• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eponyms in German journals (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
Work continues in bringing HBWAlive Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology up to date. A substantial portion of the scientific names still unseen by me are contained in German publications not yet found on BHL or still to be viewed at Tring or South Kensington. Some of the older journals are listed below; any input, suggested etymologies, copies of the relevant papers, etc., would be very much appreciated.

Allgemeine Deutsche Naturhistorische Zeitung. Dresden & Leipzig.
1857 Strix kirchhoffii A. E. Brehm, p. 440

Jahresberichte über die Wirksamkeit und den Zustand der Naturforschenden Gesellschaft in Emden.
1851 Turdus mure Kreling, p. 22

Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin
1931 Pinicola enucleator stschur Portenko, 17, p. 422
1931 Xanthotis subfrenata kingwalip Mayr, 17, p. 663
1937 Uria lomvia eleonorae Portenko, 22, p. 227
1940 Passer rutilans lisarum Stresemann, 24, p. 72

Ornithologische Monatsberichte. Berlin.
1908 Riparia ducis Reichenow, 16, p. 81
1932 Edolisoma tenuirostre edithae Stresemann, 40, p. 109
1933 Tribura tacsanowskia chui Yen, 41, p. 15
1933 Pternistis afer tornowi Meise, 41, pp. 141+
1934 Serinus mozambicus gertrudis Grote, 42, p. 87
1934 Pycnonotus tricolor naumanni Meise, 42, p. 116

Verhandlungen der Ornithologischen Gesellschaft in Bayern. München.
1927 Chloroceryle americana mathewsii Laubmann, 17, p. 126

Allgemeine Deutsche Naturhistorische Zeitung. Dresden & Leipzig.
1857 Strix kirchhoffii A. E. Brehm, p. 440

A reprint of the original description can be seen here. The dedication is thus:
Der königl. Hannöversche Herr Major Kirchhoff zu Schäferhof wird uns, dem Vater und den Söhnen erlauben, ihm aus wahrer Verehrung und Dankbarkeit diese geringe Huldigung darzubringen.

Available in North America:
http://books.google.com/books?id=WC1EAAAAYAAJ&dq=Strix+kirchhoffii+Brehm&source=gbs_navlinks_s . Page 440.
St. Kirchoffii, nobis ** Kirchhofs Schleiereule.
**) Viro generosissimo, amico magnanimo et Ornithologiae fautori peritissimo hanc avem pulchram dedicant animo grato et reverenti pater et filii Brehm.

The man's noble , generous friend and supporter knowledgeable about this beautiful bird Ornithologiae dedicate gratitude and reverence for the father and son Brehm?? Google translate .

Silly me, I pressed the wrong key - old age creeping on. Perhaps Richard or one of the other komputorfuehrers could transfer this thread across?

1908 Riparia ducis Reichenow, 16, p. 81
Also here for non-US readers (GoogleBook link in any case not readily accessible from Europe).

Michael's interpretation, that the three names on this page are dedications to Adolf Friedrich of Mecklenburg is interesting. Nobilis, -is, -e (= noble/high-born, but also famous/celebrated, as well as superior/excellent) is an adjective, and the name is marked as variable in H&M4. But under Michael's reading, nobilis is here used substantively in the genitive case, hence invariable (= "of the nobleman"; the substantive use is acknowledged by Lewis & Short ["Hence, subst.: nōbĭlis, is, m., a nobleman"]; note that the genitive happens to be identical to the nominative).

PS - "Viro generosissimo, amico magnanimo et Ornithologiae fautori peritissimo hanc avem pulchram dedicant animo grato et reverenti pater et filii Brehm." = "The father and the sons Brehm dedicate this beautiful bird with a grateful and respectful mind to the most-noble man, high-minded friend, and most-skilled supporter of Ornithology."
(The word sequence departs too much from that used in English, Google gets easily lost in such cases. ;))

Last edited:
Thanks Laurent:
"The father and the sons Brehm dedicate this beautiful bird" Could this be evidence that Father and Son were the authors of this name?

Could this be evidence that Father and Son were the authors of this name?
This simple sentence would not be enough. By default the author of a name is always the person who publishes it in a way that makes it available. To attribute the name to someone else, you need evidence, from the original work, that this person was BOTH responsible for the name AND fulfilled some other requirements for its availability. Here, this would mean evidence that this person wrote the descriptive text that made the name available.
(Note that "sons" is plural, both in Latin [pater et filii] and German [post#2, by Michael: "dem Vater und den Söhnen"]. They were three.)

Last edited:
●Jahresberichte über die Wirksamkeit und den Zustand der Naturforschenden Gesellschaft in Emden.
1851 Turdus mure Kreling, p. 22.
I have not found this online but it is in the Smithsonian and Biodiversity Heritage Library has it on a list of works to digitize.
In an article in JFO Reichenbach reviewed it and the title is Verzeichniss der von dem Herrn Major Kreling zu
Padang im J. 1852 geschenkten Vogel. So the date is 1852 not 1851. The article starts on page 20. Padang is in Sumatra. In his review Reichenbach mentions some Turdus species but not mure. I have seen Major von Kreling as his name also. His first name starts with a W.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/49195#page/784/mode/1up .

Last edited:
Parrot makes sense because of the shape of the bill. But rat? I suppose a flock of hungry Pine Grosbeaks could damage orchards, in a rat like way? In HBW alive Mr. Jobling says "?Toponym". Which I thought it was too.

Pallas wrote: "Petropoli Finskoi Papogai." This would mean that in St-Petersburg, the bird was named "Finskoi Papogai", ie., "Finnish Parrot".
("Finnish Parrot" in Russian is Финский попугай: Finskiy popugay--not exactly the same, but close.)
The Ukrainian word may be completely unrelated; in any case, there is apparently no equivalent similar word for "rat" in Russian. But this Ukrainian word is why images of rats appear among the images of Pine Grosbeaks, when you search Google for images of "щур".

Last edited:
Re Pinicola enucleator stschur Portenko, 1931, many thanks for drawing attention to Pallas 1811 (who also commented that the name of the Pine Grosbeak in St Petersburg was "Finnish Parrot"). The origin of the name had been staring me in the face all the time, i.e. in H. I. Jørgensen, 1958, Nomina Avium Europaearum, p. 94. I shall consult it more often if Russian names baffle me.

1933 Tribura tacsanowskia chui Yen, 41, p. 15

I was actually able to find the dedication in "snippet" view in Google Books (see attached, from p. 16). It reads:
Ich benenne diesen Vogel zu Ehren von Prof. Chu, vormaligem Direktor der Sun-Yatsen Universität, der unseren Expeditionen alle erforderlichen Unterstützungen erteilt hat und noch erteilt.
"I name this bird in honor of Prof. Chu, former director of Sun-Yatsen University, who has granted our expeditions all necessary support" etc.

Attachments

• OrnMonatsb.png
    OrnMonatsb.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 63
1934 Pycnonotus tricolor naumanni Meise, 42, p. 116
Franz Andreas Naumann 1891-1960 . Naumann-Reichert Expedition 1930-1933. Ubersee Museum Bremen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back