• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Estonia news (1 Viewer)

Kaarel

This year we have the largest red-footed falcon invasion of all times. It started in the beginning of August and the number of birds observed is up to 148 by now.

Two days ago a very uncommon invasion started - black woodpeckers. In 3 migration points 58, 20 and 17 birds were counted.

Hi Kaarel and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Thanks so much for starting this thread - I'll look forward to hearing the news from your country - as I'm sure others will too.

Steppe Eagle was found yesterday at Audru wetland in Pärnu county. 2nd observation for Estonia.
Tried to twitch it today. Bird was seen in the morning but did not show later in the day, despite 10 other twitchers looking for it.

Steller's Eiders are wintering on the coast of Saaremaa island again. Seems to be declining numbers every year. Looks like around 120 this winter.

At least two Hawk Owls wintering again at Vormsi island. Good numbers of birds of prey about, especially at Saaremaa island. On 26th of January in one system of fields 13 Rough-legged Buzzards, 9 Common Buzzards, 2 Hen Harriers, 4 White-tailed Eagles, 1 Peregrine and 1 Golden Eagle were observed.

Spring migrants are arriving very early this year again. First Graylag Geese, Stock Doves and Lapwings seen. As a special treat, one Red-breasted Goose, was observed in Pärnu yesterday. A new winter species for Estonia.

Hi Kaarel,

I live in Helsinki and would like to go see the Great Snipe lekking. When is it best time? Is it easy to find the sites or should I try to have some help (I'm not the most skilled birder yet)?

Thanks
Luis

There are some sites in eastern finland. As for how easy they are can't help...

Humm, I will check but according to this website, they are critically endangered in Finland (1-5 breeding pairs) so I would assume that any possible lekking sites would be totally protected and off-limits.
http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/linnut/great-snipe

And in the end is easier (and cheaper) to go to Estonia for a weekend than to eastern Finland.

Cheers
Luis

Humm, I will check but according to this website, they are critically endangered in Finland (1-5 breeding pairs) so I would assume that any possible lekking sites would be totally protected and off-limits.
http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/linnut/great-snipe

And in the end is easier (and cheaper) to go to Estonia for a weekend than to eastern Finland.

Cheers
Luis

http://atlas3.lintuatlas.fi/results/species/great snipe

looks about right...

It was on Gosneys video guide to Finland. Very late night required and good info.

Hi Kaarel,

I live in Helsinki and would like to go see the Great Snipe lekking. When is it best time? Is it easy to find the sites or should I try to have some help (I'm not the most skilled birder yet)?

Thanks
Luis

Hi Luis,

Best time is in middle of May. They are category I protected species so it is forbidden to visit the lekking sites. There is one lekking site, near Tartu, that birders are allowed to visit.

On the last day of collecting winter ticks Ringed Plover(3rd winter observation) and Horned Larks were found on Saaremaa island. On the first day of March one Red Kite appeared on Saaremaa and the other on Hiiumaa island.

Ring Ouzels and Hoopoes are on the move. Few seen almost every day.
Good raptor migration in NE Estonia has produced several Pallid Harriers and the 3rd Steppe Eagle for Estonia.

Last migrants have arrived and the best time for spring mega rarities is starting. To confirm it, Estonia's 9th Cinereous Vulture (Aegypius monachus) was found yesterday. Several Red Kites were seen last week and Black Kites are becoming more and more common.

First breeding pair of Red Kites found for Estonia near the southern border. Also the most popular birding event/race Estonian Open coming up on 15th of August. Check it out from here and come take part.

Record Coal Tit migration numbers in several hotspots in Estonia. Almost 50 000 Coal Tits counted at Puise peninsula couple of days ago. Several Pallid Harriers and Red-footed Falcons also spotted in recent days.

Autumn migration is peaking. Thousands of geese have arrived, 5000 cranes in night roosting site, thousands upon thousands of ducks everywhere. Yellow-browed Warbler found yesterday at Puise peninsula which I missed by 5 minutes. First Hawk Owl of the season found on 18th of Sep.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back