• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Brighton Local Patch (1 Viewer)

Jay23

I've been visiting Hollingbury Camp, just north of Brighton for a few years but only recently started looking for and listing the birds, previously I have concentrated on the plants - there's some nice chalk downland specialities there. Anyway, I started birding in earnest last year and as the Camp is only a few minutes from my house by foot it has become my 'local patch'. I get up there between two and four times a week, often very early in the morning come rain or shine (and lately, snow) and am gradually getting to know the avifauna. All the usual stuff is there of course but I've been delighted to discover large numbers of Goldcrests, linnets and yellowhammers, things which I had simply never noticed before. I've yet to see anything genuinely unusual but nevertheless am enjoying just getting to know the patch. For example, I'm still learning how to predict whether it'll be good, average or terrible ( Just wood pigeons, BH gulls and magpies). There seems to be very little correlation between temperature and bird activity, and as for time of day, well I thought that recieved wisdom was that early mornings and evenings were always best, not so in this case as midday can often be more productive! There was a massive crop of haws on the hawthorn this winter and I have been dreaming about running into a bunch of Waxwings, but so far drawn a blank (sigh). I'm very much looking forward to the spring influx now that the snow is finally receding, and am hoping for winchats and redstarts (well I can hope can't I?). Anyway seen so far- Not a particularly impressive list is it? However - this means theres loads more to add!

Black headed gull, Blackcap, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff ,Collared Dove, Crow, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Green Woodpecker, Herring gull, Jackdaw, Jay, Kestrel, Lesser Whitethroat, Linnet, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Redwing, Robin,Skylark, Song Thrush, Starling, Stonechat, Wood Pigeon,Yellowhammer.

Chris

Hollingbury Camp today

Well it was a pleasant walk I guess, and yes most of the ususals were about, mislead (as usual) by great tits song and by a dunnock calling really loudly. Did have one pulse raising moment when I heard a call that was entirely new to me, a regular high pitched squeak, I approached slowly and as unobtrusively as possible to find a guy pulling a golf cart with a wheel bearing in need of oiling.....
Saw some lesser Burbury capped chavs as well, they appeared commensal with a large vicious looking canine, so I kept my distance. At least the majority of the snow has gone now and the plants, particularly the orchids are starting to grow, but as for the birds, oh well, maybe next time..... B :)

I made a similar reply to this one on Jakes thread about Brighton. This was one of the sites covered regularly and reported upon in birdwatching magazine. Whoever the guy was who wrote in, he covered the marina and Hollingbury camp. He definitely saw some good birds there. The records must be with the county recorder. Good luck John O'

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back