• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Striated heron in Coto 47 (1 Viewer)

ManakusCR

Last September 5th Johan Fernandez and some friends went to the southern pacific of CR, to Coto 47 by Villa Neily looking for the already established Savanna hawk, which there were not able to find, but they did better! they found an striated heron, this extremely rare heron (once considered conspecific with green heron Butorides virescens) had been seen in CR apparently 3 times only, so of course we had to try our luck and try to locate it following Johan's suggestions.

We went on the 8th and were very lucky to find it. The heron was in a big pond with floating vegetation, feeding and moving from place to place withing an area of approximately 50 square meters.

In addition to this already successful morning (considering that we found it at 7:05am) we got some other interesting birds including 3 lifers total for me; Northen harrier, Savanna hawk and striated heron.
https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net...=4da610c5869a299b77a6196ce39edfb3&oe=54CCBB20

Nice find, glad you got to see it! I have been seeing the photos on Facebook and have been dying to head down there but just no time to do it. Maybe a Wattled Jacana will show up too?

We tried the wattled Jacana (and had tried it a few times now). But this time I learned form a local birder that the jacana is something you get sporadically and shows twice a year or so, and others say that the population is so small that chances to see it are really hard now that everything is flooded, nonetheless I had tried coto and La gamba during both wet and dry season and no luck. You never know right!

We tried the wattled Jacana (and had tried it a few times now). But this time I learned form a local birder that the jacana is something you get sporadically and shows twice a year or so, and others say that the population is so small that chances to see it are really hard now that everything is flooded, nonetheless I had tried coto and La gamba during both wet and dry season and no luck. You never know right!

Yes, one of those things that can show up any time down that way- just so few or vagrants. I bet we would have more records of them if there was more coverage in Coto and near the border. Same thing for Chomes- I always wonder how many rarities show up there with noone there to see them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back