• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does this work? (1 Viewer)

Dave Adshead

How much!
I was watching this White Throated Kingfisher at Bharatpur, last month, it kept landing on this reed and bending it over at an angle. I thought I saw a picture.
Can any one else see one, does it work and could it be improved?

Comments welcome.
Thanks and best wishes
Dave

Attachments

• Kingfisher-Sillhouette-0395.jpg
    Kingfisher-Sillhouette-0395.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 363
Yes I see what you mean - it's frustrating - teasing us to be a good shot.
I have a number of shots of grasses that are almost but not quite. After much effort I've given them up as a bad job.

I've sat and looked at yours from a distance with my eyes squinted and I feel if you can air brush out the distracting background in the upper half of the frame you may have something.

Best of luck with your efforts

Robert

I like this shot very much so IMHO yes it does "work".
As regards improvement, for me personally the only definite improvement would be to clone out or crop out the curled grass at left which is a distraction.
Other than that can only suggest alternative treatments. Here's a version which is slightly more cropped, has a graduated darken at top and is toned.

Attachments

• toned.jpg
    toned.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 277
normjackson said:
I like this shot very much so IMHO yes it does "work".
As regards improvement, for me personally the only definite improvement would be to clone out or crop out the curled grass at left which is a distraction.
Other than that can only suggest alternative treatments. Here's a version which is slightly more cropped, has a graduated darken at top and is toned.

A nice effort - the toning has made a big improvement.
Added some depth to the image.

I just hope other artistic types have a bash with this one.

May inspire us to revisit some of our nearly but not quite shots.

Thanks Robert

Last edited:
Really works for me, a lovely composition. Basically a silhouette but the key is that you can see exactly what bird it is (even joe public would recognise it as a kingfisher).

cheers,
Andy

Hi Dave,

Lovely picture just as it is. What you do depends upon your degree of mastery of digital manipulation and whether you approve of altering a natural composition.

If I were to alter it at all, I would do the following:
Shorten the left hand reed.
Darken the upper corners of the image.
Rotate the top part of the main diagonal reed 60 degrees clockwise. I have done this because it is such a strong diagonal as well as the kingfisher facing right, everything leadds the eye out the top right. You need a stopper to bring the eye back round across the base and back to the bird. My result is attached below.

Attachments

• Kingfisher-Sillhouette-0395-.jpg
    Kingfisher-Sillhouette-0395-.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 215
Awards for photograph

Dave Adshead said:
Keith,

Thanks for that, I do like this, each attempt has given me food for thought.
Best wishes everyone.

I thought that I would update the members of this forum who took the time to critique my photograph of the White Throated Kingfisher. Thanks to the advice you gave I played with photograph and produced the attached image. 1st thumbnail.
I then decided to enter a print into a photographic competition run by my employers, well I'm pleased to say that Nationally it was Highly Commended and Regionally it won Best Print for 2005. So in all I got 2 medals to keep and a cup which I keep for a year. 2nd thumbprint

So once again thank you for your help and advice.
Best wishes
Dave

Attachments

• Kingfisher-Comp-Entry-Award.jpg
    Kingfisher-Comp-Entry-Award.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Awards-_G3G6218.jpg
    Awards-_G3G6218.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 151
Got to admit Dave, that I like your treatment the best - good move to clone out all the emerging grasses in the background, and the slight "posterisation" of the ripple works well too.

Wow Keith, I might as well give up now.

I am new to digital photography and try my best to take natural photos so as to avoid editing but what you have done is beyond my basic talents.

I love the changes.

Catherine

keith_kdy said:
Hi Dave,

Lovely picture just as it is. What you do depends upon your degree of mastery of digital manipulation and whether you approve of altering a natural composition.

If I were to alter it at all, I would do the following:
Shorten the left hand reed.
Darken the upper corners of the image.
Rotate the top part of the main diagonal reed 60 degrees clockwise. I have done this because it is such a strong diagonal as well as the kingfisher facing right, everything leadds the eye out the top right. You need a stopper to bring the eye back round across the base and back to the bird. My result is attached below.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back