• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late October Top Ten Places To Visit (1 Viewer)

bluesinlondon

Hi Northumberlanders,

I'm making my first ever foray to Northumberland at the end of October and would be grateful for some tips for maximising my limited birding time.

Where are the 'must visit' places, both on the coast and up on moors?

Any recommendations for pubs, restaurants, cafe's, campsites (we'll be campervan based) and hotels (if we get too wet and miserable in the van).

Any other recommendations, birding or otherwise to help me an my (non-birding) wife get the most out of our trip?

What can we expect weather-wise?

Thanks in advance.

Where are you staying, and will you have a car?

Holy Island is a great place to visit (for birding or otherwise) at any time of year, but make sure you check the tides and don't get marooned, or worse...

Birding is good all the way up the coast from, but Cresswell to Amble offers lots of off-shore birding in Druridge Bay, and several nature reserves and lakes with hides (heading north: Cresswell Pond, Druridge Pools, East Chevington, Hauxley). Further north, there's Low Newton, Long Nanny, Beadnell, and Budle Bay before you reach Holy Island causeway.

All along the coast, as well as birding, there are castles galore (mostly NT and English Heritage, but some privately owned) and wild coastline you won't find in many places in England! Other NT places well worth a visit include Cragside and Wallington (excellent chance of seeing red squirrels, too), and privately owned Alnwick Castle is also a good day out, with the castle and grounds, water-garden, and giant tree-house to see.

If you're a hill-walker, there are plenty of excellent half-day or full-day treks, during which you might hardly meet anyone else. Some places to start include Harthope Valley, Upper Coquet Valley, Breamish Valley (up to Linhope Spout)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back