1869 (years varies) a k a "Decken's Hornbill"
= the German Noble, explorer and collector Baron Carl Claus von der Decken (1833–1865).

And, just for the fun of it … (attached) a photo of the latter: Baron von der Decken.

Anyone of a different view?

Björn Bergenholtz, Stockholm, Sweden

PS. Don´t hesitate to prove me wrong. Any additional info regarding these etymologies are warmly welcomed! And; if I you feel like adding something, please clearly state which one you are commenting on … just to avoid confusion.

Attachments

• Carl Claus von der Decken.jpg
    Carl Claus von der Decken.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
No. 1 – raggiana in …
● Raggiana Bird-of-paradise (Paradisea) Paradisaea raggiana D’ALBERTIS 1873 a k a " Raggi's –" or "Count Raggi's Bird-of-paradise"
= the fairly unknown Italian Aristocrat Marquis (Marchese) Francesco Raggi (1807–1887), from Genua, Italy – of the today vanished Noble Family of Raggi.

This bird of paradise was collected by d’Albertis himself on New Guinea and the exact reason why he named it after Marquis Raggi seems to be clouded.
This bird was collected by d'Albertis, but the author of the name is, actually, Sclater. (See the OD: d'Albertis sent notes and skins to Sclater, requesting that this bird, should it represent a new species, be named after Raggi, "a great lover of natural history, and especially of ornithology"; Sclater published an English translation of these notes, adding the name (in square brackets, indicating it was not part of the original), and a descriptive footnote.)

What happened to the English names of this bird...? ;) "Count Raggi's" seems wrong, as Raggi was indeed a Marchese; it's d'Albertis who was a Conte. But "Raggiana"...? A latinized adjective (raggianus = "Raggian", pertaining to Raggi), inflected as to agree in gender with the feminine genus name Paradisaea, placed as such in apposition to a gender-less English noun? Or do I miss something?

No. 4 – grinnelli in …
● the prehistoric, fossil species Grinnell’s Crested Eagle Spizaetus grinnelli MILLER 1911 as "Geranoaëtus grinnelli": "This species is named after Mr. Joseph Grinnell, Curator of the California Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, and one of the foremost students of the distribution of American birds."
= the US field biologist and zoologist, evolutionary biologist, curator and Director of Museum of Vertebrate Zoology (MVZ) in Berkeley, California; Joseph Grinnell (1877–1939). More on him, see this link (here)

Also a Pleistocene race of Polyborus prelutosus Howard, 1938 (Hildegarde Howard, 1938: The Rancho La Brea Caracara: A New Species: Carnegie Institution of Washington Publication, Contributions to Paleontology 487: 217-240) is named after Grinnell:

Polyborus prelutosus grinnelli Howard, 1940 (Hildegarde Howard, 1940: A New Race of Caracara from the Pleistocene of Mexico: The Condor 42: 41-44)
pdf: https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/condor/v042n01/p0041-p0044.pdf

Fred Ruhe

Or do I miss something?
Laurent, I don´t think your missing anything ;), Philpip Lutley Sclater was surely the one who coined the scientific name, Conte d’Albertis was the one describing the bird (his notes was translated by Dr. G. Bennett, Sydney, Australia), see introduction of the same article (here):
The mutilated skins of this bird resemble those of the Red Paradise-bird of Waigiou, but differs in some particulars. I [d’Albertis] procured them at Orangeisa Bay, where P. papuana and P. apoda are not known to the natives, judging by their sursprise when I exhibited some skins of those species. Should the present bird prove to be new, I should wish it to be named after the Marquis Francis Raggi, a great lover of natural history, and especially of ornithology.”
So it might be me misunderstanding how it ought to be written: Raggiana Bird-of-paradise (Paradisea) Paradisaea raggiana SCLATER (alt. SCLATER & D’ALBERTIS) 1873.

Even if Sclater coined the somewhat "odd" name raggiana (instead of the more traditional "raggii") I think the commemoration still remain: the fairly unknown Italian Aristocrat Marquis (Marchese) Francesco Raggi (1807–1887) … don´t you?

The reason why I wrote "… the exact reason why he (i. e. d'Albertis, via Sclater) named it after Marquis Raggi seems to be clouded" is that I haven´t been able to find any clear connection (more than the above) between Raggi and exactly this particular bird, why d'Albertis thought he deserved such an honour on that certain one.

Last edited:
Technically, what d'Albertis wrote about this bird is not a description--the notes just state where the bird was obtained, and that, while similar to another, known species, it "differs in some particulars". A description is supposed to explain in which characters the new taxon differs from other already known taxa, not just state that differences exist. The description here is Sclater's footnote.

The dedication is clear and explicit. (And from this dedication, the way the name was constructed can easily and unambiguously be deduced. Which makes its English name all the odder...)

Salvadori & d'Albertis, 1875:
Questa specie era nota finora soltanto per due pelli mutilate, che il D'Albertis ebbe nella Baja Orangerie. Egli la riconobbe per nuova e propose che fosse chiamata col nome del Marchese Francesco Raggi di Genova, suo amico, per cui col nome di P. raggiana fu descritta dallo Sclater,[...]
"This species was hitherto known only by two mutilated skins, which D'Albertis obtained at the Orangerie Bay. He recognized it as new and proposed that it be called with the name of the Marquis Francesco Raggi of Genoa, his friend, for whom it was described by Sclater under the name of P. raggiana, [...]"

Last edited:
Laurent, yet another great reply!

Technically, what d'Albertis wrote about this bird is not a description-- [...]

