• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st Eagle (1 Viewer)

tominrom

This is my 1st eagle photo. We don't normally have eagles in this part of NY. I heard one was seen at a nearby lake. I drove to the lake and got there just at the right time. He was approximately 1/2 mile away. I used a D70 with 80-400 VR zoomed all the way out (600mm equivalent) and then did a 100% crop in Photoshop. Its not real good but he did not stay around very long. This was the 1st time I tried to photograph a bird in flight. It's not as easy as it looks. Before zooming to 100% I thought I had missed him all together.

Attachments

• _DSC2251-copy.jpg
    _DSC2251-copy.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 237
Well done - I am sure this will spur you on to get better shots. It just goes to show that you have to some how get much closer to the birds. If you doubled the power of your lens it would still be a small dot in the frame.

The only time I saw an eagle in the wild was whilst on holiday on the Scottish / English border. I was driving down this country lane which had a stone wall running along side it and some trees over hanging it on a double bend in the road. The eagle was just sitting on the wall as close as any thing as we slowly drove past because of the bends in the road. God what would I have given to have a camera with me at the time.

Robert

Lovely photo of a Baldy.

I do have to disagree with you when you say you don't normally have eagles where you are. You are in a very good location for eagles. You have lakes and rivers all over the place. I imagine you could find some very good areas that are condusive to nesting eagles or even eagles that will winter over for part of the season. I suggest keeping you eyes to the sky. You might see more eagles than you thought were around!!

Elizabeth

birdpotter said:
Lovely photo of a Baldy.

I do have to disagree with you when you say you don't normally have eagles where you are. You are in a very good location for eagles. You have lakes and rivers all over the place. I imagine you could find some very good areas that are condusive to nesting eagles or even eagles that will winter over for part of the season. I suggest keeping you eyes to the sky. You might see more eagles than you thought were around!!

Elizabeth
We do have some eagles in NY but from what I hear they are a lot further up in the Adironidacks Mountains. An article in the local newspaper (which also had a photo by one of their photographers) said this one most likely stopped here while migrating further north. I just happened to be in the right place (sort of) at the right time and with my camera.

tominrom said:
We do have some eagles in NY but from what I hear they are a lot further up in the Adironidacks Mountains. An article in the local newspaper (which also had a photo by one of their photographers) said this one most likely stopped here while migrating further north. I just happened to be in the right place (sort of) at the right time and with my camera.

I think you'd be surprised. I live in Troy slightly north of Albany and saw one just the other day going down the Hudson. Not even a rural area.
Maybe it would be more likely to see wintering eagles than nesting in your area. I am not too clear on what their specifications for habitat for nesting are(maybe someone else from NY could give a little more info); I know they aren't too keen on being around too much human activity, but I know they are all over NY.
You were definitely very lucky to spot one, though. They are such a magnificent bird at any time to see soaring through the skies or perched in a tree.
Like I said keep your eyes open, even if they are 'just' migrating, if one does it, you could more than likely see more.
And remember newspapers aren't always the best sources for birdwatchers!!

Elizabeth

I agree, great photo!! something I've learned is to put your camera on repeat. you'll take 80 photos and 2 or three will be sharper because the bird will stall entering a thermal or the apex of a turn, etc.
There is an active eagle nest in se Tennessee if anyone is close enough to have a look, I'll be happy to give directions. (useless without a scope)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back