"This species was hitherto known only by two mutilated sins, which D'Albertis obtained at the Orangerie Bay. He recognized it as new and proposed that it be called with the name of the Marquis Francesco Raggi of Genoa, his friend, for whom it was described by Sclater under the name of P. raggiana, [...]"
Thanks for explaining! Now I know how to write it! They were simply "friends"!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Indeed. You are right to emphasise there may have been more to the friendship.
Welcome to Bird Forum "REJames",

I think you misinterpreted me (maybe easy to do, as English isn´t my mother tongue), but I didn´t intend to "emphasise" anything. I´ve seen no indication that Raggi and d'Albertis were lovers. And even if so, rainbow issues are, in my MS, a bit off topic.

In my world they are all simply "bird lovers". ;)
---

Last edited:
William Bullock Senior & Junior

Sorry to re-open this old thread, but I feel I ought to be stubborn on this one!

Regarding the recently debated [in the Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature Forum, thread Bullock's Oriole, here]:

Icterus bullockii/("bullockorum")/bullockiorum ... also see my Post #1 (No. 5 – bullockii) in this thread ... [OD here]

In today's HBW Alive Key we find:

bulocki
William Bullock (?1775-1849) English naturalist, traveller, entrepreneur (Merops (ex “Guêpier à gorge rouge” or “Guêpier Bulock” of Levaillant 1807)).
bullocki
Dr Dillman Samuel Lytle Bullock (1878-1971) US missionary to Chile 1902-1912, agronomist, Director of El Vergel Agricultural School, Argol 1924-1971 (subsp. Aphrastura spinicauda).
bullockii
● William Bullock, Sr. (?1775-1849) English naturalist, traveller, entrepreneur, and his son William Bullock, Jr. (fl. 1826) mine agent, artist, collector in Mexico (syn. Calocitta formosa (ex Pica formosa Swainson, 1827, “A Synopsis of the Birds discovered in Mexico by W. Bullock, F.L.S. and H.S., and Mr William Bullock, jun.”), Icterus).
● William Bullock, Sr. (?1775-1849) English naturalist, traveller, entrepreneur (syn. Cymochorea leucorhoa).
bullockiorum
"Species was explicitly named to honour both father and son Bullock, so original, singular spelling requires emendation to current plural form" (del Hoyo & Collar 2016) (syn. Icterus bullockii). I believe the jury is still out on this one!
bullockoides
Specific name Merops bullockii A. Smith, 1834 (= syn. Merops bulocki); Gr. -οιδης -oidēs resembling (Merops).
According to Edward P. Alexander and his very thourough paper (it´s 30-pages-long, full of details, fun oddities and curious facts!): William Bullock: Little-Remembered Museologist and Showman, published in the Curator (Quarterly publication of the American Museum of Natural History), vol. 28 (No. 2): pp. 117-147 (1985):
"William Bullock [senior] (c.1773-1849) ...
[...]
"We know nothing of William Bullock's Parents or his early circumstances. We do know that he had at least three brothers – ...
[...]
William Bullock died at Halsey Terrace, Chelsea, on March 7, 1849, at the age 76
[i.e. according to his "Death Certificate (Ms). Register of Deaths, St. Luke's, Chelsea, General Register Office, London"]

And what about the Son? The last trace of any activity from William Bullock [junior], who, in 1825 until 1826, together the German collector Ferdinand Deppe, was; "... the two first naturalist who ever collected birds in México for scientific purposes.*" (Stresemann, 1954, The Condor 56, pp.86-92) ... seems to be from 17 July 1826 when Deppe met him, at the Bullocks's place at "Rincon de Temascaltepec", in Mexico.

After that Bullock junior seems to have simply vanished from the face of Earth!?

But I think it´s fair to assume he was still alive in 1840, as he is mentioned in is Father's will (dated, and republished, in May 1840).

Anyone who know of anything additional (or contradictory) on either one of them?

Either way: enjoy!

Björn

Last edited:
By the way, the Title of Swainson paper(s) from 1827 is: "A Synopsis of the Birds discovered in Mexico by W. Bullock, F.L.S. and H.S., and Mr. William Bullock, jun." ...

I pretty sure that "F.L.S." means Fellow of the Linnean Society, but what doest the "H.S." stands for?

(Fellow of the ) Horticultural Society [i.e. (Royal) Horticultural Society (of London)], like in this link, here ... or?
--

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Fellow of the Horticultural Society it is. ...
Laurent, so I thought, but good to get it confirmed.

And, Martin ... no, nope, apparently not, I cannot find the Costeloe paper in my List of references. From whats told in the Abstract I don´t expecxt to find much info regarding the Son, but I was surprised to note that he didn't´t write "ca." in connection to 1773, Senior's birth year, which makes me a bit curious ... I will check it out.

Björn

FWIW: Others than us Ornithologists have been trying to track down William Bullock (Senior), here, but with little more success than what we find in the paper by Edward P. Alexander (1985). Beware; it´s a pretty winding (hard-to-follow) UK Genealogy thread.
--

Last edited:
Totally tangentally, both Bullocks traveled in Mexico with Thomas Gillow a jewller from England who moved to Mexico in 1819. His son became Archbishop of Oaxaca Eulogio Gillow.

Mark, the (earthly) Father of Archbishop Eulogio Gillow (y Zavalza) (1841–1922) was apparently Thomas Gillow (1797–1877), from Liverpool, who emigrated to Mexico in 1819, this far I´m all with you ... but where did you find that "both Bullocks traveled in Mexico" with him?

No doubt, just curious!

--

Last edited:
William Bullock: Connoisseur and Virtuoso of the Egyptian Hall : Piccadilly to Mexico (1773-1849), by Michael P. Costeloe. HiPLAM monograph series, Bristol: 2008. Pp viii, 244; illustrated (16 colour plates).
Anyone who have read, or have access to, this book?

--

Last edited:
In the book Six Months' Residence and Travels in Mexico by Bullock he mentions he and his son traveling with Gillow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back